2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Perfect Storm Tank Build  (Read 14240 times)

Offline wrassel

• Fry
Re: Perfect Storm Tank Build
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 18:16:24 »
Looking good. Looking forward to seeing it with all rocks and coral. I'm sure your happy to be getting it wrapped up.

Offline chevydoc

• Juvenile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 19:51:31 »
Lookin good steve. I cant wait to be done with mine either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 21:20:29 »
Looking good Steve,but scrape that back son. I can't believe how large that Goni has gotten.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 21:31:44 »

You need to scrape that back of tank son.

Not gonna happen! lol

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 22:42:53 »
Lookin good Steve!!
John

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 01:28:47 »
My new dosing pumps.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 01:29:58 »
The Beast. Thanks again Jeremy.

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 07:23:13 »
Skimmer looks great in there. Those skimmers are the bomb :-)

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 19:33:20 »
Really frustrated right now with my whole set up and reef keeping in general. I have had 4 wrasses die in quarantine, I have a skimmer that skims like a beast, but if I look at it the wrong way it overflows or I have to adjust the flow. The lights I purchased for the 180 simply aren't enough, I forgot to check my Mag and it was low and to top it off my central air went out and my tank got quite warm for a week or so and it really stressed a lot of my corals. Not really willing or able to sink any more cash for fish or lights  or chiller and am just not enjoying my tank right now. Just needed to dump!

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 21:23:23 »
Sorry to hear this Steve. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 00:44:12 »
Sorry Steve. It is no fun when things go wrong. Hope things turn around for you

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 13:57:42 »
Really frustrated right now with my whole set up and reef keeping in general. I have had 4 wrasses die in quarantine, I have a skimmer that skims like a beast, but if I look at it the wrong way it overflows or I have to adjust the flow. The lights I purchased for the 180 simply aren't enough, I forgot to check my Mag and it was low and to top it off my central air went out and my tank got quite warm for a week or so and it really stressed a lot of my corals. Not really willing or able to sink any more cash for fish or lights  or chiller and am just not enjoying my tank right now. Just needed to dump!

An idea for if your A/C goes out again.... Put some ice in a sealed bag in your return chamber for your sump, it should help keep the tank cool.  I know Brian has a nice heat sealer and would probably be willing to make you some ice packs.  As for lighting for the 180, its tough.  Most manufacturers don't really cater towards a 2' deep (front to back) tank, so you almost have to get double the number of lights that you would normally get.  Hang in there, it will only get better.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2015, 11:23:47 »
I've never seen a skimmer that didn't overflow at some point.  You might try to raise the skimmer in the sump a little bit.  I have found that most skimmer manufactures overstate how much water the skimmer should be sitting.   I think they do it, because it's always easy to raise the skimmer a little bit, kinda hard to make it deeper

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 23:10:21 »
We have a club chiller for when AC goes out. If you still have AC issues your welcome to pick it up.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 01:13:09 »
Forgot all about that. Thank goodness, though it took a while, the air is fixed. Tank temp has stabilized and most of the corals are starting to look better. One thing out of the way. Now if the club had nice 48 inch LED I would be in!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 19:23:24 »
Hang in there, it will only get better.

Treated my tank with chemiclean because I was having some cyano and assorted bad algae issues. Used as directed, even did a larger than recommended water change. The tank looks great, my corals look great, except for my acros. All have lost color, bad. Some are STN/RTN'ing and have basically croaked. I am about as frustrated as I have ever been doing this hobby. Seriously looking at a change.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 19:30:26 by Steve »

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2015, 19:43:42 »
Just curious what brand you are using for salt?   

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2015, 20:15:49 »
Just curious what brand you are using for salt?   

Reef Crystals

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 22:33:18 »
Nothing solid, but there are a few of us local SPS guys having Tissue loss on tips, STN and browning corals.   So far the common thread is Reef Crystals.

Some SPS has shown very little affect, others have slowly been wiped out.  LPS is not affected.   The more water changes I did to try to remove what was in the tank causing the problem.....the issue with the coral has got much worse.   This problem for me started when I moved to Reef Crystals, the issue just started off so small, I thought it was just a touchy coral in to much light.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2015, 22:44:39 »
Interesting. My corals were doing pretty well, actually looking better than they had for a while. This was sudden and extreme. Seems to me as if the chemiclean had a dramatic effect on the SPS. I thought at first it might have been from excess bubbles because of the skimmer, but it has also happened to my corals in the frag tank and there really weren't many micro bubbles reaching the frag tank.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2015, 22:55:16 »
I've not seen chemiclean cause a problem with SPS.  If the microbubbles weren't causing the SPS to slime, then it was probably just fine.   

The salt is just a theory at this point.   I'm changing just to rule it out.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 13:37:56 »
Just happened to notice this morning the thermometer on my tank was reading 84 degrees. Sure enough one of my heaters thermostat was stuck. Hallelujah anyhow!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2015, 02:49:34 »
Seems like things are starting to settle down. I ended up losing 2 acros 1 which I doubt I will be able to replace. It was a millie I had bought at a LFS years ago as a browned out frag. I lost my original colony and was able to get a piece back from Jeff at Marine Solutions, but it looked way different with really nice multiple colors. I have spread some around but it seems that everyone I sold or gave a piece has lost theirs also, bummer. If there is someone in the club that has a piece that I have forgotten about I would love to have a frag, special coral (to me anyway). Several have sustained some tissue loss, but this seems to have stopped also. Most of the acros in the DT (LED's) are coloring up a lot faster than the corals in my frag tank (MH), not sure why but thought I would note it.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 22:25:28 »
Haven't posted here in a while, but the storm continues. SPS issues continuing, to the point that I am considering buying a few more anemones and seeing how many clowns I can pack in a 180. The rest of the tank is doing well. I have to admit that this has been a very challenging time for me as a reef keeper, seems to have taken a lot of the fun out of it. 

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2016, 07:00:19 »
Keep your chin up Steve. Your right,  it does take the fun out of it. I've had phosphates issues in the past. Now Nitrates are on the rise.