2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: tritan test results?  (Read 2026 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
tritan test results?
« on: September 13, 2016, 20:32:46 »
I got my triton water test results back today and the only thing that was in the red was high lithium and tin.  How do I lower these levels?  Large water changes, poly filters?  The tin levels were really high.  Recommended level is at 0 and my tank has levels of 2.11ug/l.  My corals havent been very happy of late and possibly this is why.
thanks
Jeff

Offline Steve

• Adult
Re: tritan test results?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2016, 21:35:10 »
I really like using the poly filters, but for removing large quantities of pollutants I am a fan of the large water changes. Saved my tank for sure. The solution for pollution is dilution.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2016, 22:02:35 »
Lithium is coming in from our salt mix. They tested fresh made saltmix and posted on R2R and found lithium was coming from that. Apparently it is a problem with all US synthetic salts. I guess they all pretty much source the materials from the same mines which has it. Apparently it doesn't  cause any issue in our reefs like aluminum does. not sure about tin.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2016, 07:08:13 »
Read about cases where tin can result from condensation on metal that then drips into the tan (perhaps from lights for example), or some other metal component in the flow/maintenance stream--  anything rusty particularly a contributor.