2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Not new to aquariums but new to saltwater  (Read 8112 times)

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
Not new to aquariums but new to saltwater
« on: September 29, 2010, 09:51:13 »
After my 2 year aniversary with my wife, we just got back from flordia and i am extremly impressed with what i have seen in the wild of the saltwater, and have alwayse admired saltwater in the aquarium stores just expensive to convert one of my larger tanks to saltwater...... I use to own a 55 with chiclids, and a few other fresh water , and 2 29's.... but none are currently working right now, but i am looking into a smaller nano tank, and found what seems to be a decent 12 gallon nano tank i was thinking about making into a saltwater reef tank.... i just HAVE NO CLUE where to start with this, and i want to do alot of research with this before i purchase the tank.....

Any suggestions or baisc guidelines and tips would be greatly appreciate as i am new to this.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
Re: Not new to aquariums but new to saltwater
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 09:55:13 »
here is what i was looking at possiably doing...

http://dayton.craigslist.org/hsh/1943952460.html

i know i cannot have alot of fish in this tank as the size is small, but i would think 2 or 3 small ones would be enough...

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:57:36 »
and i do plan to be going to florida keys this spring, so i will have access to bring back wild fish, coarl, or any other wildlife i can find, we setup a saltwater tank in our moble home and bring back fish for other family relitives for there larger tanks they have setup already for the last multiple years and keep there tank stocked up way and cost ALOT less then what it would from the LFS... :)

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 10:32:23 »
Where do you go in the Key's?  I spent 1 week or so down there in August at mile marker 14....   

Anyways, the bigger you go the easier it is to take care of so go as big as you can.  Plus you are really limited to what fish you can keep when going with a nano.

Do you want a reef tank or a fish only tank?  I go the fish only route but the majority on this site are reefers.   I enjoy fish & the majority of the fish I like do not work in reef tanks. 

Depending on which direction you go will determine the filtration you need & all that stuff.  If you can I would try to get something bigger then a 12g nano.  Try to find a 75/90g to start with, you can put a lot more stuff in there.   
300g tub o fish

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:51:28 »
and i do plan to be going to florida keys this spring, so i will have access to bring back wild fish, coarl, or any other wildlife i can find, we setup a saltwater tank in our moble home and bring back fish for other family relitives for there larger tanks they have setup already for the last multiple years and keep there tank stocked up way and cost ALOT less then what it would from the LFS... :)

Until you get caught.  It is illegal to remove coral from the keys, I'm not sure I would want to risk it but to each their own.

http://floridakeys.noaa.gov/regs/welcome.html

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 10:52:55 »
Thats what i was going to say, its a lot cheaper till you have to hire a attorney and pay bale to get out of jail... ;D

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 11:49:21 »
And your destroying protected parts of the reef.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 13:26:50 »
And your destroying protected parts of the reef.

:-Ditto

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 13:31:30 »
then they probably dont bring back the coral, but i do know they do bring back fish ... ill have to ask my father in law once i am over there again and find out.  we stay all over down there, just where every they decide to stay for the 10 days, and rent a 30 fishing boat and go out sea fishing and snorkaling every day. quiet a blast....

Anyway, i still have my 29L but the issues is cost, i cant afford all the sand and live rocks to make it looked "filled" and the space is also a issue, which is why i was tending to the smaller nano's and yes i am aware the larger they are, the more stable they remain...

i do like the look of a "full" tank so i was thinking lots of live rock and a fish or two, and some snails crabs etc..... just not sure exactly what yet... which is what i was thiking a reef setup.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 13:43:53 »
and knowing my family well enough, they would never do something of such nature to break laws, so i would assume they do not touch corals, but i will make sure i do read up on that article before i go on this trip, its a group of about 8-10 men drive down a large motor home and make a full fishing trip out of it... but like i said, ill read up on all that so i know we dont do something that is protected..

