2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: bio pellets  (Read 1320 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
bio pellets
« on: April 03, 2011, 22:00:34 »
Who all is using boi pellets?  My buddy Bin has bragged them up.  I recently found that I have been overlooking my nitrates and they had gotten clear up to 40 ppm.  Corals have been not looking good and have been getting some stn.  What was confussing was I dont have any algae problems.  I modded one of my little fishies reactor today and started running bio pellets.  I will do another water test in a week or so and see if the pellets have started to work.  I have been running a remote deep sand bed, along with some cheato and several mangroves and apparently they havent been working too good.  I will post my results.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: bio pellets
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 22:05:17 »
I think Algae will consume phosphates but not typically nitrates. I could be wrong but if that is true it makes sense if you had low phosphates no algae but high nitrates. Larrynews and Kattz both also had high nitrates and no algae.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 17:53:31 »
I can testify as to the no algae growth with high nitrates.  I have used phos ban that has kept my phos levels low.  I have a cheaper test kit for nitrates and with the 2nd step in the test you have to shake the bottle for 30 sec.  I just always looked at the pics of the test kit and never followed this step which has given me the false test that didnt show the high nitrates.  I now believe that all of my past issues with my corals have been due to this nitrate issue.  It would seem that monti's are most effected.  All of my other corals have survived ok but the caps.  Seems that most of my problems in this hobby I have caused myself.
Jeff

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 02:06:59 »
jeff!!i think you will like the bio pellet .
got home tonight,the solana water is crystal clear,only time i see water that clear is when at my buddy house he use ozone unit
this is only thing i have change when i redo my solana,using bio pellet about a month ,i do have a algae boom when i 1st use it,(it clear state in the instruction it will cause little algae boom 1st) after that gone,i haven't scrape the tank for almost 5 days,use to once a day.so hope it work out for u also!!

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 03:57:46 »
also here is a photo u can see the water
too bad haven't got any color stick yet! ;D
tank hasn't been scrap for almost a week