2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Moving some shrooms  (Read 3159 times)

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
Moving some shrooms
« on: April 23, 2008, 23:05:53 »
I have never fraged anything or manually moved a thing but!! There are some really nice mushrooms i have on the big rock i am getting rid of, and would like to take them off and put them in my nano cube.

i know it's not technically fragging them, but how can i transfer them to another rock?

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: Moving some shrooms
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 07:07:00 »
If you have time, place a piece of rock against the mushrooms. Sometimes you can get them to start growing on the rock that way.

Another option is to cut them off and then attach them to a new rock using a rubber band or fine mesh until they attach themselves.

You could try super glue gel, but mushrooms usually get pretty slimy.

mrs. justcoral

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 08:21:17 »
Just get a chisel and scrap them off the rock, taking some rock with them. Then you can glue the attached rock onto the new rock.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 16:18:17 »
I just read an article about chiseling them and think thats the easiest way to go. If i put the super glue on the chip the mushroom is attached too, will it cure underwater or should i get a special type of glue?

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 16:35:36 »
i have always used super glue i take both rocks out dry them the best i can in the fastest time i can then squeeze some super glue on the rock put the other on top and let it sit for twenty seconds and i like to blow on it to try and make the glue dry faster although it probably doesnt help
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 17:27:03 »
You'll want to use a cyanoacrylate based super glue.  This is commonly sold as Super Glue Gel.  A lot of people on here use the Loctite brand, but I use the Big Lots Special.   :D

Cyanoacrylate is a moisture-curing glue.  It requires moisture to cure, and will generally cure faster under water than in air.  It also is an exothermic glue, meaning it will generate heat as it cures.  In other words, don't dry the coral/rock completely, stick a smudge of glue on it, put it immediately back in the water, and then hold the coral in place for a few seconds for the glue to cure.  The water will conduct and convect the heat away from the coral.

And that, my friend, is your lesson on superglue.   ;D

As for transferring the mushroom, I'd chisel off the mushroom with a small part of the rock.  It makes gluing the mushroom down to its permanent home a WHOLE lot easier.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 18:16:50 »
I never knew super glue could be so informing.

As long as it has cyanoacrylate I'll be fine?