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 13:50:29 »
there arent any pretty corals down in florida anyways... except for ricordea.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 13:55:13 »
went on my lunch break to jacks here in middletown, since i was down here for work... and was talking to them about nano's and got some info, saying the tank setup should be enough for a small dwarf or a clown... and said , about 1 bag of sand would work which was around 30 dollars, the only question is how much live rock and filtration should it have? from what i was reading it seems alot of people just put in crused live rocks in the media area of the filter for filtration instead of buying replacements for the factory units in these nano's.... and she also suggested crabs, snails to keep everything clean in the tank as well, which is what she said most people do with nano's..

Offline Viggen

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 14:16:47 »
Do you or one of the guys in your group lay carpet?  Two years ago my wife (of 2 months) had carpet put down in her basement.  He said he went down to the Key's in a RV & they rented a house.... We almost rented a boat when we were down there but it was to windy (10-25mph winds) & since I get sea sick so easy I didn't want to risk it.  If you ever go down & want to stay at a camping area Bluekey RV resort is a awesome place, private dock & all.

Anyways, those are the reasons I do not have a reef tank.  I can afford a much bigger FO tank vs a reef tank since I do not have to load it up with all the LR, snails, crabs etc. 

If you are doing a reef tank get the tank whenever you can & just keep watching the classifieds here.  Seems like every month people sell LR & you can get it a lot cheaper then at Jack's. 

Not sure on Nano's but most reefers do a refugium to hold the filtering stuff. 

300g tub o fish

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 14:46:28 »
Do you or one of the guys in your group lay carpet?  Two years ago my wife (of 2 months) had carpet put down in her basement.  He said he went down to the Key's in a RV & they rented a house.... We almost rented a boat when we were down there but it was to windy (10-25mph winds) & since I get sea sick so easy I didn't want to risk it.  If you ever go down & want to stay at a camping area Bluekey RV resort is a awesome place, private dock & all.

Anyways, those are the reasons I do not have a reef tank.  I can afford a much bigger FO tank vs a reef tank since I do not have to load it up with all the LR, snails, crabs etc. 

If you are doing a reef tank get the tank whenever you can & just keep watching the classifieds here.  Seems like every month people sell LR & you can get it a lot cheaper then at Jack's. 

Not sure on Nano's but most reefers do a refugium to hold the filtering stuff.

yep that would be him, he does flooring all over the place.... and he has a 55 gallon salt in his office full of everything he caught down there, about 2 years ago it crashed on him and lost most of it cause the heater died which i know the feeling far to well with freshwater as i am use to chichlids and they usualy are hardy fish, but seems heaters dont like me too much :)~

and being i am new, exactly what is LR??? im such a newbie to all this saltwater stuff.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 14:48:44 »
sadly there last spring trip they blew the 460 ford motor in it, and 2nd time it has been replaced too... because they use it THAT much..

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 15:47:08 »
and any suggestions on LFS for knowledge and to chat with? besides just jacks, because i have not had best of service with them with fresh water but didnt have many options in this area...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2010, 15:52:15 »
check out our sponsers they r great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2010, 17:07:14 »
i may stop in at the troy office once i work up north again... as its not a horriable drive for myself. its all i75 for me....

and i seen they have a few 12 nano's on sale there (or at least they did during xmas LOL)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2010, 21:33:12 »

The deal you linked to on Craigs List may be a good buy, ask them what kind of lighting and for a picture and post it up here if you can.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2010, 22:05:17 »
will do, dont think they will have a picture, im going to see if i can get for around 50 dollars. but ill let you know about the lighting.

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2010, 22:14:08 »
I can recommend Coral Ranch in New Lebanon ( one of our sponsors ). Rich can get almost anything it seems and always has great prices.

