2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Outer Orbit light maintenance question  (Read 603 times)

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
Outer Orbit light maintenance question
« on: October 29, 2010, 13:35:05 »
So I bought this used store fixture from Justin a few weeks ago, and finally got the correct leg kit ordered in and got it all fired up.

It's been running nicely for about 3 weeks, I guess.   Today, I noticed some fan noise (think it's the fan(s) anyway). 

I turned the fixture off at the switches, used some canned air to clean out what I could (they aren't really dirty, just some minor dust accumulation), and then let it cool for a few minutes before turning them back on.  This time they are as quiet as normal. 

Do I have a problem brewing?
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Outer Orbit light maintenance question
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2010, 14:14:33 »
Not necessarily ... Those fans (due to light weight and high rpm) get off balance easy if they are dusty. That being said, the small bearings (if any) can/will wear out.

If it goes bad, easy fix with a replacement fan (not expensive)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 00:26:25 »
Ok, that's good to know.  We have a VERY dusty family room due to my African Grey parrot mostly.
-Steph
--------------

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 00:31:43 »
African Grey parrot mostly.
ya that will do it
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 11:09:13 »
I replaced the fans on both of those fixtures Steph. You should be good to go for some time. They are a cheap and fairly easy fix.

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 10:58:32 »
 ::)  Guess I oughta use the New Replies to Your Posts more often, eh?

Thanks, I thought I remembered that you had pretty much refurbed the entire fixture.  It still does this about once or twice a month.  It really sounds sort of alarming but so far it's working great.  My corals are sure happy. 
-Steph
--------------