2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Grey Splotched Asterina in Zoa Colony  (Read 2229 times)

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
Grey Splotched Asterina in Zoa Colony
« on: September 06, 2011, 11:52:43 »
Past two or three days I noticed a Zoa colony not looking quite right.  Some were closed and others not open all the way.  When I got up this morning I used an led flashlight and found a Grey Splotched Asterina in Zoa Colony.  I have read where some of these are Zoa predators.  There was one or two old threads here about this issue.

Anyone else ever experience this?  I have the light beige Asterina in other tanks and they didn't seem to pose a problem, but have not seen the light and dark grey splotched on before.

What eats these Grey Splotched Asterina, and or how do you control/exterminate them?

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Grey Splotched Asterina in Zoa Colony
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 13:11:08 »
I have read on WWM that asternia have been witnessed eating zoas, but these are usually dead or dieing zoas and that the star is just doing it's normal scavenging routine... I have read that they state they don't openly attack healthy zoa... So you may want to look into the health of your zoa colony aswell? just incase? Seems like the asternia may be doing you a favor atm

If they are openly attacking your Zoa's though... a harlequin shrimp will eat them(not always 100%) but he may also eat all your other star species aswell... and he would need to be supplemented food or he will starve once he gets rid of your star population
« Last Edit: September 06, 2011, 13:21:14 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 13:19:32 »
A Harlequin Shrimp will eat the starfish.     For now, just pic it out of the zoa.    But I agree with Boon, it's probably something else...

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 13:40:42 »
Hmmmmm Parameters are good.  I need to take a closer look tonight to see if there is anything on them. 

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 14:32:29 »
I had asterina stars eating zoas and sps corals.  they would wipe out healthy colonies in no time at all.  I put in a harlequin shrimp and now have a nice balance, not enough to eat corals, but enough to scavenge and keep the harlequin alive without supplemental feeding.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 14:36:08 »
I had asterina stars eating zoas and sps corals.  they would wipe out healthy colonies in no time at all.  I put in a harlequin shrimp and now have a nice balance, not enough to eat corals, but enough to scavenge and keep the harlequin alive without supplemental feeding.

Says they have an appetite for sea urchins too.  My black long spine wouldn't like that.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 14:52:42 »
I have a long spine urchin in the tank and they are fine.  The harlequin is much to small to mess with him.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.