2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 100g or larger Rubbermaid Stock Tank  (Read 4473 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
100g or larger Rubbermaid Stock Tank
« on: October 21, 2009, 02:46:52 »
Does anyone know where I can purchase a new 100g or larger Rubbermaid Stock Tank locally?

Offline GreatWyte

• Fry
Re: 100g or larger Rubbermaid Stock Tank
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 03:38:37 »
Tractor Supply Company (TSC). I would imagine if they don't carry it they can order it for ya.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-equipment/stock-tanks-accessories/stock-tanks/

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 03:57:26 »
Thank you just what I needed.

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 19:33:01 »
menards in tipp has them too

Klosterman

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 23:16:36 »
Provico in Botkins have them...i got a 150g last yr for like $100

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 23:48:10 »
Thanks guys, I picked up one today.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 23:57:31 »
What you got planned Lazy? Something exciting?  >:D
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 00:21:38 »
Last night on my way to bed I glanced at the tank and It was so cloudy I could not see 4" into the water. I only had about 15g of saltwater mixed at the time. Which did nothing. So Sara ran to Kroger's to get 75 1 gallon jugs of distilled water. Took about two hours to get water temp close enough for a 100% change. The stink was horrid. All SPS except a few pieces where completely white. 24 hours later all the softies and zoanthids seem fine but a total loss of hard corals except a couple of pieces that will likely die over the next week. About two hours ago all four of my clams spawned in my tank as my wife and I watched helplessly. My best guess is stress spawn. The big rubbermaid I bought is going to be used to hold whats left so I can tear everything down. I am just sick. All of this went down at the same time as I picked up the H1/N1 virus from my son.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 00:35:33 »
 :(

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 00:38:55 »
Im really sorry. let us know if there is anything you need.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 00:39:49 »
Brain I am so sorry!  :crybaby :crybaby :crybaby :crybaby :crybaby :crybaby :crybaby :crybaby :crybaby Do you have any idea what happened? Take is slow if you picked up the flu also, don't strain yourself too much. Let me know if you need anything.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2009, 01:00:49 »
Did one of your dosing pumps go haywire? I'm really bummed about this Brian. I am very sorry.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2009, 01:06:49 »
Thanks guys.

JD I have no idea what happened but it was probably another bone head mistake.  :-[ I have about a quart of the original water sealed in a container to test later to see if it provides any insight as to what happened but right now due to my health and frustration I have not done anything with it.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 01:12:04 »
Good idea saving some water. Take your time, remember to put your health first.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 06:38:12 »
All of this went down at the same time as I picked up the H1/N1 virus from my son.

Sounds like what happened to my tank a year or so ago. I never did figure out what happened.

Sucks about the H1N1. It's made it's stop at my house also. Wife and son have it.

Reefd Up

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 06:38:52 »
Brian, we're really sorry to hear this.  My 55g tank is up and running (nothing much in it) if you want to use it until you get your tank back up.  

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 09:47:27 »
Sorry to hear that. H1N1 at my house too, all four kids, me and the wife.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 10:02:22 »
Wow it's MUCH more widespread than I thought in OH.

Does tamaflu actually help yall with h1n1?

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 10:05:13 »

I didn't take anything, just let it run its course. It wasn't nearly as bad as they make it sound. The kids were pretty sick though. It seemed to come and go.

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 10:31:22 »
Last night on my way to bed I glanced at the tank and It was so cloudy I could not see 4" into the water. I only had about 15g of saltwater mixed at the time. Which did nothing. So Sara ran to Kroger's to get 75 1 gallon jugs of distilled water. Took about two hours to get water temp close enough for a 100% change. The stink was horrid. All SPS except a few pieces where completely white. 24 hours later all the softies and zoanthids seem fine but a total loss of hard corals except a couple of pieces that will likely die over the next week. About two hours ago all four of my clams spawned in my tank as my wife and I watched helplessly. My best guess is stress spawn. The big rubbermaid I bought is going to be used to hold whats left so I can tear everything down. I am just sick. All of this went down at the same time as I picked up the H1/N1 virus from my son.

man that sucks......when you get the tank problem fixed you are more than welcome to stop by and have a frag of anything you like in my tank.  hate to see that happen to such a great guy.

slandis3

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 11:37:46 »
Brian, sorry to hear about your loss.

