2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 10 gallon free tank .... now what  (Read 2099 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
10 gallon free tank .... now what
« on: December 10, 2011, 07:52:50 »
So I was looking at different tanks to set up at work (out at the base).  I was given a free 10 gallon tank last night (brand new)

So plans are:
100 watt heater
HOB filter rated for 100 gallon aquarium (330 GPH) flow rate adjustable (will this work)

thoughts on lights for this tank?  Tank does not have a hood.

would like to keep some corals in it..  softies.... 

Offline Amstar

• Adult

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
Re: 10 gallon free tank .... now what
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:51:13 »
So I was looking at different tanks to set up at work (out at the base).  I was given a free 10 gallon tank last night (brand new)

So plans are:
100 watt heater
HOB filter rated for 100 gallon aquarium (330 GPH) flow rate adjustable (will this work)

thoughts on lights for this tank?  Tank does not have a hood.

would like to keep some corals in it..  softies.... 

Aqua Clear filters are my recommendation for HOB filters. Due to the ability to use almost any specific media you want. Quite like a canister filter, which would be better to use (IMHO) if you can get away with it in your building.  :hmmmm:  You probably could get away with using a 50w heater (again depends on your building temp)

As far as the lighting...that really just depends on how much  :-$  you really want to invest, and what type of corals you want to keep. 

Here is an amazing example of what you can do with a 10g aquarium... :-Rock

http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=12532.msg110198#msg110198   

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 10:03:25 »
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 11:21:41 »
Lights:  http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/Detail.aspx?id=4557 

I was going to put two of these on the tank.  they are each 24 leds and are 24 watts each.  I can get them for $21.50 each today.

the heater is one of those that have the temp set at 78 degrees internally... so I figured why not 100watt.  My building ranges from 67-72 degrees right now

as far as a HOB filter.  Aqua clear 50 or Aqua clear 70??

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 13:34:16 »

I was going to put two of these on the tank.  they are each 24 leds and are 24 watts each.  I can get them for $21.50 each today.

Very nice price on those...if you dont mind me asking, where/how are you getting them for that price? :-)

As for the filter question, i think the 70 is physically bigger than the 50, so you have a larger area for media depending on what/how you decide to use it.

Jerry

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 13:55:01 »
Meijer has them on sale today for 27.99  then they have a 20% off coupon on all General Merchandise.  Since I work part time at Meijer I get an additional 10% on top of that.  so $21.56.  Plus if I dont end up liking them... Meijer will let me return them.

I think I will go with the AC 70. 

Im off to the store to start buying somethings up.. to start this build

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2011, 15:05:06 »
I think I will go with the AC 70.

I'm sure you'll be happy with the versatility, and simplicity of the Aqua Clear filter line.

Too bad they are only 1 watt leds.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 17:03:06 by Reefpete »

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 19:43:11 »
So I ended up with a 5 gallon rimless tank that has rounded front corners.  The 27 watt LED light and an hob filter (even though they are 1 watt leds).  So far I have painted the back black and picked out some live rock.  I might upgrade the lights later on depending on how these work out

I will start setting this up at work on Tuesdaywhen I go back

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2012, 01:19:38 »
The 27 watt LED light and an hob filter (even though they are 1 watt leds).

I went to Meijer to look at that light, but I couldn't see anywhere on it that it uses 1 watt leds. On their website ( http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/Detail.aspx?id=4557 ) they say it uses a 9volt DC power supply. If thats true, would it be conceivable that these are running 1 Watt LEDs? Just curious more than anything else, but I am getting interested in the light.

Jerry

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2012, 08:54:02 »
If you open up the box and pull out the instructions it says for the 24watt/16watt led light fixtures.  I assumed since it had 24 LED's that it was/is the 24 watt one and not the 16watt one.

Only issue I have is they are all white LED's.  Would like to get some blue over the tank to make the upcoming corals I am going to putt in "pop" more but unsure how to get blue LEDs over the tank at this point. 

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 18:45:43 »
Any one use these lights?? 

Im looking at buying my son this.
http://www.tetra-fish.com/sites/tetrafish/catalog/Detail.aspx?id=4270

He is really getting into saltwater corals and fish.  Just getting it for his room.  The lights look nice, would they grow some mushrooms, zoas, and toadstools?

Jeremy