2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: retro fit problem  (Read 1431 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
retro fit problem
« on: December 06, 2007, 19:51:49 »
I have a coralife metal halide retro-fit lighting system. the 175 watt halides have their own ballast and the actinics have their own as well.

when I turn on the actinics the bulbs just flicker, or come on dim, and the seem to shimmer almost flicker inside the bulb (if this makes sense)  once or twice the whole thing has come on perfect.  is this a ballast problem or a end cap problem.

my reef tank was at my dads house for almost a year while I was away playing ball and he tried his best.  when i got back i notice that the actinics  (the bulbs that were on it didnt work anymore.  Each end of each bulb had a black almst burnt ring around it. 

anyone have any ideas??  what the problem could be?

Offline Joel

• Adult
Re: retro fit problem
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 20:34:38 »
I'd start with new lamps if you have not already, old lamps are often dim. If new lamps do not fix the issue than go with new ballasts.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 20:42:26 »
thats what I was thinking.  I just got the two new lamps in.  i guess its a new ballast for me. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 20:56:39 »
That sounds likely.

Perhaps trying the lamps in another fixture to see how they perform elsewhere might be helpful in diagnosis too

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 20:59:22 »
I am just upset and at my wits end with my lights.  I look into the tank about 5 minutes ago and notice that my halides look like they are giving off two different spectrems of light.  they are both 175 watt 14 k hamilton bulbs.  The one side looks crisp blue/white and the other side almost looks like it is a 10 or 12 k bulb. its almost looks like the one side is in a small shadow campared to the other side.  My finacee had no idea what I was talking about and said that I was crazy.  those who have kept reefs and halides know what i am talking about.   I have had these bulbs on the tank for about 2 months.  

I just got my tank back maybe 3 months ago and there just seems to be sooo many gremlins with it now.  

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 21:01:43 »
i dont have anything else to try the actinics in.  I just got them in a less than a week ago. I put them on, fired up the tank.. the actinics looked and worked great.  they went off with the timer at night.  I was at work the next day when they came on. I checked them, and noticed the were flickering but not like a light bulb flickers.  the actinics were on, just very dim and they seem to be flickering inside the bulb itself.  if the whole darn thing didnt cost so much I would chuck it out the window right now. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2007, 09:09:50 »

I know that this opinion may not be encouraging (or popular with some people) but I've seen many people have problems with the Cora-life brand lighting systems (as well as other products). From what I have personally experienced and what I have seen on customer aquariums, I do not sell or suggest the use Cora-life products at all. There are many out there in a similar price bracket that are much better.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2007, 09:17:31 »
the problem I have is i dropped a chunk of change on it almost 400.  any other ideas out there for a lighting system.  I have two brand new 14 k hamilton bulbs (still in the box) and 2 40 watt actinic bulbs.  any other retro kits for a good price out there, or lighting kits in general.  I am looking at the most at 500 dollars to spend (thats if i have to) I put the new bulbs in and the halides look great, so really i do not need a new kit or lights so to speak. I just like the look of actinics in the morning, then the halides, then the actinics at night. 

I have a 75 gallon aquarium. 

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 10:20:56 »
okay.  upon taking down the system this is what I have found.  The one halide that is brighter than the other has several cracks in the glass... dont know how.  I have replace the two halide bulbs with the new bulbs that I have.  the halides look great.

with the actinics i was thinking.  could it just be an end cap problem?  replace all four endcaps before I go with a whole new setup.

Would like to still know whats out there that is good.  I was thinking, the hamilton kit with the power compacts and halides.