Marine Solutions is in the Waynesville area (also a sponsor). I mostly use Jeff for the power buys he offers.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2010, 22:18:17 »
ok called, and they still have the tank, i will get getting pictures tonight or tomorrow at latest, and she is getting out of hobby because she keep killing fish :) , had a blue damsey which i can understand why LOL, its about 4 years old and completely factory. so im going to try to do research to find out what kind of lighting is in it currenty from the factory.  has been apart and dried for about a year..

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 22:29:37 »
UL-Listed 12 gallon Nano Cube Deluxe doubles the light output with two 24-watt 50/50 compact fluorescent lamps to meet the needs of the serious reef enthusiast. Both 12 gallon Nano Cubes measure 13-3/4" x 15-3/4" x 14-3/4" high. 106-gph pump included.

here is what the reseach i found says about the lighting and size of the unit.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 22:36:54 »
It is likely that the bulbs will need replaced so factor that into the cost. You could probably keep lower light coral in the tank, such as leathers, zoanthids and various other soft corals and a couple small fish.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2010, 22:52:46 »
yep 30 dollars to replaec, which is why i was hoping i can talk her down to 50.00 as for that exact reason, if i bought it for 80, and put 30 in for new lights, might as well just buy it new for 129.99 and not worry aboutANYTHING at that point.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2010, 22:57:14 »
I have this light available that may work for ya .. The latest price is $30

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8609.0

Just FYI  :laugh:

« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 22:59:30 by kennv431 »
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2010, 10:12:12 »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2010, 11:13:07 »
If you can get it for 50$ it is s great deal. Check the fans, the are notrious for going out on the older models.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2010, 11:24:17 »
yea i had plans to plug it in and let it run for a few minutes, making sure the lights and fans all work.... does it look complete? and im trying to figure out what that pump is for and exacly how it works? i guess it goes on the far left andpumps water up and into the overflow to next compartment, and repeats itself till it finds its way to the hole at the far right side?

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2010, 11:37:47 »
the pump goes in the chamber on the far right, pumping water from the back, up and through the nozzel you can see in the upper right corner and back into the aquarium. Water then makes its way through the slots on the left, through filtration media and back to the pump.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 12:53:26 »
FYI - I think the right lid hinge broken. May it doesn't  matter to you. This was a common problem with them as well. Gerber's used to have a lot of these used and the hinge's seemed to be broke on most. Also may be missing the lock line but not really required. I removed mine as it is an eye sore.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 13:07:43 »
FYI - I think the right lid hinge broken. May it doesn't  matter to you. This was a common problem with them as well. Gerber's used to have a lot of these used and the hinge's seemed to be broke on most. Also may be missing the lock line but not really required. I removed mine as it is an eye sore.

lock line?

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 13:10:12 »
and i thought the hindge looked broke, but thats even more for me to use to negotiate down with, as i dont mind if its broke or not, as long as it still works and functions the way its suppost to. thats all that matters

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 13:25:47 »
The black tubing in this picture is the Loc-Line. It is used to direct the flow from the return pump
                                             :th_ShowLetter:

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2010, 13:56:13 »
Ahh, good to know..
and i never did get the answer of what LR , time to google.... and now i feel completely dumb as it is live rock LOL.....
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 14:22:36 by 213chrisp »

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2010, 15:39:34 »
Ahh, good to know..
and i never did get the answer of what LR , time to google.... and now i feel completely dumb as it is live rock LOL.....

Just a porus rock that hosts bacteria, and other tiny organizations.  I personally think its a much better "bang for the buck" to buy "base rock" (~$2/lb).  its just dry dead rock.... fill it up with base rock and few peices of live rock (~$7/lb) to seed it.  in a few months all your rock will become "live" :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2010, 15:45:36 »
yes thats what i was reading and since the tank will be completely new, it shoudlt be a problem, and ill probably hold off on the fish for a few months any to let everything come around and let the life grow some. and i got a reply from the owner of the tank and the lights and fans have been replaced just before it was stipped down for storage just a year ago, and was able to meet her half with with 65.00 dollars, so i am trying to make arangements to go pick up tonight.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 17:58:36 »
thats cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 20:59:02 »
i have the tank and its on the end of my pc desk right where its resting place will be and fits well... now i just have to stop and get sand rocks and water..... just gotta figure out when i can make it...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 21:12:50 »
If you want to get all the white hard calcium deposits out of it, fill it with water and a half gallon of vinegar. Run the pump for a day and rinse. It will look like new.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 21:23:28 »
its actualy really clean, doesnt gother me because i plan to cover most of the back with rocks anyway, so not a issue for me

