2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: vodka dosing  (Read 8495 times)

Offline aquavista99

Re: vodka dosing
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2009, 16:51:48 »
Tim,

Be careful with the VSV/Biodigest. You already have an ultra clean system and VSV will just increase that. Usually you have to start feeding heavily at some point. Corals can only handle so much clean water or the will bleach.

http://glassbox-design.com/2008/vsv-total-organic-carbon-in-the-reef-aquarium/

http://glassbox-design.com/2008/the-vsv-method-faq/
Joe

Thanks for the tips and links, Joe. My only issue is with bubble algae. I had a lot of it in my previous tank. Like SPS, Bubble algae seems to love 400 watt halides, lots of flow and super clean water. In other words, it absolutely thrives in my environment.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 16:56:53 by aquavista99 »

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2009, 16:56:01 »
Tim,

I agree with Joe.  You run a very clean system to begin with so just be very careful and start slowly.  You will also have a hard time determining when you are at a Ultra Low Nutrient System level without glass.  The glass will remain clean for up to 10 days without needing cleaned in a ULNS system.  If you're treating your rubbermaid tub, it will be hard to determine when to cut the dosing back to maintainence levels.   It will work on the bubble aglae.

Joe posted the main links.  Another good link:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1449361&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Thanks, Scott! I will be moving the corals into my new starphire tank this week. I am turning the 300 gallon Rubbermaid tub over to Slandis3 on Friday so he can get ready for his new tank as well. Again, thanks for the tips and link.

Offline verper

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2009, 16:57:56 »
No problem Tim.  Might as well sign up for a meeting while your online.  What month do you want?   ;D

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2009, 17:01:42 »
No problem Tim.  Might as well sign up for a meeting while your online.  What month do you want?   ;D

Not sure yet. I would like the new tank to get established before displaying it to the club  ;)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2009, 08:13:04 »
So those of you doing the VSV meathod...how are your tanks doing?  Do you all have a fuge and if so, does this effect your cheato and or macro algae growth?  I really would like to see my coral color up more and I'm guessing (yes I need to get new test kits) it's in part due to PO4 and NO3.  I run phosban 24/7.  I just used the last of it and am trying to decide if I want to get more or try something different...

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2009, 09:39:27 »
I think for the most part doing vsv removes the need for macro algea and GFO.  But I know some still run.

I have been using the Prodbio  (Digest and Bioptim)  It has been working, so I'm a bit nervous go switch from the Bioptim to the cheaper VSV.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #56 on: June 01, 2009, 19:15:51 »
Really good article on Melevs Reef about Vodka dosing. He shares how he does it and it does take a long time. Then you have to do maintenance afterwards. Great info on this way of ridding phos and nitrate from the tank.
Chromiumlux

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2009, 12:11:05 »
Thanks, I'll have to check that article out.  I think I've looked at it before but it's been a while.  Marc helped me quite a bit when I set up my 125 reef.  

Offline its fry

• Fry
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2009, 15:30:50 »
I think Joel does beer dosing :laugh:

ahahahah

I'm watching this thread. This is the first I've heard of this.
Does the proof matter?  ;)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2009, 12:16:17 »
Going to bring this thread back up.

I've been running my system using ProdBio (BioDigest/Boptim)  I have liked this sytem because dosing is only required every 15 days.  I have 0 NO3 and 0 PO4 using std test kits, been that way for close to a year.  But the various strains of bubble algea in my tank are flat driving me crazy.   I cannot pick them fast enough.   I do get some Diatoms outbreaks too, but mainly after spoiling my Copperband with a good batch of brine shrimp.   I do also have a DSB in my tank

So I'm going to start tinkering with VSV.  I know everyone's system is different, but for those doing VSV, what ration of VSV are you using?   Or who is just doing Vodka?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2009, 12:40:31 »
I have 0 NO3 and 0 PO4 using std test kits, been that way for close to a year. 

If your ever in the area your welcome to bring a water sample by and I can test your levels with my Hanna Photometer.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2009, 21:10:28 »
I have used sugar, and I know guys are going to think I am crazy. This was one my 29G with 20G sump. The sand bed in my Display was 3", sump was 5" or so. NA:0, NI:0, A:0, PO, 2-5PPM (!!!). The PO3/4 levels I attribute to tap water I used in the beginning. Now I use RO water only.

So I tryed it. After the MAJOR HUGE bloom, all zeros, except my phosphates were at .5PPM and steady. I did lose a Clown, and Chromis. When it bloomed, it looked like semen, no joke. It was bad! But after wards, all was well in my tank. It took a week or so to clear up.

.5 May seem high to you guys. But Organic PO are required for life, and new growth of EVERYTHING.

I still have some hair algae growing, and thats fine. Its a good food source for my blenny, and probably a tang or two.

Bottom line is, it works. Its crazy I know. But it does work, and the algae is under control now. It took a major shock to my system to get it under wraps. And it does create a "monobloom" which will work its way out in the end.

I never told anyone I did this. Because people think its crazy. But chemically, and biologically its sound. It works, and it makes sense. I don't think you should try it. Unless you understand the chemistry, and know your system. In most cases its not needed. But if you fall into that group, who has a build up, thats not controllable. Well then, thats up to you. In my case, it worked, and very well to bring things into line.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 21:14:41 by TechGuy40 »

Reefd Up

« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2009, 22:18:44 »
There are many people on here dosing something similar (vodka, sugar, vinegar, or a combo...and some others).  I dose sugar and amino acids.  Been doing that for quite a while. 

I'm wondering how much you dosed though...it's supposed to be a VERY slow ramp-up of the dosing.  An algae bloom shouldn't happen so quickly, you shouldn't lose anything (except Montipora corals...they seem to have trouble with it), and a tank shouldn't look like...well..yeah. 

Phosphates detectable at 0.5 is still a bit high, depending on what you're keeping.  I would try to get it to 0.03.  Yes, PO is required, but at 0.5, it may hamper more than help.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2009, 08:53:44 »
I'm running a reactor now, in a much larger tank. The dosing, well I accidently dosed way to much in my top off water. Serves me right for mixing a few days worth at once :P

Reefd Up

« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2009, 17:25:52 »
Ah, that's right, I remember you saying that now (sorry.)  :) 

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2009, 20:37:18 »
Ah, that's right, I remember you saying that now (sorry.)  :) 

Yeah, when dosing Vodka, stay out of the Vodka. It can give you a tendency to overdose, or forget you dosed.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2009, 08:31:29 »
I'm about 2 months into this, I'm doseing about 6ml of VSV daily.   My bubble algea growth has slowed significantly, and th diatoms on the sand bed are going away too.

The skimmer is generating very thick foam, the foam doesn't really want to break down back into a liquid.  This just pushes the foam out the top of the collection cup.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2009, 11:53:28 »
Ok, so when I get home from Florida next month, I'm thinking about trying this...Any big do's or don'ts tips anyone has to offer?