2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: If I had  (Read 6127 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
If I had
« on: December 30, 2006, 13:05:35 »
a fish only 150 gallon tank what would some cool fish options be???  I know there would be 2 hippo tangs and 1 powder blue tang in there.  Give me some other ideas of "cool" fish to add to that size tank. 

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
Re: If I had
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 13:22:50 »
oh lord, micki is upgrading....I bet she wants to put a 150 downstairs to save her bastard hippos

Harliquin Tusk or however you spell it

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 13:27:17 »
Matt you crack me up!  Yes I am trying to save my hippos (and zoas)  and yes it would go down stairs.  Geeezzzzz how "do" you know these things?   ;D 

A Harlequin Tusk would be cool.  (you kow who would be soooo proud of me for getting one of those!  ;D )

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 14:56:24 »
I would consider a trigger of some kind.  Triggers that are known to not have a attitudes are the hawian (that's what I have), niger, blue jaw/throat, pink tail & a few others that I cannot remember their name & Joel has 1-2 in his shop.  For a 150g I wouldn't do a hawian but 1 of the other triggers I listed.   

Puffers are also a excellent addition.  The porcupine & spiny box puffers are 2 of my favorite!  Relativly cheap with a awesome personality.  The problem with these guys, are certain fish mostly angels like picking on them :(  There are several other puffers that you can look at which angels & tangs usually do not bother.  I just picked up a Mappa puffer for my FO tank.

Pretty much any angel would work (just not with those puffers).  My favorites are the emperor & queen angel.  They both can get pretty large & might outgrow the 150g. 

wrasses are also pretty interesting.  LOTS of cool options there.

You can always add a few more tangs - Naso, yellow, purple etc

300g tub o fish

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 15:02:44 »
Thanks Gary, those are some cool options as well.  I would be hesitant to go with any other tangs.  My powder blue has decided to be a pain lately.  I would think she would pick on any other tang I would go with.  I have considered a trigger.  I love some of those fish! 

Keep the ideas coming guys.  :)

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 15:20:14 »
the powder blue will not just pick on a new tang but any fish that added! 

Something that I have done in the past is to make a divider in the tank so when I add new fish I seperate them form the other fish.  They have a week or so to become accustom to their new tank.  After they are eating for a few days I then remove the divider & usually it makes the introduction a lot less stressfull!!   

I am a tang fan thus I would throw a few more in there :)   Adding multiple tangs/fish at the the same time can make it easier on the new inhabitants.  However if your powder blue is anything like my old blue tang (now a resident at Joel's shop) there isn't anything you can do.

It is pretty interesting though.  The powder blue's are very difficult to get to do well & are ich magnets.  However once established they become terrors & should be the last fish added to the aquarium.
300g tub o fish

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 15:35:47 »
Gary, I've had my powder blue since April 2005!  I had no problem with her at all until recently.  She has decided to become the tank bully  ::)  Although she only picks on the other tangs not any other fish.  She was also the last fish added so I didn't expect to have problems from her. 

I love tangs too but due to Miss Attitude I am hesitant to add more.  I can always leave her in the 125 until I am done adding fish then plop her in the other tank.  :)

I think my system would be big enough that I could add several fish at the same time without any spike to speak of.  "If" (and that's a big "if") I would add the 150 I would have a total of around 400 gallons. 

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 16:14:40 »

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 16:15:13 »
IF....we all know its when not if

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 16:18:14 »
you could go with a specific grouping of fish related by location, ie red sea fish, or fiji island fish.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 16:28:41 »
I like those choices Matt! 

Oh yes, I forgot, the great Matt knows all.  ;)

I like that idea too Rick. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 16:34:49 by micki »

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 16:35:38 »
Rick, do you have any examples of location fish? 

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 16:46:17 »
nothing specific, most places tell you where the fish come from though.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 16:52:18 »
Ok gotcha.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 16:53:00 »
I think some schoolingfish might be cool.  There wouldn't be tons of rock in the tank since I'm nto doing coral it would be pretty spacious. 

bigfalcon36

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 17:07:32 »
Get a clown trigger and an emporer angel

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 17:17:15 »
I like those options as well. 

This is great!  O'm getting all kinds of ideas!  Now lets hope I even get a tank.  LOL

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 17:36:11 »
10 bucks says she has a new tank by March

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 17:36:28 »
I'll be sure to send "you know who" your way!! He'll love the tusk!!! LOL!!!

Offline Viggen

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 17:36:59 »
I like having a lot of rock becuase it allows the fish to swim through the passages & also hopefully gives them places to hide.  I feel this is even more important when there are agressive fish in there.... like the PB tang :)

A clown trigger is pretty awesome looking however when they get big the could kill all of your tank inhabitants.  

You could also put a hawk fish in there, the flame's are cool & have a great personality    

300g tub o fish

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 17:46:34 »
I'll be sure to send "you know who" your way!! He'll love the tusk!!! LOL!!!

LOL I thought you might know who that is...  ;)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 17:47:07 »
10 bucks says she has a new tank by March

March???  Sir, you are underestimating me!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 17:48:55 »
I like having a lot of rock becuase it allows the fish to swim through the passages & also hopefully gives them places to hide.  I feel this is even more important when there are agressive fish in there.... like the PB tang :)

A clown trigger is pretty awesome looking however when they get big the could kill all of your tank inhabitants.  

You could also put a hawk fish in there, the flame's are cool & have a great personality    

I would use the extra rock I have right now.  I'm not sure how much that is but it's a good little bit.  This tank tank won't have a top on it so I need to make sure I don't ahve jumpers.     :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 17:57:02 by micki »

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 17:56:26 »
Matt I LOVE the Humu Picasso Triggerfish!  I had looked at those a while back but forgot about them.  Very cool!  I like the coris wrasse too.  I wonder if it would be a jumper? 

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 18:08:00 »
March because it was a safe bet!  We used to have a Picasso in our bow front that was a fish only tank.  Pretty cool fish

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2006, 18:09:22 »
Are triggers jumpers?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2006, 18:21:23 »
Are triggers jumpers?

nope.....

I did have a queen angel that was a jumper.  He jumped out of the tank twice in one night due to the pinktail trigger picking on him.  The angel was 12+ in & the trigger was 8 ish in

I beleive as long as nobody is getting picked on tangs, triggersm wrasses etc are not jumpers
300g tub o fish

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2006, 18:46:35 »
I had a 6 line jump out of my 55.  There was like a 1/4 inch hole and he found it. 

Can triggers be mixed?  Picasso and niger in particular?

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2006, 19:39:20 »
I've always thought lionfish would be cool to keep.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2006, 19:44:11 »
Dave that is something I've considered as well. :)

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2006, 07:22:40 »
I've always thought lionfish would be cool to keep.

I know somebody that would like that one, too!! ;)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2006, 08:38:30 »
I know somebody that would like that one, too!! ;)

LOL LOL LOL...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2006, 08:38:58 »
So tell me, could tangs, lion fish and triggers all be kept together?  :)

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2006, 08:39:59 »
Triggers often can often be mixed if they are very different and are added together. A Odonis Niger and a humma could co - habitat (I have that exact combination in a tank at the shop right now) but with triggers, you never know what they might do. I have had triggers together for years with no issues and then one decides to be a jerk. I have a humma in with a clown right now at the shop too (not a combination likely to work)  but somehow am getting away with it. Blue jaws (throats) are always pretty peaceful, Pinktails are normally peaceful although we have a pretty aggressive one at the shop right now. Crosshatch are very laid back but are expensive.

Angels are a great addition but they vary in attitude. One of my favorites that is typically peaceful is the Navarchus, some times called the blue girdled or majestic. Same with the blue face. Emperor's and most others of the pomacanthus are a little attitudy (is that a word?) but well worth it. Queen angels are awesome and typically don't cause to much problems. Passer angels are flat out mean, need to be kept with other meanies.  I have a male Scribbled angel right now that is awesome and seems to be mild mannered (as they typically are)

Wrasses are cool too but again vary in temperament. The aforementioned Harlequin Tusk (another one of my favorites) is very peaceful, even kind of wimpy where as members of the thalasoma genus are typically mean (lunare for example) If you like the torpedo shaped body with lots of action but don't want the aggressive temperament, green bird wrasse are nice, so are male paddlefin wrasse to mention just a couple.

Lion fish are a great addition but it's sometimes hard to categorize what type of tank they belong in. They are not mean or dangerous like their undeserved reputation. They typically should be kept with larger, mild manored  "flat shaped" fish like tangs or or angels that would not be easy to swallow. Many wrasses are slender or "torpedo" shaped and a lion will sometimes gulp them down because of their easy to swallow shape. Triggers are "iffy" because they often (not always) will nip at the long, flowing fins of lion fish. Be sure to get a lion that is already eating frozen food too.

Puffers are a great addition although as mentioned before, the porcupine & spiny box get nipped at by many fish. The members of the arothron genus are a great group of fish. Some get quiet large but others, like the dog face (nigropunctatus) are very manageable. If you want one less common, the melegris (especially the gold phase male) are really cool. The Mappa that Gary (viggen) just got is awesome but it's gonna get big!!!! Narrow line puffers or stallatus puffers are cool too and don't get huge. The Stars and stripes (hispidus) might have the best personality of all the puffers but can reach 10-12" in a year or so and keep on growing to 18 to perhaps as large as 24".

Groupers can be a cool addition if your keeping fish on the more aggressive side. My favorites are the Louti & the Miniatus. They are very colorful, hardy and disease/parasite resistant. (dont keep a harlequin tusk with either of these) There are several others too that are equally desirable.

Don't forget eels. There are some very peaceful eels that are very attractive like a golden from Brazil or a Zebra Moray. Both are easy to keep and mild manored. Just give them a good hiding place and a secure lid on the tank. There are plenty of other eels available, some can be pretty nasty but several make good aquarium residents.

Well, that's what came to my mind, hope it gives you some ideas.

See ya.....

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2006, 08:46:57 »
Those are some great ideas Joel thanks!  I would love an eel but this will be an open top tank so that probably wouldn't work.  :)  I have a lot to consider (if this happens :) )  I really am leaning towards the triggers for sure.  I like the lion fish idea as well. 

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2007, 10:23:32 »
Hey Micki... first off, it sounds like a great tank.  Pls be sure and post lots of pics.  I was thinking that even if you don't want a hood over the tank, you could top it with with egg-crate inexpensively and not take away from the open tank look/feel.  This might open up your stocking options a bit.  Also, have you considered trying to make your rock or use base rock instead of the more expensive, LR alternatives?
Dayton - 45459

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2007, 11:47:21 »
Hmmm, I never thought about egg crate.  I still think wth smaller fish it wouldn't work.  My 6 line jumped out of a "tiny" hole.  The egg crate has much bigger holes, but it would work for bigger fish. Thanks!  I never thought about making my own rock.  My husband would probably love to do something liek that!  I'll look into it. :) 

Thanks for the ideas!

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2007, 11:54:02 »
I believe Scott Wilson has some practice with making rock.  Also, you might want to check out this site:  http://www.garf.org/.  They have a large "how-to" section on making argocrete. 
Dayton - 45459

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2007, 12:32:44 »
Scott did a rock making demo once but I couldn't make that meeting. I'll check both out.  Thanks!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2007, 15:17:21 »
I'm beginning to wonder about my tangs with triggers...  Done a lot of reading on wet web and it's not looking good.  Doesn anyone have any personal experience with these guys?

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2007, 19:44:07 »
my niger trigger, yellow tang and blue tang all due well together

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2007, 21:11:01 »
Hmmm, that's good to know.  I may go for a Niger for sure then.  I'm guessing the one I really want won't work out.  Picasso Trigger.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2007, 21:18:44 »
Well according to Saltwaterfish.com the pacasso is one of the lesser aggressive Triggers.  It says the clown trigger is very aggressive.  The picture of the baby clown trigger is sooo cute!

http://www.saltwaterfish.com/site_11_03/product_info.php?products_id=1618&parent_category=4&category_search=61&root_parent_id=4