2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Not new to aquariums but new to saltwater  (Read 8071 times)

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
Re: Not new to aquariums but new to saltwater
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2010, 21:49:01 »
and you guys would know this best, as i have downloaded the manual to my tank, it says if i am doing a reef setup, i dont have to cermic rings bag and the bio balls , "maintaining an average of 1lb of lr will create a live bio filter system as well as denitrification system ultimatly creating a balanced biotpe" so basicaly just run the sponges and a sack of crushed live rock in the back ? and then the pump back to my tank and thats it?

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2010, 21:53:25 »
and would you suggest i just buy pre mixed water from gerbers, i beleive they still sell premixed ready to go water for saltwater tanks or should i just do it myself? and any suggestions on sand substrate??? jacks had mentioned one name that has biological life in it to help start cycling the tank and supposbably best for the fish i just forget the name of it..

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2010, 22:18:23 »
and would you suggest i just buy pre mixed water from gerbers, i beleive they still sell premixed ready to go water for saltwater tanks or should i just do it myself? and any suggestions on sand substrate??? jacks had mentioned one name that has biological life in it to help start cycling the tank and supposbably best for the fish i just forget the name of it..
noooo mix it ur self take u time do it right u dont know what is realy in there watter dont know how long has it been mixed up
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2010, 22:31:16 »
noooo mix it ur self take u time do it right u dont know what is realy in there watter dont know how long has it been mixed up

Double, no wait, triple ditto that.

Make your own.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 09:04:05 »
thanks for the advise! thats why i asked...

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2010, 15:24:50 »
Question about heating now, the heater i have currently, should i just use it for water cycles and when i buy my new one, get one that sould work for my new nano? as i know tempature is critical on tanks, so was thinking that may be the best way as ill need one for my water cycle setup with the powerhead to move the water around..

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2010, 15:34:15 »
I mix my water in a tote.  I have a heater and a power head in it.  Keep the heater on the same temp as your tank.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2010, 16:14:26 »
correct, but should i buy a new heater for my tank and use the old heater for my tote? or just use the old one in the tank and use the new one in the tote? i guess if it doesnt work, then it solves my issue LOL

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2010, 16:19:30 »
i would use a new one on the tank just to be on the safe side
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2010, 16:53:57 »
kinda what i was thinking because i know how impt the water temps are , and invest in a good one for the nano would be better then a decent one that will get used just once in a while...

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2010, 18:06:33 »
kinda what i was thinking because i know how impt the water temps are , and invest in a good one for the nano would be better then a decent one that will get used just once in a while...

:-Thumb
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2010, 17:30:14 »
Another question . Since i dont have le or fish yet would it hurt if I put sand and mix the water directly  in the tank instead of a conyainer for a day for  the dirst day? And add le in a day or two.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2010, 17:33:53 »
thats what i did i had all the sand in the tank  than i filled it all up with fresh water and had it up and running and than added the salt to it i than let it run for about a week to make sure everything was ok than i added about 3 cheap fish and about a week latter i added 2 live rocks and some live sand than let everything cycle
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2010, 19:20:48 »
so its not best to use live sand at first? because i was thinking thats what was required in my smaller tank because of lack or rocks and everything, and help the coarls and fish once i get that far...

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2010, 20:03:16 »
if you start with "live sand" and then add fresh water and then salt and let it mix in the tank your "live sand" will be dead sand.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2010, 20:50:01 »
if you start with "live sand" and then add fresh water and then salt and let it mix in the tank your "live sand" will be dead sand.

Yep, When you come get this rubble from me, I will give you some live rock from my sump.  Have you tank allready up and running correct SG, temp, etc.  Then put the rock and rubble into your tank, It will help start the cycle. I'll even give you a cup of sand to seed :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2010, 20:58:31 »
yup
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2010, 21:26:36 »
sounds good, ill go to lfs and get salt and get it running tomorrow after work. and worry about the sand once i get the rocks from you...

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2010, 21:27:21 »
just got the tank up and running, added what is recommended for salt and the declorinator and should be ready in by wednesday i would hope.....

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2010, 21:37:09 »
declorniator?  Your not using RO/DI water?  At the very least distilled water from Wal-Mart.  NEVER use tap water, that is hair algae waiting to happen.  If this is a Nano it can't cost that much to use distilled.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2010, 21:57:06 »
guess im use to my freshwater ways, i will cycle it out tomorrow and change it for distilled water then. i guess i learn from my mistakes, all the reasearch i did, not much was even mentioned about using tap water or distilled water , everything i read was just saying make sure you its chlorine free.........

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2010, 21:59:43 »
guess im use to my freshwater ways, i will cycle it out tomorrow and change it for distilled water then. i guess i learn from my mistakes, all the reasearch i did, not much was even mentioned about using tap water or distilled water , everything i read was just saying make sure you its chlorine free.........

Chlorine, nitrate, phosphate, and heavy metal free :)

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2010, 22:03:07 »
Some guys use tap water, but they usually have a bad algae problem down the road and can't figure it out or something bad happens and they try to make a lot of water quickly and end up killing the whole tank.  Its best to start out with pure water from the begining and save a headache down the road.  Later on I would recommend a RO/DI unit, being a Nano you could get away with a 25 GPD one and save some money.    That was my most cost saving purchase so far, I was buying 80-90 gallons of distilled every month or so when I first started.  I can make 150 gallons a month and my water bill only goes up 2-3 dollars.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2010, 23:17:33 »
Some guys use tap water, but they usually have a bad algae problem down the road and can't figure it out or something bad happens and they try to make a lot of water quickly and end up killing the whole tank.  Its best to start out with pure water from the begining and save a headache down the road.  Later on I would recommend a RO/DI unit, being a Nano you could get away with a 25 GPD one and save some money.    That was my most cost saving purchase so far, I was buying 80-90 gallons of distilled every month or so when I first started.  I can make 150 gallons a month and my water bill only goes up 2-3 dollars.

You could get away super cheap with a DI only system if you arent affraid to play with muratic acid and lye once a month  to recharge
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2010, 23:36:57 »
You could get away super cheap with a DI only system if you arent affraid to play with muratic acid and lye once a month  to recharge

Ohhhhh yeah! This is what I am moving to.