2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DelTec MCE600  (Read 1242 times)

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
DelTec MCE600
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:56:30 »
I have a quick question about the Deltec MC600. I'm impressed and it takes up only 3 inches when installed on the back of a tank.  But when and if we get the sump, can it really be used in sump as well?

The Deltec site briefy states:

"The Multi Compact External skimmer is ideal for ‘hang on’ installation directly onto the outside of the aquarium or sump
and requires no further supply pump for highly efficient operation"

This looks like the ideal solution - get one quick and HOB and then put down into the sump later on when we get that going.

Next question:  any of our sponsors carry this skimmer in stock?  I'd get one today  :D
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

slandis3

Re: DelTec MCE600
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 12:39:18 »
Yea you can just hang it on the back of the sump the same way as you do on your tank.

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 12:56:14 »
what size sump you thinking? it will have to be tall enough so the skimmer will hang free. well you might be able to mod the plumbing. i have a 55g tank i will sell for cheap, you could just section it out with acrylic for a sump thats what i use on my 90. works great no floods because its so big. but you may not have the room under that stand.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 13:00:35 by jeremyt »

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 13:47:33 »
what size sump you thinking? it will have to be tall enough so the skimmer will hang free. well you might be able to mod the plumbing. i have a 55g tank i will sell for cheap, you could just section it out with acrylic for a sump thats what i use on my 90. works great no floods because its so big. but you may not have the room under that stand.

That is nice of you, but a 55 gallon standard size would be 24 tall x 48 long x 12 deep, right?  It would be sweet to have that much extra gallonage in a sump but I think you're right...too big. 

Right now, I'm just trying to figure out what sump to get, if I get a used one from a member here, or build something.  There are a mind-boggling number of options!
-Steph
--------------

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2009, 14:16:41 »
its a standard 55 so 48l x 13w x 20h

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 14:21:17 »
I think that would be pushing it - although I haven't measured the inside height of the cabinet yet, if I get this skimmer,
I'll need more headroom than 20 high will allow.  And if I do this I need to make sure it's going to work both ways.  No way am I spending almost $500 and then find out (again) that I didn't take something into account.    My forehead can't take much more smacking  ;D
-Steph
--------------

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 15:40:11 »
am i wrong or did i see a pic of your tank and it was sitting on a black stand with 2 doors on it?

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2009, 16:27:20 »
That's right.  I should really update my tank info on that section of the forum.

It's an AGA tank and pine stand painted black.  It's tucked into a corner of our family room along a 48" wall, with 3.5 inches clearance at the back and 1 inch clearance on the right end as you face the tank.
-Steph
--------------

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 16:32:00 »
thought so i had one like it and its impossible to get a fuge under there without cutting the stand up, i ended up building a new stand, i was out at marine solutions this afternoon and they have some slim hob skimmers, but joe said his are like 4.5 inchs and thicker but really good ones they swear by them..good luck, and if you need one to use till you get what you want i have a fully modded sea clone which most people dont like but it did me good, your welcome to it, just let me know!