2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Need a QT Tank  (Read 3105 times)

JP2006

Need a QT Tank
« on: January 04, 2010, 23:43:26 »
I have a coppeband that needs some antibiotics pretty quick. Does anyone have a established QT that could help me treat this guy for a few weeks? I will pay for the time involved, I just want to try to save this guy, and my QT is new, and too small.

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Need a QT Tank
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:40:58 »
What size QT are you looking for?  I have nothing to offer right now, but it might help to give others an idea of what you need.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 10:34:12 »
JP, My tank treatment tank is only a 10g but UR welcome to borrow it. Or anything else I have that you might need. I have some treatment stuff for ick and maybe some kind of antibiotic. What are the symptoms with the fish?
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

JP2006

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 12:56:48 »
Thanks, it is an australian copperband that was healthy in the fish store, and did well in my tank for about a month, however he has started to get cloudy eyes, and loose a little color. I noticed about 4 days ago he is not eating. I am guessing he cant see to eat? Water tests fine, it is a 200 gallon system that has been up 2 years, and everything else seems fine.

To be honest, I am still trying to research how to best treat him. Rich at Coral Ranch suggested an antibotic which I may try as long as I can catch him.

I can try to take a picture if that would help, I just fear his days are numbered, and would like to get him in a stable enviroment soon. I also fear the stress of movement or a new tank may put him over the edge...  I have tried garlic soaked food with no luck as well. He will swim right into the cloud of food, but not eat.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 18:34:32 »
if he is easly to catch u could try a fresh watter dip sometimes it does help  but not allways
SIZE DOES MATTER

JP2006

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 20:37:20 »
If his eyes are cloudy will the freshwater dip clear it up, or will I need to treat with an anitbiotic as well? Also how much stress is that on them? What time span do you lower the salinity over?

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 21:03:27 »
If you are gonna freshwater dip you will use straight fresh water. Usually you with leave them in for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. I had a pair of clowns I had to dip twice, but it cured the problem.

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 21:09:03 »
In my opinion, ( and it's just my opinion), freshwater dips are hard on fish and cause more harm than good. I would set up a quarantine tank (minimum a 20 long), and use water out of your tank because there wouldn't be an acclimation time since he is already usd to that water. Then use fresh made water for your water changes. Is there any signs of redness? Does it spend alot of time just sitting on the bottom of the tank? Is the cloudiness on the eyes from a slime coat build up (you may have to look really close)?
I would start treating it as a bacterial infection. There are 2 different medicines that you could try. Melafix or Maracyn-Two. Here is a link for each so you can read and see which one you want to try.
Maracyn-Two: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4842
Melafix: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11269

Also here is a good site that has information about several different diseases of fish.
http://thegab.org/Illness-and-Treatment/what-is-wrong-with-my-fish.html#ColorLoss

If you need a quarantine tank, I have a 20 long here that you could use, I just don't have any way to get it to Dayton. I live in Urbana.
Just let me know.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 21:20:44 »
When done correctly they are very effective, and the fish come out of it just fine.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 21:31:42 »

I can try to take a picture if that would help, I just fear his days are numbered, and would like to get him in a stable enviroment soon. I also fear the stress of movement or a new tank may put him over the edge...  I have tried garlic soaked food with no luck as well. He will swim right into the cloud of food, but not eat.

A pic would help. What are you trying to feed him? Keep track of the days he has not eaten. And your probably rite about the stress of moving him.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 21:42:40 »
If you really want to borrow one, i have a 20H and a 20L you can borrow. i have a small powerhead also, but you'll need a heater and a filter.

I have both a aquaclear and sponge filter siting in my sump, but neither are "on" (have any waterflowing through them)

75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 22:56:27 »
fresh watter diping is rough on a fish but if the fish has paristis than he is most likely not happy anyway and if dont in a clear contaner you can see them fall off
SIZE DOES MATTER