2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Free Zoanthids  (Read 4286 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Free Zoanthids
« on: September 25, 2010, 19:49:14 »
I have about 20 zoanthid plugs that have bryopsis algae on  them. Not bringing them over to the new tank due to the pest algae. If anyone wants them before I throw them away in a few days let me know.
There are Miami Vice, Bam Bam, Purple Deaths, Mohawks, Spiderman, AOG, Armageddon etc.... They don't look all that great due to the high levels of magnesium I have been running.

Also will have a 150g Rubbermaid tub for sale in a couple days. It is stock, not drilled. 75$

Offline larrynews

Re: Free Zoanthids
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2010, 19:56:31 »
if tangs eat that stuff i'll take a few, if not i'll pass

Offline starfishprime

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2010, 19:57:25 »
I do! Let me know when would be great for you, Im off after 5 on monday/thursday and off for the day tuesday.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2010, 20:06:22 »
Larry, nothing will eat the stuff. It is the worst of algae's to have and this variant seems to be resistant to Tech M that others have had success with.

Starfishprime, do you know about Bryopsis algae and what you are getting into with it? Just don't want an upset reefer that has a reef overtaken by Bryopsis in a couple months.  ;)  If you do and still willing to take them they are here and you can come over any night. Would like them gone by Monday because I want to get the 150g tub they are in dismantled. Please let me know if you are still interested

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2010, 20:28:55 »
Larry, nothing will eat the stuff. It is the worst of algae's to have and this variant seems to be resistant to Tech M that others have had success with.

Starfishprime, do you know about Bryopsis algae and what you are getting into with it? Just don't want an upset reefer that has a reef overtaken by Bryopsis in a couple months.  ;)  If you do and still willing to take them they are here and you can come over any night. Would like them gone by Monday because I want to get the 150g tub they are in dismantled. Please let me know if you are still interested

You can always put them in your QT and keep dumping MAG in each day and see if the coral or bryopsis dies first.....
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2010, 20:32:51 »
I had it up to 2500 for about a month on TechM, bryopsis growth was slowed but it was still growing. Some zoa's it didn't seem to bother but others browned out and started melting.

Offline starfishprime

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 20:35:30 »

Definitely appreciate the forewarning. I have had some experience with it in the past. I had to bleach the frag racks it was on and I salvaged a frag that it had gotten a hold of. I'm going to experiment with a few options, and I have a seperate tank that I will try to triumph with through trial and error. :D

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 20:37:18 »
maybe its just a rumor started by the TechM company :)  Make you use alot of their products lol
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 20:44:17 »
Sugar dosing. You can be my other test dummy. Give that a shot for a few weeks.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 22:22:43 »
ok thanks...i'm out...thanks anyway

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2010, 00:01:05 »
maybe its just a rumor started by the TechM company :)  Make you use alot of their products lol

The price of Tech-M went up when everyone started buying it. Not sure if it price was raised by Kent or retailers

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2010, 00:42:18 »
most likely both
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline mattfishdog

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2010, 09:44:51 »
i would like some of these zooanthids if you still want to get rid of them

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2010, 10:35:26 »
This is something interesting to think about...

Well I have taken a more direct approach . I have had bryopsis before, I tried raising Mg, reduced feeding, running ferric oxide etc. but it didn't work. I had it on my Pineapple brain and mushroom rock and I had it on a small zoa colony. What I did was to get Q-tips, and mix of about 1/2 bleach and 1/2 Ro/Di water. I had two bowls of water, one with regular salt water and 1 with salt water and a conditioner added to remove chlorine and chloramine. I apply the bleach solution to the affect area and made sure to get it really good. I then dipped it in the second bowl of water with the conditioner. It worked for me, it hasn't been back on those corals. It is a much more dramatic method, but I was desperate.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2010, 11:36:35 »
wow bleach worked
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2010, 21:55:13 »
FYI- I need them gone tomorrow night so I can shutdown the 150g tub.