2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: I'm back...my new tank build  (Read 16973 times)

bigfalcon36

I'm back...my new tank build
« on: January 24, 2009, 08:57:41 »
It's almost time...

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: I'm back...my new tank build
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 09:14:53 »
That is not cool!!!! 

bigfalcon36

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 09:33:27 »
I'm trying to play it out like they do on RC...35 pages with nothing and then on the 36th page they have a picture of the finished product!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 09:50:12 »
That is not cool!!!! 

I agree!  :(

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 10:07:06 »
How big are you going? What tank brand are you buying? What do you plan to keep? When are you going to start?
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

bigfalcon36

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 11:10:36 »
How big are you going? What tank brand are you buying? What do you plan to keep? When are you going to start?

I'm going to do the multi-paragraph explanation this afternoon...I'll have pictures to go along with everything, but first I have to run some errands with the wife.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 18:59:46 »
Still waiting? ;D
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

bigfalcon36

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 19:25:06 »
Ok, enough work for one day.  As the thread says, I am finally starting to put together a new tank.  i have been away from the Ohio area and away from the hobby for about 2.5 years, but I have never lost interest.  When I lived in PA, I picked up my new take at That Pet Place...which was a LFS for me.  I picked it up at their 'Spring Fling' and have been waiting to set it up for almost two years!

Here it is...my 120 gallon Oceanic Tech Tank.  I got lucky with this one too, all three panes are low iron Starfire:

I plan to go bare bottom on this one...with starboard on the bottom.  I also am planning on using minimal live rock so the fish have more room to play.  For the coral, i plan on keeping SPS, some Zoa's, and some Ricordea's (I have never had Ric's before).

Also, while I was in PA, I built the stand and canopy out of oak.  I dont care what anyone says...this was the most fun piece that I have ever built.  Here are a few shots:

The sump is going to a 75 gallon glass tank.  I found a local guy here in Kansas City that is making me one and for the price I couldn't pass it up.  I have built sumps in the past and for the time, planning, cost...it's just easier to have some one else do it.  It's going to be a low flow sump that will have an refugium in it with sand and live rock.

I have most of the equipment purchased already.  For the main tank circulation I am going to be using two Tunze 6100's on a 7095 Multicontroller.  For the skimmer, I am going to use my trusty old ASM G3 (that has the mesh mod done to it) for now...i plan on upgrading this ASAP to either a Reeflo 200 or something similar (there are really too many skimmers to choose from).  I still need to choose a return pump.

Lighting...Right now I have two Reef Optix Pendants that have 250 watt Hamilton 14k's in them.  The bulbs will be powered by the boys from Icecap.  I also plan to run either 4 or 6 T5's with a IceCap 660 pushing them...I have the SLRs for the bulbs too.  I just dont know if I should do the 6 bulbs or not?

Here's some pics of those goodies:

Other equipment that I will have is a GEO 612 Calcium reactor (pick it up tomorrow and will post pics) with a pinpoint controller.  And finally Two - Two Little Fishies Phosban Reactors, one for phosban and one with carbon.

I hope to have the water in it by the end of February.  Currently I am waiting on some plumbing parts from our buddy Joel.  I also have to pick up some odds and ends like new filters for my Typhoon RO/DI unit, salt...stuff like that.

Hope you guys like it... I am excited as HELL to get this thing running again!

Talk to you all soon,
Travis

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 19:49:08 »
That is a beautiful stand, Travis!!!

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 20:19:31 »
Stand and Hood look awesome. Looks like you have it all organized.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

bigfalcon36

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 22:03:09 »
Stand and Hood look awesome. Looks like you have it all organized.
That is a beautiful stand, Travis!!!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I still need help with deciding on a light combination...should I add more T5, a skimmer (preferably one that can be plumbed externally), and a return pump.

Let the discussion begin.

slandis3

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 22:14:41 »
Love my return pump  ReeFlo Snapper  2500gph at 93 watts.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 22:46:46 »
I second the snapper I love both of mine. I would also suggest you look at the beast of a skimmer that Joe has for sale on this site. It is a beast, it is the whole reason I bought my new skimmer so it would be bigger! lol I had skimmer envy.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

bigfalcon36

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2009, 22:51:25 »
I talked to Joe a couple of times via PM...shipping would be a pain with it, plus if something happened to it during the shipping we both be boned.  I still have some time...so I have to weigh my options and then put a cap on the price and stick to it....i hope

bigfalcon36

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2009, 22:57:09 »
I second the snapper I love both of mine. I would also suggest you look at the beast of a skimmer that Joe has for sale on this site. It is a beast, it is the whole reason I bought my new skimmer so it would be bigger! lol I had skimmer envy.

Where'd you guys pick your pumps up at?  What size are the input and output?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 02:36:28 »
Hey Welcome back, looks like you are doing things up really nice. The stand and canopy are beautiful done. Like the euro bracing oceanic tank, don't see those to often. Keep us posted with your progress.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 08:26:43 »
Very Cool Travis!  :D

slandis3

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 08:43:21 »
i got mine from joel.  it has a 2" intake and a 1.5" return

bigfalcon36

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 10:07:01 »
i got mine from joel.  it has a 2" intake and a 1.5" return

Awesome, I'll take a close look at these...there is a lady that is local to me that sells Reeflo products.

On, another note...I think I make have found a skimmer.  Does anyone know anything or have experiences with a Deltec.  I have read good things, but I would to hear something from the group if that's possible.  I'm thinking of getting a Deltec AP 702.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 10:51:42 »
They are good skimmers just not sure they are worth the price. Are you getting it used and getting a good deal. For the price of new I think there are better skimmers on the market for the price and even less money. The reeflo orca skimmers are awesome and use less watts. Just my .02 cents.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio

bigfalcon36

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 11:06:57 »
I'm working with a local guy...I think that I can nab this thing for $1000 less than retail.  He's had it sitting and wants to move it...I'm just trying to take advantage of the oppurtunity.  No way I would pay retail.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 11:21:57 »
Very nice setup Travis. Although I knew about this tank build for a long time. Your Oceanic Tech Series tank is sweet and you can never go wrong with a GEO reactor and a solid oak stand and canopy. 

bigfalcon36

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 13:22:09 »
Very nice setup Travis. Although I knew about this tank build for a long time. Your Oceanic Tech Series tank is sweet and you can never go wrong with a GEO reactor and a solid oak stand and canopy. 

Yeah, I want to thank Tim for keeping the cat in the bag for a while on this one.

bigfalcon36

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 16:38:26 »
I went today and picked up a couple of new toys.  Here they are GEO612 and a Reef Fanatic Regulator and Solenoid: 

The GEOs are really nice!  This is the first one I have seen up close.

Enjoy!
Travis

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 16:43:42 »
just being curious what type of price range are those?