Offline satch12

• Fry
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 12:15:24 »
really sorry to hear that Brian,  let us know if there's anything we can do for ya. hope ya feel better too man.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 12:25:39 »
Wait, why are you tearing everything down? Are you done for awhile?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 13:22:47 »
Thanks for everyone support and offers to help. I would have asked for help but it was around midnight when we discovered the issue and did not want to share our sickness.

Wait, why are you tearing everything down? Are you done for awhile?

I have had my eye on a 125 gallon tank dimensions for quite some time that could be plumbed to large sump in basement. Prior to moving to it I was planning on tearing down and cooking the rocks as Nikki did. Have GSP and Green Implosion Paly's that have gone crazy over the past 6 months and are killing everything they touch. So with only a few corals to keep alive during the transition this is the opportune time. Another reason for the move is to add some stability with a larger water volume. I am so envious of people like Andy (Chromilux) that can have such small SPS dominated tanks and kept them healthy for the long hall. No easy feat.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 13:28:40 »

There's actually a second virus hitting southwest Ohio pretty hard right now that is not the H1N1. My wife is a school teacher and they are getting almost daily updates. Basically the difference is one takes about 2 days to get over includes vommiting and normal fluish like symptoms but goes away quick and the H1N1 comes with a 104 temp for several days and makes you feel like crap for atleast a week if not more.  Kaite has a few students diagnosed with H1N1 but doctors aren't even testing anymore and not giving tamaflu since it's effects on the H1N1 have been minimal. Basically if you call your doctor and say I have a 102+ temp and other flu symptoms, they are calling it H1N1 since that is the strain going around now. Just like in the winter when everyone has Influenza Type A because that is the strain that is around then.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 13:33:27 »
Thanks for everyone support and offers to help. I would have asked for help but it was around midnight when we discovered the issue and did not want to share our sickness.

I have had my eye on a 125 gallon tank dimensions for quite some time that could be plumbed to large sump in basement. Prior to moving to it I was planning on tearing down and cooking the rocks as Nikki did. Have GSP and Green Implosion Paly's that have gone crazy over the past 6 months and are killing everything they touch. So with only a few corals to keep alive during the transition this is the opportune time. Another reason for the move is to add some stability with a larger water volume. I am so envious of people like Andy (Chromilux) that can have such small SPS dominated tanks and kept them healthy for the long hall. No easy feat.

I see. Big basement sump is the way to go. I am going to start plumbing mine this weekend if I can finalize the plans for everything.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 13:51:13 »
If you wouldn't mind take some pictures and post up when you get it done. Especially interested in how you get through the floor.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 14:01:30 »
Brian, I'm glad to hear you are taking this in stride. Looking at the 6' x 18" x 20" 125? I really like that size too.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 14:17:55 »
If you wouldn't mind take some pictures and post up when you get it done. Especially interested in how you get through the floor.

Hole saw. Let me know if you need to borrow one  ;D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 14:39:52 »
Brian, I'm glad to hear you are taking this in stride. Looking at the 6' x 18" x 20" 125? I really like that size too.

I like both the 125 and the 180. So whichever deal presents itself first I will probably jump on. Looking for just a standard tank with no built in overflows. Amstar has one that I am going to go look at when I get over this sickness. He has the pump that I think will have enough head feet to push water up from the basement as well.

I would take you up on it if you were not so far away. BTW: The Garf Bonsai I got from you is hanging on for dear life right now. One of  about 4 SPS that still has some polyps but completely white so likely will starve to death. The blue Stylo along with about 40-50 SPS was not as fortunate.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2009, 14:40:46 »

Thats what I was going to say. I have to go thru a wall next to the tank, and down. I'll take pics of the setup.

slandis3

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2009, 16:15:09 »
I like both the 125 and the 180. So whichever deal presents itself first I will probably jump on. Looking for just a standard tank with no built in overflows. Amstar has one that I am going to go look at when I get over this sickness. He has the pump that I think will have enough head feet to push water up from the basement as well.

