2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: nitrate absorbers  (Read 2083 times)

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
nitrate absorbers
« on: June 25, 2013, 08:41:37 »
does anybody have any (good or bad) experience with any of these, like "Kent Nitrate Sponge" or any of those? I have a 54 gallon tank with a wet/dry trickle filter and my ammonia and nitrites are always near or at zero but my nitrates are sky high...it's a FO tank and it doesn't seem to bother them at all but I thought if it would help I might pick up one of these...

thanx,
shep

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: nitrate absorbers
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 11:57:14 »
I don't have any experience with the nitrate sponge but wanted to give another cost effective option. Carbon dosing using vodka would work well in FO tank with bio balls. If you have the time check it out by googling carbon dosing,

Offline Shep

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 16:18:38 »
thanx Lazy, I will look into that...always have a bottle of blue label Smirnoff under the bar  :be happy:

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 16:55:27 »
Water change?

I found it to more cost effective just doing changes to keep nitrates down.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 18:09:29 by cbenner »

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 18:40:24 »
I don't have any experience with the nitrate sponge but wanted to give another cost effective option. Carbon dosing using vodka would work well in FO tank with bio balls. If you have the time check it out by googling carbon dosing,

I could never do the vodka dosing. Can't never see straight after I dose myself with to much vodka.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 06:51:24 »
I could never do the vodka dosing. Can't never see straight after I dose myself with to much vodka.

Lol vodka does the same to me. 🍸