the top looks great and not broke, both hindges were good, it was a pain for them so they keep it off, and he said the loc line never came with it.. so no biggie for me, the fans look almost new, and its still up and running right now..
what was include with the tank
saltwater test kit.
the small magnet cleaner
syphon tube to clean sand.
3 large foam pads ( i think for filter) looks brand new
sack of sand ( i think part of media for filter)
and the bio balls in bag
hydrometer made by coralife.
a timer for the lighting
Auga pro-cure

and it looks like 4 floating bio balls that flat around in the tank i beleive.

and about 100 dollars wiorth of tank decoration items ill never use because its all fake

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 21:39:47 »
I think you got a great deal, congrats.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 22:30:34 »
its actualy really clean, doesnt gother me because i plan to cover most of the back with rocks anyway, so not a issue for me

the top looks great and not broke, both hindges were good, it was a pain for them so they keep it off, and he said the loc line never came with it.. so no biggie for me, the fans look almost new, and its still up and running right now..
what was include with the tank
saltwater test kit.
the small magnet cleaner
syphon tube to clean sand.
3 large foam pads ( i think for filter) looks brand new
sack of sand ( i think part of media for filter)
and the bio balls in bag
hydrometer made by coralife.
a timer for the lighting
Auga pro-cure

and it looks like 4 floating bio balls that flat around in the tank i beleive.

and about 100 dollars wiorth of tank decoration items ill never use because its all fake

I would get rid of the test kits.  If the tank has been setting for a year the kits aren't any good.

I would also get rid of the hydrometer and get a refractormeter WAY more accurate.

Other than that looks like a good deal.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 22:33:45 »
I think you got a great deal, congrats.

+1!  I got a heck of a deal on a setup when I got into the hobby. And I thought "well, now I got the expensive part it should be cheap from here" LOLOLOLOL

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 22:34:48 »
+1!  I got a heck of a deal on a setup when I got into the hobby. And I thought "well, now I got the expensive part it should be cheap from here" LOLOLOLOL

Happens to us all. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2010, 08:41:44 »
oh i know the expensive part is far from over but its a good solid start, and i think tonight ill try to get it setup and running tonight with basic stuff , but well find out later tonight, and just hope im not slammed at work today so i can do some reasearch to find out what i need to buy now.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2010, 11:06:29 »
I got some dry rock rubble and some established rock in my sump if you want, to help get you started.   

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2010, 12:43:13 »
i might be interested.. i just am not sure when i can get around to picking anything up because of my hours. let me know how much for 10 lbs of rock and where your located and get back with you.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2010, 14:07:35 »
i might be interested.. i just am not sure when i can get around to picking anything up because of my hours. let me know how much for 10 lbs of rock and where your located and get back with you.
I probably have about 10 lbs of rubble you can have. Just bring a bucket :)

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #49 on: October 01, 2010, 21:44:10 »
how about we plan for one day during the week, im gong out of town tomrrow night after work and wont be home till late sunday and since i dont have sand or water yet, kinda pointless to get live rock if i have no water to put it in LOL...... so ill have to figure that out during the same day i can swing by to get the rocks, thursday is my best day because i am off work... but if i figure out the saltwater part i can do it anyday after i get off work, and being i work in leo st in downtown dayton , im in a good central location for just about anywhere and i get off typcialy around 630.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #50 on: October 01, 2010, 21:49:01 »
and you guys would know this best, as i have downloaded the manual to my tank, it says if i am doing a reef setup, i dont have to cermic rings bag and the bio balls , "maintaining an average of 1lb of lr will create a live bio filter system as well as denitrification system ultimatly creating a balanced biotpe" so basicaly just run the sponges and a sack of crushed live rock in the back ? and then the pump back to my tank and thats it?

