2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Favorite Salt for Reefs?  (Read 2874 times)

Reefd Up

Re: Favorite Salt for Reefs?
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 22:34:48 »
I used to use Instant Ocean regularly.  After about 1.5 years (it all is a blur now) later, I started using Reef Crystals...switched to Red Sea Coral Pro shortly after I think...stuck with that for a while...now I'm using SeaChem...and plan to stick with it for a while.  I'm quite happy with it.  For the past 2 years I've had reefs with a very high demand for supplementation - even down to potassium. 

I'm sure this is way more than you ever wanted to know about iodine in saltwater aquariums, but here you go:  http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm 

Basically, dosing iodine is very complicated due to its different forms (iodine & iodate...but varying forms of those as well).  Unfortunately, in marine life, what one life form may need for iodine...is deadly toxic to another life form.  There doesn't seem to be a level scientists have found that is ideal.  Sure, we know what the oceans averages are for iodine/iodate...but not what we should have in our aquariums.  If you want to keep dosing, I would dose less than the recommended manufacturer's suggestion. 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 08:26:31 »
ive been reading up on the neo marina salt seems to be one of the best you can get  looks like ill be trying it soon
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Rbunk13

• Fry
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2010, 20:46:28 »
I use coral pro also and love it. although for you instant ocean users, jacks has the buckets on sale all month for $36.99.  ;D
220g aga fowlr, 135g Tenecor flat back hex acyrlic reef

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2010, 20:50:10 »
I use coral pro also and love it. although for you instant ocean users, jacks has the buckets on sale all month for $36.99.  ;D

Rbunk, are those the Sea Salt or the Reef Crystals?

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2010, 20:51:32 »
nevermind, I found it.  It's the regular sea salt.

Offline Rbunk13

• Fry
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 21:21:25 »
sorry just regular sea salt

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 21:41:27 »
1 cup rock salt per gallon of RO/DI water here.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 21:51:49 »
1 cup rock salt per gallon of RO/DI water here.

At least you're using RO/DI water. ;)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 22:15:19 »
thats a good price
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 22:27:39 »
As a side note, does anyone else think that Instant Ocean Reef Crystals smells like bacon?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 22:31:24 »
every thing smells like bacan lol
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline aquatic mouse

• Juvenile
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2010, 15:57:14 »
I haven't been using RO, but I plan to. Can I start using Red Sea Coral Pro with new RO water, and do 5% water changes weekly? Remember, my whole tank is decholrinated tap and Coral Pro is meant for tanks w/ RO water.
1 Stars & Stripes Puffer (Steve), 1 Bird Wrasse (Jerry), Volitan Lionfish (Dexter Morgan), 1 Foxface (Vixen),1 Neon Velvet Damsel (Lux), 1 Green Chromis (Egon)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 17:35:47 »
I haven't been using RO, but I plan to. Can I start using Red Sea Coral Pro with new RO water, and do 5% water changes weekly? Remember, my whole tank is decholrinated tap and Coral Pro is meant for tanks w/ RO water.

thats a good one i dont know
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Rbunk13

• Fry
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 17:42:06 »
I'm sure it will work with any water. Just formulated to work great with r/o. It is a great salt.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 17:44:09 »
thats what i was thinking but wasnt sure
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline atreis

• Juvenile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 08:01:02 »
In the past I've used IO, Reef Crystals, and Tropic Marin and not really noticed a whole lot of difference.  (Tropic Marin dissolved the easiest, but otherwise not much difference.)  My current tank is using Reef Crystals Coral Pro because that's what Jack's had on sale at the time I needed it.  It's nice, but again I just don't notice much difference.

Offline aquatic mouse

• Juvenile
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2010, 08:45:48 »
My current tank is using Reef Crystals Coral Pro because that's what Jack's had on sale at the time I needed it.  It's nice, but again I just don't notice much difference.

I'm confused. Are you using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals or Red Sea Coral Pro?
1 Stars & Stripes Puffer (Steve), 1 Bird Wrasse (Jerry), Volitan Lionfish (Dexter Morgan), 1 Foxface (Vixen),1 Neon Velvet Damsel (Lux), 1 Green Chromis (Egon)

Offline Kenn

« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2010, 13:07:14 »
RED SEA CORAL PRO Description
Main Features

Specially formulated for the use with reverse osmosis water

Red Sea is please to announce the addition of an innovative new salt formula designed to meet the needs of today`s advanced hobbyist. Coral Pro Salt has been specifically formulated for use with "mineral free" Reverse Osmosis, or soft tap water and contains the elevated levels of calcium and buffer capacity that provide the extended availability of these elements, essential for vibrant coral growth. Utilizing the same natural sea minerals used in Red Sea Salt the new Coral Pro Salt will enable all reverse osmosis users and reef enthusiast a superior product with out the need for immediate supplementation.

* Chemically balanced formula to support the most delicate Corals and other marine life
    * Reaches a stable, natural pH shortly after mixing
    * Free of Nitrates & Phosphates
    * Produced by a small batch process to ensure homogeneity and consistency of the salt mixture

Corals, calcareous algae and other invertebrates use large amounts of Calcium for the building of their skeletons or shells. The Calcium level in natural seawater at 35ppt is approximately 400 ppm.

The Coral Pro formula provides elevated levels of calcium at the "lower than natural" salinities preferred in reef aquariums. Table shows Calcium levels of Coral Pro mixed in RO water at 24°C 75°F and salinity.

s.g.    Salinity    Calcium    Qty of Salt
1.021    30.6 ppt    420 ppm    33.4 g/l 1.4 lb/5 US gal
1.023    32.8 ppt    450 ppm    35.8 g/l1.5 lb/5 US gal
1.025    35.0 ppt    480 ppm    38.2 g/l1.6 lb/5 US gal
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2010, 16:39:18 »
I used to get BULK boxes of Instant Ocean from up north, but I was thinking about switching around a bit as soon as I use up this last box. Partly because I'm curious, partly because I'm trying to buy more from sponsors, and partly because I don't feel like driving three and a half hours for salt.

As a side note, does anyone else think that Instant Ocean Reef Crystals smells like bacon?

I definitely jammed my nose in a bag of salt after reading this. We talking cooked, or uncooked bacon here?

Offline atreis

• Juvenile
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 07:48:28 »
I'm confused. Are you using Instant Ocean Reef Crystals or Red Sea Coral Pro?

Sorry - Red Sea Coral Pro.