2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Looking for LED  (Read 2862 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Looking for LED
« on: October 13, 2012, 11:47:26 »
Anyone have any used LED sets they want to sell. I have a bad ballast on my Frag Tank so was thinking of replacing with a LED. Looking for coverage for 2x4 tank.

Offline salt newbie

• Juvenile
Re: Looking for LED
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2012, 12:39:02 »
I have the two 18" fixtures i got a month or so ago i would consider selling!! http://www.aquatraders.com/EVO-18-LED-Reef-Bright-p/56231.htm
im just using them before and after my halides as moonlights!! Ill take $100 for both!!

Offline volcano

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2012, 16:45:46 »
Brian, I have an mu 135.  It is an 115 watt, that basically compares to a 250 mh.  I can sell it for $255.  That is what I paid for the light and shipping and its awesome.  Has it has white, blue, and uv violet lights.  The blue moon lights are incredible! And only been used a month.  Don't forget your trap btw.  I will also trade for a nice mh.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2012, 18:04:18 »
why would you want LED's on a frag tank ? just curious here.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 19:32:54 »

Why wouldn't you want LED's over a frag tank is the better question. They run cool, no heat added to your tank, and the lighting intensity doesn't change like conventional bulbs.  I run LED's over everything so that my lighting is consistent from 180g DT, to 40g FT to 20g FT.

Offline volcano

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 20:21:19 »
Why wouldn't you want LED's over a frag tank is the better question. They run cool, no heat added to your tank, and the lighting intensity doesn't change like conventional bulbs.  I run LED's over everything so that my lighting is consistent from 180g DT, to 40g FT to 20g FT.

Exactly!

Offline volcano

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2012, 20:22:24 »

Because the work.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2012, 21:11:22 »
 it's funny how they work so well. every vendor at MACNA runs MH over their personal tanks an grow out tanks for their business. Sanjay(lighting guru btw) STILL runs MH on all his tanks except a small nano. hmmmmm...wonder what they know ??  ENOUGH said !!!! this was a question to Brian. just wondering why he is thinking of switching when he obviously has good results now. not a discussion of LED's vs all other lighting. not beating a dead horse here.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 00:09:41 »
I was wanting to try them. Haven't had LED's before. I finally found my receipt today for the ballast and it looks like it has 3 year warrantee so I should be able to get it repaired. Thanks for the options.

Offline volcano

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 04:12:22 »
it's funny how they work so well. every vendor at MACNA runs MH over their personal tanks an grow out tanks for their business. Sanjay(lighting guru btw) STILL runs MH on all his tanks except a small nano. hmmmmm...wonder what they know ??  ENOUGH said !!!! this was a question to Brian. just wondering why he is thinking of switching when he obviously has good results now. not a discussion of LED's vs all other lighting. not beating a dead horse here.

No, not "ENOUGH said"....That is because they are old school and have not had a chance to try some of the latest LEDs.  I don't know how many times on another local forum, I have heard the so called "top dogs" hate on LEDs, yet they have never even tried them. Which is basically why I like this forum over the other.  You know the saying "people are afraid of change".  The color I am getting out of my LEDs is insane!  Out of the 2 - 115 watt LED lights I have on one of my DTs, I am only using 230 watts of energy.  However, the two lights are comparable to 500 watts from MH lighting.   Not to mention, how much cooler they run.  Therefore, they do not increase the aquariums temps. I have all types of corals growing with great success......"just saying"!  Not to mention Dave at Vivid Aquariums in LA has an 800 gallon DT and uses MH on half  his tank and LEDs on the other half and has no problems growing any type of coral  under either side.  He even did an experiment on the tank to debunk the idea that LEDs are not as good as MH and he is growing out coral for a very large business as well.  :)

Lazy, That is good you have a 3 yr. warranty.  It saves you a lot of money by having them replace the ballast.  However, I assure you certain types of LEDs work amazingly.  The new LED technology is far superior.  Like I said my 115watt, is comparable to a 250 watt mh and the color is far more brilliant.  Plus it cuts down on energy.  :)  If you decide you want to try a nice LED, I have a 3rd light just sitting here in the box.  I haven't had a chance to put it over the latest tank. I used it for a little less than a month until my 3rd light arrived, then put it back in the box.  I have not had a chance to switch out the lights on my other DT. 
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:35:28 by volcano »