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #51 on: October 01, 2010, 21:53:25 »
and would you suggest i just buy pre mixed water from gerbers, i beleive they still sell premixed ready to go water for saltwater tanks or should i just do it myself? and any suggestions on sand substrate??? jacks had mentioned one name that has biological life in it to help start cycling the tank and supposbably best for the fish i just forget the name of it..

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2010, 22:18:23 »
and would you suggest i just buy pre mixed water from gerbers, i beleive they still sell premixed ready to go water for saltwater tanks or should i just do it myself? and any suggestions on sand substrate??? jacks had mentioned one name that has biological life in it to help start cycling the tank and supposbably best for the fish i just forget the name of it..
noooo mix it ur self take u time do it right u dont know what is realy in there watter dont know how long has it been mixed up
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2010, 22:31:16 »
noooo mix it ur self take u time do it right u dont know what is realy in there watter dont know how long has it been mixed up

Double, no wait, triple ditto that.

Make your own.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 09:04:05 »
thanks for the advise! thats why i asked...

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2010, 15:24:50 »
Question about heating now, the heater i have currently, should i just use it for water cycles and when i buy my new one, get one that sould work for my new nano? as i know tempature is critical on tanks, so was thinking that may be the best way as ill need one for my water cycle setup with the powerhead to move the water around..

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2010, 15:34:15 »
I mix my water in a tote.  I have a heater and a power head in it.  Keep the heater on the same temp as your tank.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2010, 16:14:26 »
correct, but should i buy a new heater for my tank and use the old heater for my tote? or just use the old one in the tank and use the new one in the tote? i guess if it doesnt work, then it solves my issue LOL

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2010, 16:19:30 »
i would use a new one on the tank just to be on the safe side
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2010, 16:53:57 »
kinda what i was thinking because i know how impt the water temps are , and invest in a good one for the nano would be better then a decent one that will get used just once in a while...

Offline Kenn

« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2010, 18:06:33 »
kinda what i was thinking because i know how impt the water temps are , and invest in a good one for the nano would be better then a decent one that will get used just once in a while...

:-Thumb

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2010, 17:30:14 »
Another question . Since i dont have le or fish yet would it hurt if I put sand and mix the water directly  in the tank instead of a conyainer for a day for  the dirst day? And add le in a day or two.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2010, 17:33:53 »
thats what i did i had all the sand in the tank  than i filled it all up with fresh water and had it up and running and than added the salt to it i than let it run for about a week to make sure everything was ok than i added about 3 cheap fish and about a week latter i added 2 live rocks and some live sand than let everything cycle
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #63 on: October 03, 2010, 19:20:48 »
so its not best to use live sand at first? because i was thinking thats what was required in my smaller tank because of lack or rocks and everything, and help the coarls and fish once i get that far...

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2010, 20:03:16 »
if you start with "live sand" and then add fresh water and then salt and let it mix in the tank your "live sand" will be dead sand.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2010, 20:50:01 »
if you start with "live sand" and then add fresh water and then salt and let it mix in the tank your "live sand" will be dead sand.

Yep, When you come get this rubble from me, I will give you some live rock from my sump.  Have you tank allready up and running correct SG, temp, etc.  Then put the rock and rubble into your tank, It will help start the cycle. I'll even give you a cup of sand to seed :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2010, 20:58:31 »
yup
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2010, 21:26:36 »
sounds good, ill go to lfs and get salt and get it running tomorrow after work. and worry about the sand once i get the rocks from you...

