2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Precipitation in Salt Mixing bucket  (Read 3436 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
Precipitation in Salt Mixing bucket
« on: August 13, 2010, 17:37:20 »
2 SeaChem

not to try to make you change your mind, but...

I haven't had good luck with seachem. It never dissolves fully for me, the water is cloudy for 2+ hours, then it settles and leaves a deposit on the bottom of the bucket.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 21:00:38 by Lazylivin »

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
Precipitation in Salt Mixing bucket
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 17:44:34 »

I haven't had good luck with seachem. It never dissolves fully for me, the water is cloudy for 2+ hours, then it settles and leaves a deposit on the bottom of the bucket.

I have the same with coral pro. I just use a pump and tubing to mix with a air pump to bubble the water for a couple few hours and then I'm ok.
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Precipitation in Salt Mixing bucket
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 21:01:25 »
Hope you don't mind I split this topic out from the Group buy because thought it would be good discussion

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 21:06:09 »
Due to the amount of Magnesium and Calcium in quality reef salt it typically takes longer to dissolve and precipitates easily. Instant Ocean for example has much less and will dissolve almost instantly and rarely will any precipitation occur.

To help combat with reef grade mixes, really good water movement and slowly pouring in the salt will result in a much cleaner mix.

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 21:15:35 »
Due to the amount of Magnesium and Calcium in quality reef salt it typically takes longer to dissolve and precipitates easily. Instant Ocean for example has much less and will dissolve almost instantly and rarely will any precipitation occur.

To help combat with reef grade mixes, really good water movement and slowly pouring in the salt will result in a much cleaner mix.

+1 and well said
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 21:35:52 »
very nice brian
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 21:49:30 »

How it desolves is really not an inication of quality.  But I have a real good mixing tub.  Runs with a big Iwaki pump.  So I'm not concerned.

I am a user of Rscp, and I'm having a problem with my tank.  Poor polyp extension, degrading sps health, after checking and checking things, I changed to a diff bucket of Rscp,  thing took a quick turn for the good. 

I talked to a few others, and others have had the same problem with RSCP.   So I'm going to try SeaChem.   Other than mixing,  people really like that salt.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 21:58:52 »
I wonder if they have had isolated issues and it is the reason for the recent "Re-Formulation"

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 02:59:35 »

No doubt!  Though I will complain on the mixing time... I have no problem running a mix a day or two ahead of time to make sure it is good and saturated and know the levels before I add to the tank.

As for Wall Tank's mixing setup.  Can I get one?!  ;D  I want to make one similar to what he has.  It looked awesome when I saw it!  Just like what I am wanting to put together.
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 10:33:50 »
If you guys are aerating your salt mix for 24 hours prior to use, the way it mixes shouldn't be a concern :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 10:40:48 »
i mix in a trash can for about 24 30 hours with a mag drive 7 never had a problem after i started doing it this way
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 23:54:17 »
well, I started using the RSCP, and I still cant get it to be completely clear. I ran two 5g buckets with two mj1200s in each for 48 hours. The WC clouded the tank for an hour or so. However, I have been seeing some great PE on the meteor shower coral that I was able to bring back from near death.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2010, 00:02:50 »
u could have some off balance in ur tank when u mix
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2010, 00:13:24 »
it never clears when in a bucket of fresh ro/di water... it clears when it gets in the tank.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 00:16:43 »
I make 35 gallons at a time for water change, airate 24 hours, then add salt very slowly mixing with mag 5 within an hour its clear and ready to go, no cloud to the water at all. had very good luck with rscp, on the other hand ive had numerous problem with Seachem Reef, JMO but rscp is much better over all, there again JMO

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 03:09:01 »
I use rscp. For my 75 I mix 5 gal at a time. I run it with an OLD power head. I do that for 5 to 24 hours, depends on how long ahead I plan. It will disolve within an hour or so, but I let it blend a bit.

Rscp is awesome except for the long dissolve time, that is if you compare it to IO. IMHO
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Tom83

• Juvenile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 09:19:39 »
I been having some problems using seachem reefsalt too much calcium,magnessium, phosphate and low on alk, and pH. i still have one left seat in corner just bought two bucket rscp from group buy.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2010, 10:50:52 »
it never clears when in a bucket of fresh ro/di water... it clears when it gets in the tank.
if it clears in the tank should be ok   have u tested the new salt and see if its off on anything
SIZE DOES MATTER