2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Newbie Alert  (Read 3461 times)

Offline stifrk

• Fry
Newbie Alert
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:31:05 »
So I never noticed this section when I first started posting here, so kinda skipped my intro and just went right into asking newbie questions.

A little about me...

I just moved to Huber Heights from Columbus, and I always wanted to be a marine biologist.  Instead I am a banker with Chase... lol funny how life leads you down different paths.  My name is Levi and I am 28 yrs old. Anyways I have always had freshwater aquariums since as long as I can remember and when I was 14 my mother encouraged me to go ask the owner of a Saltwater/freshwater store that was located in Sidney if I could volunteer there.

Ever since I have always wanted to do saltwater and I got my first saltwater tank as a 65g predrilled.  I honestly have NO clue about MOST anything that people talk about.  You say Nitrates/nitrites blah blah I really dont know much about it.  I do know some general things, or at least I think I do.  LOL enough to keep a 65g going and not lose anything.

But anyways thats me in a nut shell.  I am doing a project tank and still in the planning/experimenting stages but as soon as I figure out how to do what I want with it I would like to throw a little bbq as a meet and greet.

Offline HUNGER

Re: Newbie Alert
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 14:49:23 »
well welcome can wait to see ur tank in progress
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 20:07:48 »
Welcome.  Plenty of experienced folks here that dont mind answering any question, Ask away
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 20:13:19 »
Where was a SW store in Sidney that long ago?

Offline stifrk

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 20:43:51 »
Right off of I-75 in the complex that used to have I think a CVS or something and a chinese resturant and maybe a big lots? I cant remember that far back. There is an Arbys in the same parking lot and a subway, a kids daycare, um I think a laundry mat and I think the place where you pull in there is a Shell station there.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 21:50:23 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef Levi

Offline stifrk

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 22:58:48 »
what type of coral is that in your avatar?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 23:08:37 »
It is a zoanthid also know as button polyps or sea mat. They are fairly common, inexpensive and easy to care for. Great coral to start with in your reef.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 23:40:47 »
They are fairly common, inexpensive and easy to care for

ok.... How much did you pay for that morph? :laugh:

there are really cheap ones, but the really awesome looking ones cost more. Check out the "zoa collection" thread. We have some sweet ones in the club. Hopefully. Brian starts fraging for our swap  ;)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline stifrk

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 01:02:23 »
well hopefully when i get it up and running i want a huge colony of that specific on in the avatar! its awesome looking. most zoas that i have seen in the stores dont look like that at all.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 07:30:42 »
Right off of I-75 in the complex that used to have I think a CVS or something and a chinese resturant and maybe a big lots? I cant remember that far back. There is an Arbys in the same parking lot and a subway, a kids daycare, um I think a laundry mat and I think the place where you pull in there is a Shell station there.

I know where that's at. Never knew there used to be a pet store there. Learn something new everyday.

Offline stifrk

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 09:11:44 »
I also volunteerd at Hawks Aquatics in Lima while it was open for 2 summers.  That was located off Breese rd right near the corner of shawnee rd.