2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: wifi surge protector -  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
wifi surge protector -
« on: May 27, 2020, 18:22:49 »
So as I am setting up my 30 gallon tank - the more and more I think about it I want to turn it into an office tank.

I do not want to spend money on a controller so I was thinking something like a wifi enabled surge protector such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Power-Strip-TP-Link/dp/B07G95FFN3/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1V1N4I769P20V&dchild=1&keywords=wifi+surge+protector+kasa&qid=1590618102&sprefix=kasa+wifi+surge%2Caps%2C200&sr=8-2

This would allow me to control each outlet (6 of them) via an app.  So wavemaker, lights, pumps etc from a location other than the office. 

thoughts

Offline JSellars

• Adult
Re: wifi surge protector -
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 19:30:16 »
I’ve seen a lot of people on the FB pages that use them. My only concern would be the WiFi going down and turning off components that need to be on. I know I have issues with my internet connection at home, just another worry that I wouldn’t want to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 20:20:05 »
Interesting - so they don’t stay powered on if your wifi drops - then ya no good for a reef or any tank for that matter

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 21:57:54 »
I’m not sure how they work if the WiFi is down if they “fail” on or off. Or they may just maintain the current command and only turn on and off upon request.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 09:25:30 »
I am using this one.  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WGN3X5F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When it loses WiFi, it stays on whatever on/off setting per plug it was last at.  Not automation available.  If it loses power, it reverts to the last on/off status per plug.