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2010, 21:27:21 »
just got the tank up and running, added what is recommended for salt and the declorinator and should be ready in by wednesday i would hope.....

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2010, 21:37:09 »
declorniator?  Your not using RO/DI water?  At the very least distilled water from Wal-Mart.  NEVER use tap water, that is hair algae waiting to happen.  If this is a Nano it can't cost that much to use distilled.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2010, 21:57:06 »
guess im use to my freshwater ways, i will cycle it out tomorrow and change it for distilled water then. i guess i learn from my mistakes, all the reasearch i did, not much was even mentioned about using tap water or distilled water , everything i read was just saying make sure you its chlorine free.........

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2010, 21:59:43 »
guess im use to my freshwater ways, i will cycle it out tomorrow and change it for distilled water then. i guess i learn from my mistakes, all the reasearch i did, not much was even mentioned about using tap water or distilled water , everything i read was just saying make sure you its chlorine free.........

Chlorine, nitrate, phosphate, and heavy metal free :)

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2010, 22:03:07 »
Some guys use tap water, but they usually have a bad algae problem down the road and can't figure it out or something bad happens and they try to make a lot of water quickly and end up killing the whole tank.  Its best to start out with pure water from the begining and save a headache down the road.  Later on I would recommend a RO/DI unit, being a Nano you could get away with a 25 GPD one and save some money.    That was my most cost saving purchase so far, I was buying 80-90 gallons of distilled every month or so when I first started.  I can make 150 gallons a month and my water bill only goes up 2-3 dollars.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2010, 23:17:33 »
Some guys use tap water, but they usually have a bad algae problem down the road and can't figure it out or something bad happens and they try to make a lot of water quickly and end up killing the whole tank.  Its best to start out with pure water from the begining and save a headache down the road.  Later on I would recommend a RO/DI unit, being a Nano you could get away with a 25 GPD one and save some money.    That was my most cost saving purchase so far, I was buying 80-90 gallons of distilled every month or so when I first started.  I can make 150 gallons a month and my water bill only goes up 2-3 dollars.

You could get away super cheap with a DI only system if you arent affraid to play with muratic acid and lye once a month  to recharge

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2010, 23:36:57 »
You could get away super cheap with a DI only system if you arent affraid to play with muratic acid and lye once a month  to recharge

Ohhhhh yeah! This is what I am moving to.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2010, 01:59:16 »
I wouldn't recommend distilled water  ... Get the RO water at Cubs ect... buy it by the 5 gallon or 1 gallon ...pay $14 or so for the first 5 gallon bottle and then its only like a 1.37 per gallon to refill it

I dont recommend the distilled water because it can contain copper due to the process of distillation. You just never know.

So I recommend the RO.

IMO :)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2010, 02:06:56 »
Hey Ken, I think you meant the other way around. RO water could contains copper and other nasties not distilled water.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2010, 02:22:31 »
I am trying to find the article I read about it but it has to do with the cooling coils in the distillation systems being copper. Since its at the end of the process, the copper hitches a ride in the final product.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2010, 02:31:07 »
Sounds plausible however my guess is, it is an insignificant amount. RO water typically runs 15-100+ Total Dissolved Solids as apposed to 0 for RO+DI water.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2010, 06:29:37 »
I wouldn't recommend distilled water  ... Get the RO water at Cubs ect... buy it by the 5 gallon or 1 gallon ...pay $14 or so for the first 5 gallon bottle and then its only like a 1.37 per gallon to refill it

I dont recommend the distilled water because it can contain copper due to the process of distillation. You just never know.

So I recommend the RO.

IMO :)

The problem with the  RO water you buy at the store is you don't know when their filters were last changed, you may be buying nothing more than tap water.  I believe Russ at BFS even told us at the meeting that was a big NO NO.   Most distilled water is 99.9% pure, check the label.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2010, 08:14:17 »
Most distilled water is 99.9% pure, check the label.
i have heard that on  distilled
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2010, 08:48:25 »
i have heard that on  distilled

I had always heard not to use distilled water, i just happin to have a gallon of Meijer distilled water here so i did a TDS test on it and hers the reading
001 not bad at all, id use it!!!