I would take you up on it if you were not so far away. BTW: The Garf Bonsai I got from you is hanging on for dear life right now. One of  about 4 SPS that still has some polyps but completely white so likely will starve to death. The blue Stylo along with about 40-50 SPS was not as fortunate.

Hey once you get better I have a hole saw you can use. Also I have a small bonsai that I should be able to frag in a month or two.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2009, 17:03:51 »
Thanks Mike

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2009, 17:25:56 »
I have had my eye on a 125 gallon tank dimensions for quite some time

I expect it to be like a phoenix rising from the ashes.  

I guess thats the one bright side. With everything you've learned Im sure there are 100's of things you do differently, and now you have the chance.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 17:35:18 by cyberwollf »

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2009, 17:29:24 »
Lets hope for a speedy recovery for you, your family, and your reef tank. So sorry to hear about your recent illness and SPS loss. I can help you restock some of your sps when you feel better.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2009, 17:48:11 »
I was really embarrassed to of lost so much livestock but everyones non-judgmental support has been a blessing. Thank you very much.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2009, 19:08:44 »
I was really embarrassed to of lost so much livestock but everyones non-judgmental support has been a blessing. Thank you very much.

No Reason to Judge.  I think we're all hoping you figured out what happened so we can all learn.  I wonder if the clams spawned earlier that night, and you didn't see it.   I'm really starting to think I should get rid of 2 or 3 of mine.   When 2 of my 4 spawned a few weeks ago, there was very little impact to my tank.  But the filter socks and the skimmate smelled funny for a few days.

Let me know if I can help.   Let me know if you find a good tank deal......I too have been looking at 180's.  I would really love to get a 3 sided starfire tank.

Blown76mav

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2009, 19:35:02 »

Nothing to be embarrassed about, sometimes these things happen.  If I can help in any way let me know.  I was thinking now would be a great time for an acrylic sump in the basement. ;)  And if I have any corals you want frags of let me know and I'll be glad to get them to ya.

Reefd Up

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2009, 19:37:45 »
Brian, everything happens for a reason...sometimes you just have to find the reason.

Look at me!  I'm a walking example.  My tank crashed b/c the exterminator got chemicals in the tank.  It crashed during Ike, from Will dumping a gallon of magnesium accidentally into the tank, from alk drops when I was first starting, from every reason you can think of.  But, every time I learned...and learned how many friends in this hobby I really have.  There's no way I'd leave. 

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2009, 19:40:16 »
now is your chance to come back bigger and better than ever :)

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2009, 19:45:00 »
Im really sorry to see this if theres any thing I can do let me know.  I have some specieal hole saws for cutting plastic you can use when you drill the tub just let me know if you want to borrow them. 

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2009, 20:06:10 »
Brian... sorry to hear that.  Havent heard back from you yet in a PM.  Hope your feeling better.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2009, 20:38:37 »
wow im so sorry to hear what happend   i wish you all the luck you can get to get every thing back on track
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 23:21:11 »
Thank you all so much for your support. I would have surely got out of the hobby if not for the club but it is not even an option.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 23:27:05 »
Hey Brian,
Thanks for the compliment on my tank, however; it pales in comparison to your tanks. I wish you and your family a speedy recovery from the flu virus. If there is anything I can do to help let me know. 572-5093 is just a few blocks away. Seems like I read somewhere about clam spawnings wiping out entire systems. Seems odd that all the clams let loose at one time. Nevertheless, I can help you with some frags when its time to restock.
Chromiumlux

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 02:02:59 »
sorry to hear that
hope u & your family get well soon
Brian if there is anything u need just let me know(frags,help to setup your new 125gal,maybe 180gal tank)