2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What kind of RO/DI unit?  (Read 3554 times)

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
What kind of RO/DI unit?
« on: March 16, 2008, 19:38:05 »
I’ve been searching for an RO/DI unit to save some money vs. buying water for top off’s and changes. Why kind is everyone using? Or does anyone have any suggests for a good one at a good price that won’t kill me in replacement cartridges?

Has anyone done any business with Buckeye Field Supply, if so are they worth going with?

MechanicalEngineer

Re: What kind of RO/DI unit?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 21:55:37 »
I've had great experience with BFS!  Very helpful & had great customer service.  I *think* mine is a coralife...cheaper brand, but hey, it works.  Replacement cartridges aren't too bad for cost.  If you order through a place like bulk reef supply, they're pretty inexpensive. 

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 20:40:44 »
Thanks for the suggestion, the cartridges are much cheaper from Bulk Reef Supply than anywhere else I found.

After doing a little more research I think I’m going with a unit from Buckeye and definitely going with cartridges from Bulk reef supply.

Thanks for the help

bigfalcon36

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 06:51:19 »
Airwaterice.com  I have the TyphoonIII and it's been great

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 10:21:04 »
Heres the unit I have and I like it.  It gets my ppm reading down to 002.  Just changed my filters for it the other day. works great. I built a little stand that my tank and filters sit on and it has the little spicket sitting on the top of it if I ever want a drink.

Inspired!!!

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 10:58:23 »
I may get flamed for this, but buy what you can afford and upgrade later if you need to. I started with the rock bottom bargain turd from ebay that was like $95 shipped. It kept my TDS at zero with a 100gallon system for about 9 months. I then added an add on canister refillable DI and put in new DI and it went back to zero. Eventually I replaced the RO membrane with a nicer Dow 75GPD. Still at zero. I've read all the arguments on RO/DI about you get what you pay for, but this is one area that I don't believe it. I still have less in mine than what I could get one from BFS or AWI. Now I got no support, but I didn't care since I knew what I needed to know. If you want the personal support go with BFS. If you want to be able to drop kick your set up go with BFS. But if all you can afford is the el cheapo from ebay, it is still 100000% better than tap and as long as you don't score touch downs and spike it on the ground it will last forever.

Joe

Offline saltybuckeye

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 13:00:08 »
I have had an ebay 100gpd unit for a couple of years now with no problems also.I also bought a dual inline tds meter off ebay that reads going into the unit and coming out.I have been very happy with it.

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 15:32:34 »
something to think about is what your paying for is the quality of the filters. The canister are all about the same. I got a kent marine dirt cheap and put good filters in it when i had thw extra money. So if money is tite just get a cheap ebay one, start saving your money and when you have then money replace your membrain with a good one.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 15:58:09 »
thats what I did.  I got a dirt cheap model off of ebay then upgraded my filters and membranes.

Offline verper

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 18:16:51 »
Me too.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 19:06:26 »
Good. Doesn't sound like we have any of the RODI Nazis like there are on RC.  :)

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 19:40:05 »
Mine is a mixture of Kent & Spectra - pure housings but I have Dual 50 GPD Filmtech ro membranes w 1 & 10 Micron prefilters & carbon Blocks with mix resin D/I afterwards. I agree that largely the housing are about the same, it's the membranes that are what really counts. Also remember that if your going to modify your R/O to get the correct flow restrictor for the membrane and to replace your pre filters (sediment traps) and carbon regularly to protect & extend the life of the r/o membrane and D/i resin.

Joel

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 19:59:14 »
where is a good place to find all of the replacement guts for a ro/di unit around dayton.

slandis3

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 20:10:13 »
. Also remember that if your going to modify your R/O to get the correct flow restrictor for the membrane and to replace your pre filters (sediment traps) and carbon regularly to protect & extend the life of the r/o membrane and D/i resin.

Joel

Yea i replace my 60gpd with a 75gpd and i forgot to order the restrictor for it. I dont thinkit hurt anything but i didnt notice a difference in how fast the water filled untill i changed the restrictor. Hey Joel, does filmtech make a 75gpd membrain? Its getting about time to change mine again.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 20:34:07 »
Thanks everyone, the main reason I asked is that I came to the conclusion that it doesn’t matter the housing, it’s just how good the filters are. If cheaper gets me the same end result then I want to take that route and I don’t care how it looks. I still think I’m going to go with one of the smaller (cheaper) units from Buckeye because everything I have heard is that they have great customer service and are willing to help if I need it.

Also, is there a huge difference with the 4stage and 5 stage? Or should I buy the 4stage and upgrade with an add on stage when money allows it?

Thanks

Offline verper

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 20:45:21 »
You can go with the 4 stage and spend the extra on a hand held TDS meter.  Later on you can see if you even need a 5th stage.

Offline verper

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 20:58:04 »
Good. Doesn't sound like we have any of the RODI Nazis like there are on RC.  :)

Not here.  And our reef tanks have not crashed and burned because of our "inferior" RO/DI units like is preached over there.   ;)

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 21:06:43 »
Another Question!

If i buy a cheaper unit will it have more waste water than a more expensive one? or is it all in the filter cartridges? What determines the watse water if it's not the filters, or housing?

slandis3

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 21:09:23 »
Another Question!

If i buy a cheaper unit will it have more waste water than a more expensive one? or is it all in the filter cartridges? What determines the watse water if it's not the filters, or housing?

Thats a good question. I have been told the wast water is determined by the membrain. I dont know if thats true or not. I think im going to use my waste water to water the lawn this year.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 21:13:03 »
How much waste water does everyone average?

Offline verper

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2008, 21:16:29 »
Another Question!

Waste water is based on the RO membrane.  Most have around a 4:1 rejection rate.  4 gallons of waste water to 1 gallon of clean water.

Offline verper

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2008, 21:23:51 »
And last I knew most aquarium suppliers only use two types.  GE/Osmonics or Dow Filmtec. 

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2008, 22:25:05 »
uhhh what if you are hardly getting any waste water??

slandis3

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2008, 23:03:44 »
you need to check you line psi. Make sure your water psi is around 50psi or higher.

Offline verper

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 17:10:55 »
uhhh what if you are hardly getting any waste water??

Then something is wrong.  If the RO membrane is clogged up you will get mostly waste water, but something is not hooked up right or your missing an o-ring if you are getting almost all good water.  The good water has to pass through the membrane to get to the other side unless there is an easier way (like a missing o-ring).  Are you sure you have the right output tube?  Maybe you are using the waste water output because the membrane is shot and you are getting no RO water.

Slandis3, how does low psi affect the RO membrane?