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2010, 08:55:14 »
ok so distilled water it will be...... il go on my lunch break and buy 10 gallons as its all i will need after i get the rocks and sand in there, and be still way to much.........

i filled up the tank and put the salt in and let it run all night, this morning it was testing at 1.275 so as a newbie i didnt measure the water it actualy took and put in accoriding to the label of the salt for 11 gallons.  so im going to have to restart anyway... this time ill be able to measure better this time since i know exactly how much is going in and ill leave it short this time as well to make sure i dont go over again on the salinity.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2010, 09:25:47 »
and i sent a email to coral ranch to get hours and some information and never have heard back yet, so hopefuly sonmeone can tell me there hours of operation and may swing out there thursday.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2010, 12:47:06 »
well here are some options then, i can go to walmart and distilled water is .82 per gallon, had no larger containers for it, or i can go to gerbers and get RO water at .49, or already mixed saltwater for .79 gallon........ is it me or does that seem to be a decent price for RO water?

http://saltwaterwarehouse.com/Gerbers_Saltwater_Warehouse/Services.html

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2010, 12:50:30 »
Where are you located and how many gallons do you need??

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2010, 13:10:58 »
next to bojangles and bw3's by interstate ford, and 12 gallons, i would think after all said and full, about 8 or so...

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2010, 14:06:58 »
Bring some jugs when you come and I'll see you some <5 TDS water for cheaper than stores.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2010, 14:23:12 »
ok cool, i have a larger container now that may hold about 8-10 gallons and ill have to go find me another 5 gallon bucket with a lid..... i guess ill hit up home depot on my way home....

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2010, 15:18:48 »
Where are you located and how many gallons do you need??

I was just going to give you TDS 0 for free

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2010, 15:54:22 »
how about i get some from you both  :smiley-happy112:, i can get some from you tonight if possiable and ill swap out what i have for the new water and get it setup ,and then when i come get the rocks and sand ill get a small amout to transport for me home to keep for tapoff... :)

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2010, 08:49:45 »
I was just going to give you TDS 0 for free

thanks to harley i swapped out my water i had for the tds 0, and added less salt this time, and its right on the money this time... woke up and it tested at 1.021 and water temp was 74-75 ish but the heater was still running so hopefully by the time i get home it should be around 78-80 ish i would thing. if not ill adjust it up but so far looking good...

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2010, 08:55:56 »
Your gonna wanna bump the SG up to 1.026, or 35ppm.  Most saltwater keepers run a SG of 1.025-1.027, the recomended 1.021 is a little low for home aquarium use.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2010, 10:03:42 »
thats the plan once i get eveything going, because i dont have fish or coral yet, wasnt such a huge issue, once i get the rocks and everything in, ill probably get a damsey from someone and let it help cycle the tank, and then once i start adding frags, then ill slowly increase at that point.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2010, 11:28:42 »
It's easier to increase it now and not cause stress on any fish, even a damsel.  Besides if you put live rock in your system of 1.021 and it comes from a system of 1.026 your gonna kill off some stuff.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2010, 11:37:12 »
ok ill increas it to around .025 to be kinda the middle of everything, and going to jacks on lunch to get a ph buffer as well. because i know i will have to have it for the rocks, fish and corals.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2010, 12:44:31 »
question about filtration, Being i am going to do the reef setup and getting the live rock tomorrow, i know it becomes a large natural filter basicaly, the nano comes with 3 sections for filtration, keep the foam , and then remove the bio balls and the ceramic rings and just keep the carbon pellets in the filer? or remove them as well???