Offline volcano

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 04:26:57 »

Sorry somehow dbl. posted.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 04:32:07 by volcano »

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 08:27:14 »
Honestly I feel that it all come down to personal preference. Like what's you favorite color. It would b hard to get a group of random people to agree on a single favorite color.
There is no question that LEDs grow corals. There is no question MHs grow coral. Just which do you like better? We should all keep an open mind when comes to this hobby. Just think 20 years ago people thought it would be impossible for the average guy to keep corals in a home aquarium. Now many of us not only keep but also propagate corals.
As far as no one MANCA using LEDs? I was not @ MACNA, but thru the wonderful power of the Internet, I seen many pictures of LEDs over display & frag tanks. I also listen regularly to a podcast called MASNA live that interviewed several speaks that was going to be @ MACNA. They where almost split LEDs vs MHs. I say almost because, there where more MH uses than LEDs. But not to many of the MH users had anything bad to say about LEDs, other than they see no point in the initial investment & stress that it would put on there livestock.  They just prefer to keep what has been working for them. I understand that fear of change & why do what's not broke attitude.

I don't like to get mixed up in debates because it usually never ends well. But I just wanted to put my worthless 2 penny's in.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 09:05:19 »
 when asked what the vendor's used on their personal tanks an growout's vast majority said MH. but yes at the event they were using LED's. but why not use them. smaller package an can dial color into make the corals look great. plus alot are selling the fixtures. i AM not against LED's at all. just honestly feel that they will be alot better in few more years. after they have been used for 3-5 yrs on tanks. i have no heat issues at all. actually could use more heat in the winter. but i know alot of other's battle heat issue's. so for me i will keep using what i have. myself i can replace alot of bulbs for the initial investment.

once again i was asking Brian what his thoughts were. was not wanting or asking for the "chevy vs ford" "apple vs droid" debate.   

Offline volcano

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 12:58:43 »
"chevy vs ford" "apple vs droid" debate.   

That is easy Ford over Chevy (GM stands for Government Motors).  Android over Apple.  (Apple doesn't support Flash).   :P  J/K.   I also use MH lighting and wouldn't convert my tanks with it.  I only have LEDs on one tank because I started it that way and I do not like switching once things are going well.  Either way, both work excellent.   Sorry I had to share my opinion. 

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2012, 17:59:54 »
I agree that it comes to personal preference. If it works good for you why change. I run leds exclusively on my tank.
Chromiumlux

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2012, 18:09:24 »
I agree that it comes to personal preference. If it works good for you why change. I run leds exclusively on my tank.

an your's looks VERY NICE !!!!!!

Offline volcano

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2012, 20:22:22 »
Brian, have you looked into the LEDs at Marine Solutions in Waynesville?  They are only $219 and have a total off 55 lights.  They are 120 watts fixtures that compare to a little more than a 250 watt MH light.  That is a very good price and a quality LED with a 2yr. warranty.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2012, 21:09:35 »
Agreed that Chromilux's are some of the best I've seen.  Much better than mine, but I'm no where near finished yet.  As for growth, I feel that LED's will grow coral as good or better than Halides.  I've got no real test data, but both are more than capable of doing the job.

Here is a cruddy pic of my tank, but the growth is awesome....but I expect it to get better now that I'm addressing my chronically low PH and ALK.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2012, 04:02:11 »
Looks very nice, I like that you can dial in the color with LED's. Lately I have moved to enjoy a whiter look and would be nice to dial back the blue but to do that I have to change the bulbs.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2012, 09:25:28 »
Ya, mine is whiter than most......but I'm still missing some depth to the color spectrum yet.  I plan to address that with what I'll call a custom made stunner strip.  I plan on using Bridgelux LED's as they are cheaper and no matter what color you get they all run at the same current.  That will make it easy to mix and match and hopefully it help some of my lacking colors pop a bit more.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2012, 09:49:20 »
That is what I love about the LED.    I run mostly a white look through the day, but in the evening, I have the blues ramp down slower than the whites, so I get a nice blue look.

Offline volcano

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2012, 18:01:58 »
That is what I love about the LED.    I run mostly a white look through the day, but in the evening, I have the blues ramp down slower than the whites, so I get a nice blue look.

That is exactly what I do as well.  However, I do run all the colors from noon to 2pm.  I try to simulate the "high noon" effect.