2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: yes or no to filter socks?  (Read 5376 times)

Offline Viggen

yes or no to filter socks?
« on: December 17, 2011, 11:11:57 »
filters finally arrived and & am doing the FOWLR route

Do I need to use filter socks or is having a good cleanup crew in the fuge with some chaeto enough?  Trying to figure out what I need to do plumbing wise
300g tub o fish

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
Re: yes or no to filter socks?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 12:36:19 »
I've always gone with the understanding that it's best to use them as long as you plan on cleaning/changing them out regularly.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 15:09:30 »
i would use them just to catch the big stff
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 17:41:37 »
Those are good if you want to change them every 3rd day or so. I plan to run them when first setting up our system so any free floating radicals that might have settled in the tank during construction will be trapped.  But after a few weeks I'm going to take them out (too much work).

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 18:39:40 »
Filter socks, God, yes. You would freak out if you could see what my four socks pick up, and I change them once a week.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2011, 20:03:13 »
Do you guys change them or just rinse them out?

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2011, 22:45:27 »
I rinse mine out. Picks up some nasty stuff.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2011, 23:06:45 »
I wash mine on sanitary cycle and a tablespoon of bleach, also use extra rinse cycle.  Been using the same four socks for 18 months.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Viggen

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2011, 23:36:29 »
Thanks!!

How long are the filter socks?  Trying to now figure out how much room I need to leave for them

anyone have pics of them in their sump so I can get a idea how to make room for them?  My sumps are just two boxes 36x24x17 tall.... & I have two...one will be a fuge & the 2nd will hold the skimmer & return pump.

sometimes I wonder if I should use 3 sumps for filtration... two as the fuge areas & one for the skimmer & return pump. But then I have no room to mix water for water changes etc..... that would be on the other end of the house.... ugh

300g tub o fish

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 08:22:35 »
love my socks !! wouldn't be with out them now. sure you have to change them & wash them. but it's gotta cut down on the cleaning of the sump.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 08:29:33 »
I use felt pads instead of socks. They are a lot easier to change out in my setup due to tight space and are cheap. 4 for $1 at hobby lobby. I have been just pitching them but I may try and hand wash some and reuse to see how they work. I would at least use something like a filter floss pad to help catch some of the large stuff.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 10:28:23 »
Thanks!!

How long are the filter socks?  Trying to now figure out how much room I need to leave for them

anyone have pics of them in their sump so I can get a idea how to make room for them?  My sumps are just two boxes 36x24x17 tall.... & I have two...one will be a fuge & the 2nd will hold the skimmer & return pump.

sometimes I wonder if I should use 3 sumps for filtration... two as the fuge areas & one for the skimmer & return pump. But then I have no room to mix water for water changes etc..... that would be on the other end of the house.... ugh

4" dia by 11", 100 micron.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 10:53:19 »
i change mine out and when i have 6 pair used i was them in bleach
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 13:01:20 »
Anyone tried the mesh socks? I was thinking about going over to them.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2011, 13:19:06 »
I switched over to the mesh filter socks a few weeks ago.  I don't think they remove as much as the felt version, but they don't get clogged up as fast either.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2011, 13:30:46 »
Do they not permit the bubbles to pass through like felt does?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2011, 21:27:19 »
ya but didnt like them
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2011, 22:29:32 »
ya but didnt like them

thanks for the detailed explanation. that helps!  ...lol 

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2011, 23:53:58 »
If you can keep on top of keeping them clean, they work great.

Me? Not so much.. too lazy.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2011, 08:15:36 »

ya but didnt like them
thanks for the detailed explanation. that helps!  ...lol 

ur welcome
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Viggen

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 00:34:44 »
Well... back to trying to decide if I should use socks or not.  I had two on my tank for a few days & they are clogged up, thus I guess I probably need 4-6 socks so the filter can run for more then a few day's w/o needing to be changed.  I was reading on Melevsreef site & he is against using filter socks.  He states they clog to quickly thus need maintenance otherwise do more harm then good.  So I am back to thinking I shouldn't use them...... ugh...... 

Kattz mentioned to me that there are bubble towers, on Melevs site he seems to use bubble towers to eliminate micro bubbles & they sit where the filter socks go.  Debating ongoing this route somehow instead of the filter socks........

300g tub o fish

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 08:09:58 »
There is nothing wrong with filter socks......unless you don't maintain them.   Then they are bad.    They should be changed at least once a week.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 09:17:08 »
If I remember right a few years back we did a large group buy on filter socks.  They were pretty cheap and I ended up getting like 10 of them.  If you had a large "collection" of socks it wouldnt be as bad... then you could rotate them easier and then do one large load in the washer once you had enough that needed to be cleaned

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2012, 11:05:33 »
ya i have about 10 pair of socks makes it alot easyer to wash them  and if i go on vacation yes i have some one to come check on the tank and if need to swap them out  if u dont want to u can just not run them when u leave
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2012, 16:59:47 »
There is nothing wrong with filter socks......unless you don't maintain them.   Then they are bad.    They should be changed at least once a week.
+1

Yeah amstar, i am pretty sure that is the one i am recalling...  I would be down for atleast 10 myself at that price.
+1

Is this better Beanjob? lol
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 17:01:21 by Reefpete »