2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Phosphate issue  (Read 11032 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: Phosphate issue
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2011, 14:45:34 »
you should add your books to our library ;) even though i'm sure they're not all fish related

But yeah, whenever you feel like giving it a try, an enclosed system can be easily made and still not cost much, maybe 100, or close to that depending on how it needs to be made. Still rather minimal in price considering all that it does and the money you may save in other areas.

You have a $4k cmputer, what do you have a dual zeon with 10TB of drive space or something? 4 Monitors with some high end graphics cards?

At work i do :)  dual Xeons,16gb ram, gtx460(kinda old) and dual 28 inch monitors i think :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2011, 15:54:23 »
At work i do :)  dual Xeons,16gb ram, gtx460(kinda old) and dual 28 inch monitors i think :)

Its good to see our tax dollars are being used for something good ;P
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 19:28:17 »
you should add your books to our library ;) even though i'm sure they're not all fish related

But yeah, whenever you feel like giving it a try, an enclosed system can be easily made and still not cost much, maybe 100, or close to that depending on how it needs to be made. Still rather minimal in price considering all that it does and the money you may save in other areas.

You have a $4k cmputer, what do you have a dual zeon with 10TB of drive space or something? 4 Monitors with some high end graphics cards?

My computer that I use for the forums is an Intel Core i7 930-based liquid-cooled system with 5 drives, a Radeon 5700 video card, and 6 Gb of RAM, all in a heavily-modified, custom-painted CoolerMaster Cosmos chassis with an external paint job by CSX Customs.  29" monitor.  I also use this system for FPS, RPG, and sim stuff (Total War:Shogun 2), plus school work, photography apps, and music apps.

The system that is currently under build will use an Intel i7-990X hexacore processor, two graphics cards running SLI or CrossFire, 12Gb of RAM, USB 3.0, and quad SSD's running a RAID 10 config; two 1Tb drives will run a RAID 1 config for data file storage.  This is strictly a flight-sim machine.  The build is 25% complete.

All of my mobos are ASUS Rampage-series LGA 1366-based boards.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Online Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 19:33:30 »
My computer that I use for the forums is an Intel Core i7 930-based liquid-cooled system with 5 drives, a Radeon 5700 video card, and 6 Gb of RAM, all in a heavily-modified, custom-painted CoolerMaster Cosmos chassis with an external paint job by CSX Customs.  29" monitor.  I also use this system for FPS, RPG, and sim stuff (Total War:Shogun 2), plus school work, photography apps, and music apps.

The system that is currently under build will use an Intel i7-990X hexacore processor, two graphics cards running SLI or CrossFire, 12Gb of RAM, USB 3.0, and quad SSD's running a RAID 10 config; two 1Tb drives will run a RAID 1 config for data file storage.  This is strictly a flight-sim machine.  The build is 25% complete.

All of my mobos are ASUS Rampage-series LGA 1366-based boards.

Kev

That makes your reefing hobby seem more plain

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 19:40:52 »
I think we are getting a little off topic :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 19:42:24 »
Like you, I'm a technically-oriented person, and I like high-tech stuff!
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2011, 19:43:44 »
Leave it to you to keep us on track, Kenn!

Offline Kenn

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 20:19:34 »
Leave it to you to keep us on track, Kenn!

Only because I get so off topic myself :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2011, 05:22:06 »
Please keep us updated on the progress Lazylivin.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2011, 12:07:58 »
Thank you everyone for feedback and suggestions. I haven't done anything new yet. Just keeping the gfo running and pruning the cheato. Sounds like consensus is rock. I may isolate it and see if the phosphates go up in the tank with the rock as mrfish recommend. Also may try a scrubber but will be awhile to find time. I will keep everyone posted. Keep ideas coming.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2011, 12:36:37 »
Thank you everyone for feedback and suggestions. I haven't done anything new yet. Just keeping the gfo running and pruning the cheato. Sounds like consensus is rock. I may isolate it and see if the phosphates go up in the tank with the rock as mrfish recommend. Also may try a scrubber but will be awhile to find time. I will keep everyone posted. Keep ideas coming.

If you need that tub just let me know its here not being used right now.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2011, 12:50:51 »

Ok, if you decide to, or if anyone wants it, in a couple weeks, my new screen should be good to go so the old can be given to someone else. The only thing is, that you will have to take it soon as you have to keep it wet.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2011, 12:53:21 »
Ok, if you decide to, or if anyone wants it, in a couple weeks, my new screen should be good to go so the old can be given to someone else. The only thing is, that you will have to take it soon as you have to keep it wet.

Maybe interested in that Darin!

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2011, 15:44:59 »
Lazy do you have any egg-crate in the tanks? I found that when i laid the bottom of my tank with the white egg-crate and placed sand over it,  I had all kinds of algae issues.  Then I removed the egg-crate and my algae problems went away.  Could it be the egg-crate maybe or maybe I was paying more attention to my tank, thus better care of it during that time?

just a thought 

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, 15:56:35 »
Maybe interested in that Darin!

ok, if Brian doesnt want it you can have it. I'll trade you for that achilies tang ;) jk

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2011, 20:04:33 »
ok, if Brian doesnt want it you can have it. I'll trade you for that achilies tang ;) jk

GREAT!   :-ThumbUpsm

Ha ha ha...You would have a big fight on your hands for my achillies!  :D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2011, 22:00:26 »

I will pass for now Darin. Thanks for the offer though

Lazy do you have any egg-crate in the tanks? I found that when i laid the bottom of my tank with the white egg-crate and placed sand over it,  I had all kinds of algae issues.  Then I removed the egg-crate and my algae problems went away.  Could it be the egg-crate maybe or maybe I was paying more attention to my tank, thus better care of it during that time?

just a thought 

I do have egg crate in my frag tank but it is bare bottom. I know what you mean though. Had the same issue before as well. It really traps the Detritus.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 09:42:38 »
ok, well micki, looks like you can have it then if you are ready for it when i switch to my new screen. Its taking off pretty well, got to clean it tonight, so i'm thinking it should be ready by next friday.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2011, 18:30:12 »
ok, well micki, looks like you can have it then if you are ready for it when i switch to my new screen. Its taking off pretty well, got to clean it tonight, so i'm thinking it should be ready by next friday.

I'll be ready!  What exactly do I need to have Randy do to have what I need ready?  :)

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2011, 18:52:55 »
I'll be ready!  What exactly do I need to have Randy do to have what I need ready?  :)

What? Lets all look at this statement shall we!  :hmmmm: Something just seems a little fishy.  >:D

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2011, 18:55:32 »
What? Lets all look at this statement shall we!  :hmmmm: Something just seems a little fishy.  >:D

It's called the JOY of being a WOMAN!!!  LOL   >:D

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2011, 18:59:35 »

it all depends on how you want to hook it up. The screen i have is 1.9" wide and i think it is 10" tall. What you will need is some PVC with a slit cut in it, just like i show in my 280gal DIY thread. If you want it gravity fed, have the drain line run to this PVC skimmer tube. Then however you want to do the lighting, you will need at least 4 100w CFL 2700k bulbs, 2 for each side. IT all basically comes down to how you want to set it up, but thats really all that you need. Oh and of course, something to suspend the tubing above the refuge.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2011, 22:31:37 »
Ok, I'll show this to Randy and see what he says.

Offline thepipbull

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2011, 09:52:10 »
Micki check this link out should answer any question you have

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1977420&highlight=ats

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2011, 12:22:52 »
it might be best to go to algaescrubber.net because just like many other threads on RC, its congested with a million posts. But the first couple posts are main key points.