2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Auto repair question....  (Read 449 times)

Offline rmstevensiii

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Auto repair question....
« on: December 01, 2008, 12:21:32 »
Alright...

I know that we have a few auto enthusiasts hanging around, and I have a question that you may be able to help out with. 

I have an '85 S10 with a mild 305 which has/had been sitting and not started since '01.  I purchased this thing in '97, no motor and no tranny, and built it into a pretty fun little street toy.  It was my daily driver from '97 -> 2001.  Over the wknd, I decided to pull it out, dust it off, and start working on getting it ready to sell in the spring.  I replaced the battery and starter, primed the oil pump, set the initial timing, added some fuel (all that was in the tank had evaporated), changed the fuel filter, pulled out a can of starting fluid, and got it fired up.  I'm thinking to myself... not bad after sitting outside for that many years!  The motor ran OK... oil pressure was good, and it came up to normal operating temp as expected, however there was a stumble in the idle, and if I drop the idle speed from fast (approx. 1200 RPM) to std curb idle (approx. 800 RPM) the motor will stall.  Since I was not planning to park the truck for 7 yrs, I didn't prep it for extended storage by removing or treating the gas in the tank, so I'm assuming that the stumble was caused by dirt/debris/sediment from the bad gas in the carb.  I pulled and rebuilt the top half of the carb (Edelbrock Performer series), cleaning the floats and float bowls, replacing or cleaning the the needles and replacing the gaskets.  Now she won't fire.  In fact, she is spitting back fuel/carb cleaner thru the jets!    Using my compressor and a needle, I was able to blow most of the carb cleaner out of the passages in the carb, but since I did not remove the lower half of the carb, I'm assuming that I got a bit more carb cleaner into the intake than expected.

My questions....

Will this carb cleaner evap out on it's own?
If not, is there something that I should do to dilute this within the intake/combustion chambers?
Can/will this cause any permanent damage to the rings, bearings, gaskets?

Any and all suggestions appreciated!

Thanks in advance....

Mitch
Dayton - 45459

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Auto repair question....
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 22:40:54 »
I would think it would evaporate Mitch. You should be able to spray starting fluid down its throat to get it going, unless something is still not right with the carb. As far as the carb cleaner I don't think there is any danger to the rings in your motor. There probably isn't enough in there to do anything.

Kaylyn

Re: Auto repair question....
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 22:55:09 »
The carb cleaner should evaporate just fine. What I woudl be more concerned with is any debris that it happened to loosen up which clogged up the system