2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: need LED advice  (Read 1265 times)

Offline AdenHoed

• Fry
need LED advice
« on: June 17, 2012, 19:08:07 »
I have four systems that I am currently setting up.  Need some advice on the lighting systems

1)  265 gal bow front (72 x 34 x 25) with 125 refugium.
2)  220 gal (72x 24x30) with two 75 gal refugiums
3)  150 (48x24x30) with 125 gal refugium
4)  four 40 gallon longs to grow coral with 55 gal refugium

trying to choose LEDs that are off the shelf.  I don't know exactly what I am going to put in each aquarium.  I don't need all the bells and whistle (i.e. dimmable, lightning storm, mimic the sun going across the sky).  maybe moonlights on system 1, 2 and 3.   I am considering the eco ray 60d since I have them on my 110 (48x30x18) and the corals are doing great.  I am trying to stay around $4000 for all four systems.  I saw the lights being sold by Darin Schmidt.  any suggestions?

Offline larrynews

Re: need LED advice
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 19:42:49 »
as i sit here today i am still pleased with my marine solution lights, i'm still working on the right height for my tank, and i still have mh on the ends so until i have all leds i cant give a 100% yes, but i will probably order more.

i have a 125 sps tank

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 19:47:20 »
Nice to hear you are pleased Larry. We only have two left...LOL
John

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 19:49:03 »
I'm not sure I would pick LEDs until you know what you are putting in it.   If you are doing SPS or clams, then you will need much more powerful LED's that most other corals.

Your tanks being  >24" deep are going to be very problematic with normal LED's.    Most off the shelf fixtures can only get down to 20".   You will need to find someone that is willing to customize a commercial fixture with optics to deal with your depth.   I would say Marine Solutions has decent low cost customization system.   The other place I would look is orphek, these are going to be a bit pricey.

If you end up going SPS in most of your tanks, your $4k budget is going to vaporize.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 20:13:11 »
I only have 3 ai sols on my tank. I feel for good coverage I should have more, but for now the 3 will work. I have clams in mine. They are doing great. They have gotten fuller since I put them in there as well as gotten great color. I have them right under the LEDs. I also have sps that I have bleach from putting them in to much light. I bought these lights because i could get them in a couple of days and they ramped up & down. I personally don't like click light is on click light is off. Mine come up to the set % gradually and go to might gradually. Like a sun rise & set.  That is why I went when with them. I have had a problem with the fan on one, but it was taken care of so far thru AI. That's my 2 pennies.

Offline Bluewater

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 16:19:00 »
With those size tanks and your budget you may want to look into a DIY.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 16:33:51 »
The MS lights can be customized for you, and they are decent people to work with.  I didn't get a chance to see Darin's setup, but he seemed to know what he was talking about, so probably ok.  Don't know about a warranty with Darin, but you do get a warranty with the MS LED's.  If you want to go with something that is off the shelf, proven, analog dimmable, and configurable optically, you can also go with AI Sol's or AI Sol Super Blues.  I'd go with the AI Sol Super Blues with 70 deg optics, and a mix of CW, Cyan, and Royal Blue on each 3-chip module if it has to be a well known national brand.  You can change the optics yourself if you don't like the results.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...