2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Periwinkle snails?  (Read 5339 times)

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
Periwinkle snails?
« on: July 07, 2009, 03:42:52 »
Has anyone ever used these? I seen an auction on ebay that sells 50 for 17.00 free shipping. From reading the auctions information on these guys they are super hardy.

Offline jeblin

• Adult
Re: Periwinkle snails?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 07:52:26 »
I haven't heard much about them, but I'm willing to try if you want to get a larger order from them. From looking at their other auctions, 100 is $20 and 150 is $23 if more wanted to get in. The seller also has Ilyanassa Obsoleta for sale too.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 11:21:28 »
If they dont do well you can always have Chinese Periwinkle Soup   ;D

http://tastesofhome.blogspot.com/2009/05/chinese-periwinkle-snail-soup-recipe.html

Check this out http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/334849/periwinkle_snails_harming_louisiana_marshes/

I dont think these are good for reef tanks. They have teeth called radula. Reference http://www.marinebio.net/marinescience/03ecology/tpspl.htm

This radula is common to many molluscs and is similar to a mini chainsaw - having rows and rows of sharp, hooked teeth for scraping. In fact, they are so efficient that they wear away the rock in some areas, deepening the high intertidal pools. You can imagine that the teeth get pretty dull quickly. This is no problem for a mollusc that continues to produce new rows of radular teeth its entire life - dropping off the old dull ones at the end of the radula. Periwinkles can replace up to seven rows of teeth a day.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 11:27:02 by Lazylivin »

Reefd Up

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009, 22:40:34 »
Brian - not quite what you were saying about the teeth, snails, & reef tanks.  As far as I'm aware, all snails have radula.  Chitons and nerites have some of the strongest (similiar to urchins as well...but urchins just have soft teeth with an amazing smart design.)  Yes, they can wear away the rock, but usually it's only to make a home to nest in (same with chitons, limpets, and boring urchins).  They'll usually return to that place frequently if not stay there most of time (except leaving to get food.) 

Algae-grazing snails are not a threat to reef tanks just b/c they have radula (not sure if that was what you were saying...but anyway.)  They will usually only graze a few feet away from their "home"...and are only looking for algae...not just anything that is in their path.  Strong radula are mostly found in (inter)tidal creatures since they usually have to make holes in rock to keep from being washed away.  This can be a nuisance sign in some snails as strong radula usually means (inter)tidal, which usually means the snail will sit at the top of your tank...probably fall over onto the floor...and die. 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009, 23:53:24 »
The quote from the website made it sound as if it they were pretty crazy,  >:D. I have no experience with them so could be great for the tank. My new favorite clean up crew are the ones I got from Aquavista. Hawaii Strombus maculatus snails . They do a great job, are small, cheap and reproduce!

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009, 23:57:02 »
 ;D

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 00:23:15 »
Wow Brian, if you ever have an over abundance of those Hawaiin snails let me know. I would like to try some. Thanks for all the info people. I was shocked to see a big lot of snails for such a cheap price, and free shipping.

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 03:19:22 »
I second the hawaiian snails brian! need to add to my clean up crew as well... ;)
Erin

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2009, 21:18:38 »
The quote from the website made it sound as if it they were pretty crazy,  >:D. I have no experience with them so could be great for the tank. My new favorite clean up crew are the ones I got from Aquavista. Hawaii Strombus maculatus snails . They do a great job, are small, cheap and reproduce!

Got a dozen about 2 years ago from IPSF see them here http://www.ipsf.com/reeftanktuneup.html.  The reproduce like made, so far plenty fast enough to stay ahead of the die off rate.

Edit: Speaking of reproducing, I just looked in my frag tank, there must be at least a hundred of these about the size of a pin head.  I guess my 6 line wrasse or peppermint shrimp must have been pruning most of the population in the display tank.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 21:29:30 by Wall_Tank »

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2009, 22:43:11 »
Wall-Tank; So would to recommend them? Might be worth the $20 or so for a ton of them.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 22:54:37 »
Check out Aquavista's listings on fragswapper. He only has 4 sets of 20 left.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2009, 23:34:56 »
Thanks for the plug, Brian. I can bring my  Hawiian Strombus maculatus snails to the swap if you pre-order them on fragswapper or send me a PM with an order request. I have been raising these reef safe snails in my SPS tank since 2006 (from Indo-Pacific Sea Farms). Hawaiian Strombus grazers stay small and never exceed about 1/2 inch in length. Great algae eaters and may breed in your tank. 20 snails for $10.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2009, 20:32:36 »
We'll see how many grow up.  I might end up with a good supply like Aquavista.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2009, 21:18:47 »
I have a lot of them....they reproduce in my reef daily. It takes about 3 weeks for the eggs to hatch into small snails. Hawiian Strombus maculatus snails  feed on glass, rocks and sand.  If anyone would like more than 20 for the swap, just let me know. For example: 50 for $20 or 100 for $35. Best of all, these snails  come from my disease free reef. I QT everything.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 14:14:00 »
I have a lot of them....they reproduce in my reef daily. It takes about 3 weeks for the eggs to hatch into small snails. Hawiian Strombus maculatus snails  feed on glass, rocks and sand.  If anyone would like more than 20 for the swap, just let me know. For example: 50 for $20 or 100 for $35. Best of all, these snails  come from my disease free reef. I QT everything.

Aquavista; I would like 50/$20 of those snails.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!