2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Where to add Kalk  (Read 2531 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Where to add Kalk
« on: October 25, 2009, 19:21:30 »
So i was cleaning my return pump and it was just a giant mass of calcified cheato.  like a big bone sponge  ::)

this is my sump setup

input--->skimmer--->chaeto-->return 

I the output of my kalk reactor goes into the return section.  my return pump is only 500 gph so i have really low flow in my sump.  Where should the kalk go?

75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

slandis3

Re: Where to add Kalk
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 19:25:29 »
mine is added between the cheato and return. But my return pump has about 1800gph so I'm probably no help  :D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 20:23:43 »
Wes I had that happen when I was dosing Kalk as well, even had sand in the corners of the refugium calcify or anywhere there was low flow. I was able to minimize it by adding the smallest maxi-jet to the bottom of the sump which keep the water circulating a small amount. For some reason 2 part does not cause that and have been able to remove the maxijet. Not sure why but could have something to do with the super saturation charterstics that comes with Kalk usage.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 20:56:24 »
I add my kalk where the overflow spills into the sump. There is lots of flow there.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 21:02:37 »
i add mine in the main tank where there is the most flow
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 21:15:30 »
I add my kalk where the overflow spills into the sump. There is lots of flow there.

i have a filter sock, and that baffel is pretty high, so its pretty low flow

i add mine in the main tank where there is the most flow

with the reactor I cant really pump it up to the tank.

Wes I had that happen when I was dosing Kalk as well, even had sand in the corners of the refugium calcify or anywhere there was low flow. I was able to minimize it by adding the smallest maxi-jet to the bottom of the sump which keep the water circulating a small amount. For some reason 2 part does not cause that and have been able to remove the maxijet. Not sure why but could have something to do with the super saturation charterstics that comes with Kalk usage.

humm.. sounds like a good idea. but i'd hate to waste another handful of watts 24/7.  this is why i need to finish the controller, i could just have that pump run for 5 min before and after the topoff....
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz