2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hy-Drive Pump  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Fishfreak

• Adult
Hy-Drive Pump
« on: August 02, 2012, 16:24:29 »
Just found this interesting and wanted to share. I have had this pump a little over 6 months without any problems. And this is the first time Ive used this pump as well. Using it as a return pump in my seahorse tank. So last week I get home from work to start packing to leave on vaction and relized the tank is low. So I panic like normal lol. And notice the return pump isnt working. So I take it out and relize the impeller is completly froze inside the pump. I let it set over night and still wouldnt move. So I just called the company and there response was I needed to be cleaning the pump ever 3 weeks.....Does anyone do this or is it just me that doesnt seem right. I mean its  a pain to take the pump out let alone doing it ever 3 weeks. Just disapointed because Ive had this same problem with mag-drives and unfortunately thats what I had to replace it with. Just wanted to share my experience.

Offline Viggen

Re: Hy-Drive Pump
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 17:51:57 »
had no clue what a hy drive pump is.... is that the pondmaster pump?  Which model??

Cleaning 3 weeks sound like a faulty prduct, possibly it's not saltwater safe???  Some manufacturers state every 6 months to a year for service due to calcium buildup while other pumps are made with products that do not allow the calcium to build up.

If cleaning every 3 weeks is how they are I would get a different pump..... My opinion is MAG and Pondmaster are pumps designed to work in a pond and not in a saltwater aquarium inside a home.  Thus they can be louder then a pump designed to work inside a home.... and also require more maintenance

WaterBlaster is what I put on my last tank build..... quiet and effecient
300g tub o fish

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 18:24:13 »
I clean my power heads and pump impellers/assemblies once every month... I have a Hydor utility pump that if I don't clean it every 3-4 weeks it refuses to work...I clean it up(vinegar) wipe it dry and put water based lube on the bushings(KY) and it runs great, same with all my other pumps I use, they all look and work like new.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Fishfreak

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 22:07:06 »
Yea its a pondmaster brand pump. And its a 2100. They claim there okay for saltwater. And yea thats what I thought if it needed to be cleaned every 3 weeks that a little odd.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 22:35:27 »
I clean my hydor circulation pumps once a year and have never cleaned my return pump. It has been running for about 1.5 years. Probably due. My skimmer pumps are sicce and they are horrible. Worst pumps I have ever owned. Good to know on the Hy-Drive.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 22:41:45 »
My eheim pump is +\- 20 years old.  Ran 24/7 for the first 10-15 years..... Now just a circulation pump for water changes.  Never been cleaned.... There are numerous pumps that never need cleaned

300g tub o fish

Offline Fishfreak

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 22:48:44 »
Thanks for not making me feel stupid! lol Thought it didnt sound right.