2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Replacement MH Lamps  (Read 1405 times)

MechanicalEngineer

Replacement MH Lamps
« on: April 10, 2008, 09:49:43 »
This is what I have: 
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~CU01042~tab~0.html

I'm buying replacement MH bulbs, but when looking at them online, they all state the "ANSI".  I know what that is in engineering terms, but not in lighting terms. 

I found some Current MH bulbs for sale locally for $40 each.  They're 14k 150W.  How will I know if this will be compatible other than if they're DE or SE?  Are these bulbs worth it?  I tried to look them up on Sanjay's page, but couldn't find them.

Thanks!
Nikki

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Replacement MH Lamps
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 09:57:32 »
Ok, I'm trying to answer my own questions in the meantime.  I'm guessing that ANSI is the ballast.  M81 is a magnetic ballast, which I don't have.  How do I know what electronic ballast I have...and how do I match it up with a bulb correctly?  I'm guessing it probably doesn't matter as far as it just working, but I'm sure it matters to the appearance of the light. 

Any suggestions?

BTW, happy birthday Joe...just realized that!

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 10:23:26 »
ANSI is the American National Standards Institute (you'd think an Engineer would know that  :laugh: ) It's a certification, like ISO 9000 or something. Doesn't mean much to me.

No clue without looking at your ballast what kind it is. If I was you I would check Sanjay's site and find the bulb that you want and then look at hellolights and see what ballasts will fire them. For the most part I think HQI ballasts will fire most DE lamps.  I've read that Pheonix have an issue on non M81 I think, but XM, Hamiltons etc should work fine.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008, 10:25:22 »
And what makes you think your ballast is not M81?  If I bought that light and it was called an HQI I would assume it had a true HQI ballast which is the M81.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2008, 10:31:22 »
Hm, maybe I'm just making stuff up.  I don't know to be honest.  Now I'm even more confused.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2008, 10:43:34 »
i buy the cheap ones on e-bay, i do change them every 6-8 months but its still cheaper and they seem to do a great job for me...i get them from the same guy. i got 2x400w 14k last time shipped for like 30 bucks, now they probably arent as good as the pricey bulbs but they are not that bad

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 11:13:16 »
You after color or par or both or what?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 11:25:51 »
I'm after par, but with reasonable cost.  I have 10K's right now, but I would like to go bluer. 

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2008, 13:23:54 »
I'm after par, but with reasonable cost.  I have 10K's right now, but I would like to go bluer. 

Resonable cost? Is there such a thing in this hobby.

My understanding (with no actual experience to back this up) is DE bulbs burn pretty true to their color temp, so a 10K bulb will be truly 10K and a 12K truly 12K. I would reco the 12K Reeflux for no other reason than I like them in a SE lamp.

http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1385