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2010, 17:57:55 »
I would keep the carbon, but I've never ran a Nano so I'm not 100% that is correct.  But I don't see how it could hurt.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2010, 17:58:44 »
ok ill increas it to around .025 to be kinda the middle of everything, and going to jacks on lunch to get a ph buffer as well. because i know i will have to have it for the rocks, fish and corals.

Your salt mix already has buffer.  Trying to adjust the pH will get things crazy quick.  Stability is more important that dead on correctness. 

question about filtration, Being i am going to do the reef setup and getting the live rock tomorrow, i know it becomes a large natural filter basicaly, the nano comes with 3 sections for filtration, keep the foam , and then remove the bio balls and the ceramic rings and just keep the carbon pellets in the filer? or remove them as well???

ceramic rings will basically do that same job as liverock, running a little carbon would be fine, otherwise you can do a mod to grow macroalgae in there (if your a DIY type person. google it).  Im sure others that have run BC can chime in with their filter setups.

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #99 on: October 07, 2010, 19:32:59 »

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2010, 19:35:54 »
looks good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2010, 19:48:29 »
Before things get all settled, I would twist the rock down and make sure its sitting on the tank bottom, not resting on the sand.  If you get any digging fish in the future they could dig under and maybe make it unstable.  Prob not a big deal in a nano, but an easy check for you :)

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2010, 20:23:00 »
is this a small coral that survived the trip from tom83's tank to mine?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2010, 20:45:09 »
ya not something u want kill it
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2010, 20:49:55 »
looks like a mojano anemone to me....... this is a pest.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2010, 21:49:38 »
just remove the rock, before anything happends.  Will be much less headache in the future, They multiple like crazy

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #106 on: October 21, 2010, 17:06:37 »
so far so good, it seems they did not come back and seems water testing has stabled out.... so im going to let it run for probably 1 more week and look to get something for the tank.... cant wait..

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #107 on: October 21, 2010, 18:46:01 »
thats great  just dont add to much to quick
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #108 on: October 22, 2010, 11:54:35 »
all i plan to do is just have 2 clowns , and a few corals nothing major.... so shouldnt be too rouch, and im just going to start with 1 or 2 small corals for now and wait a little bit before i do the clowns..

Offline Kenn

« Reply #109 on: October 22, 2010, 13:05:54 »
 :th_ShowLetter:

thats great  just dont add to much to quick

I agree with Hunger

Patience can be the hardest thing.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #110 on: October 22, 2010, 20:24:50 »
i go with the clowns than the corals
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #111 on: October 22, 2010, 20:51:56 »
ok if i go that route i would have to go right for the pair and a anemone, which is why i was thinking just the small coarl or two and let them settle in before i went for the large change... but this is why i was asking because im new to all this...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #112 on: October 22, 2010, 21:25:37 »
o ok  that is a tough one
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #113 on: October 25, 2010, 14:34:24 »

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #114 on: October 25, 2010, 14:41:44 »
pictures arnt the greatest as i took them with my cell late lasntight... hopefully will get better pictures tonight...
And trying to do research for them all so i know what is what, and maintance i need to do to keep them as happy as can be..

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
« Reply #115 on: October 25, 2010, 14:52:56 »
Id put that blue ridge as high as you can get it, they love the light!

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2010, 15:04:21 »
i will move it up to the top of the left rock when i get home... hard to tell yet but i think the rest like where they are at.. just have to keep a eye on them for a few days for any signs for anything and go from there..

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2010, 16:29:24 »
i hope i am correct with these , trying to identify them all so i know what is what, and feeding, water all that fun stuff...

Blue mushroom
watermelon mushroom
Tonga purple mushroom
Candy Coral
Blue ridge Coral
purple goniopora? attached to the side of the rock on far right side....
and i have no clue what the red one is next to it????

did i fail my quiz?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2010, 16:36:33 »
all the mushroom i would put near the bottom  they r very easy to keep
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline 213chrisp

• Fry
« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2010, 20:10:39 »

Offline HUNGER