2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: I got bored...  (Read 3391 times)

MechanicalEngineer

I got bored...
« on: June 24, 2008, 22:00:59 »
So, I got bored...which is never good in this hobby.  I decided I wanted to play experiments with the tank.   ::)

After a good bit of research, I decided to try the "Blu Coral Method" minus the human growth hormone (HGH).  Basically, it's a recipe of the freshest seafood plus some sugar.  Pleeeease don't try this without extensive research!!!  I'm still scared to death of crashing my tank.

Anyway, I made the "pappone" = recipe of seafood (this originates in Italy) a couple of days ago...and made WAAAY too much.  It's insane how little it takes to feed the tank with it.  I break off a piece 1/2 the size of my pinky nail for a feeding...and I made 5 freezer bags of it.

After 3 days of this, I have to say, I'm impressed.  I've been complaining about polyp extension lacking in my tank...but no more.  I have an Acropora Millepora that has polyps extending out from tentacle to tentacle of almost an inch.  Colors are already looking better, and everything just overall seems happier.  I haven't started dosing amino acids yet since they recommend dosing them after a couple of weeks.  I can't wait to see the difference then!!  (praying for no algae outbreaks)

If anyone else has tried this, I'd love to hear your results. 

Offline JoeAyers

Re: I got bored...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 23:24:08 »
What are you doing to keep your kh up?  Are you giving up water changes?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 06:32:08 »
No, I'm actually increasing water changes to help with nutrient export.  I've been dosing 2 part solution for a while. 

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 06:38:20 »
Good for you Nikki. I hope it works out well. I also got bored with the tank too the other day, and started a new method. I'll let you know how it goes once I see some results.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 09:27:29 »
Are you planning to run the full Blu method? Keeping your CA/ALK/MG levels very high?  I've been thinking about doing that but I need to do some other things 1st to get the tank ready for it.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 16:38:26 »
The *full* Blu Coral Method involves Human Growth Hormone (HGH), which I believe is illegal in the U.S.  Even if it wasn't illegal, I don't think I would go that far. 

I'm not running it as hard-core as some of the Italian tanks.  I'm feeding pappone an hour after the lights go out and keeping Alk/Ca/Mag levels high (although not at the very top levels...that scares me.)  I'm not feeding as much as they recommend either.  In a couple of weeks, I'll start dosing amino acids.  I know I probably won't see crazy results like some other people have reported as fast, but I'm going the safe route for now.  If it works, I'll increase stuff. 

I took some pictures last night.  I'll try to post.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 20:29:13 »
Sounds good. Let us know. IF I decide to do it I will go full out (minus the GH).  From what I've read on some Italian sites, most are not convinced that the GH does any more than the aminos for the PE. Post some pics when you get a chance.

Joe

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 21:00:47 »
Yeah, I won't go full blown until I get a bigger skimmer and a dosing pump.  Anyway, here's a picture I took of the polyp extension last night.  The lights were off, and I was using a flash, so the colors aren't great...but that's not the point.  The top polyp was about an inch in diameter.  It was nuts.  I've NEVER had polyp extension like this.