2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Perfect Storm Tank Build  (Read 14193 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Perfect Storm Tank Build
« on: October 22, 2014, 21:26:26 »
Well, I have had my old tank down for about 5 weeks now and I think the title speaks for its self. All the craziness that I was experiencing with my old tank and the tear down has rolled over into the new system. While moving my frag tank I cracked it so I have to get a new frag tank. Ballast burnt out of T5 unit I am using and then while I was hooking up my LED hanging kit, one of the holders stripped out. Glad it was a test run and didn't fall in the tank. Last but not least and I could use some help here, I turned the lights on last night (tank is empty), when I noticed I could see light between the tank and the stand. It is not a lot of space, but the only place I could not see light is on each end. The sides are fine and I am going to check across the back tonight. The tank was set up on this stand before and the guy never had any issues, just wondering if over time it could be a problem. I don't know exactly how much space it is, I tried to use a wood shim just to check and in most places it will barely go in, just the extreme tip. Still got me kinda freakin out. Any advice is appreciated.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
Re: Perfect Storm Tank Build
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 22:20:06 »
I'd use a 4' level, or any other known straight edge, and lay it on the stand. That way you can see if the stand has sagged a little in the middle. If it has, I'd try shimming at floor level.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 22:34:55 »
Can't shim at floor level, the stand has no cross beam in the front

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 19:41:13 »
Can you take a Picture of the stand showing the support.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 20:37:49 »
Can you take a Picture of the stand showing the support.

Will try and do that tonight.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 13:50:52 »
Here are a few pics. To the best of my knowledge the widest space is between 1/32 and 1/16 of an inch. The ends all seem to be pretty flush and again this tank was up on this stand for well over a year. I was just concerned about long term integrity of the seals in the tank.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 18:06:37 »
A 180 withou a center brace is risky in my opinion.   But without adding a bottom frame to the stand, there is not much you can do.   What are you going to put the sump on?   Why not add a bottom frame and put the sump on that, and then add a brace to the main tank stand.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2014, 19:05:07 »
I have thought about adding a center brace but I don't really have any tools or place to work on it. I am going to sit the sump on the floor, probably put some rubber or thick plastic under it to keep salt creep off the carpet. Also not sure if I add a center brace if I will be able to get the sump in and out if I need to.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2014, 19:06:48 »
I have a removable center brace, if I need to remove the sump

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2014, 19:12:43 »
Not sure how to do that, but I can learn as well as the next guy.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 20:11:33 »
Steve, in your build, use a Kreg jig and pocket screws.  Bulletproof construction and you can add a removable center brace.  Not meaning any offense, but that stand is a little scary.  I'm thinking about racking of the stand under weight because there is only bracing of the ends at the rear of the tank.

Regarding the sag in the center span, set the tank on 1/2" EPP insulation batts.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 18:17:56 »
Not meaning any offense, but that stand is a little scary.  I'm thinking about racking of the stand under weight because there is only bracing of the ends at the rear of the tank.

Regarding the sag in the center span, set the tank on 1/2" EPP insulation batts.

No offense taken. Upon further review this stand has a lot of flaws. I guess when I bought it I saw the tank on it and it seemed sturdy. Honestly more interested in the tank and corals that I got, should have been more careful. I have a friend who does some wood working and such. He is gonna look at it and see if he thinks it is fixable, if not looking at buying or making a new one. Any stand carpenters out there?

Not sure about the foam under the tank, not really convinced that is a good thing.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 19:01:04 »
Me, but unfortunately out of the picture after this week until February.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 02:45:44 »
Decided to build a new stand. Thanks to my buddy Tim for his handy work. Here are a few pics.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 02:49:01 »
Now lets get this thing plumbed and get some fish and corals goin!

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 11:09:23 »
Looking good Steve, can't wait to see the fish and corals.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 01:00:29 »
That looks nice and sturdy. Looking forward to seeing the rest come together

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2014, 17:24:44 »
That looks nice and sturdy. Looking forward to seeing the rest come together

We will find out just how sturdy tonight. I tested all my fittings last night and there were no leaks, so tonight we will add sand and begin making 200 gallons of Ro/Di water. Also finished making hangers for the LED's this week so I have got a lot done. Hope to have some pics soon and even more so ready to get my fish and corals back in a tank where I can see them.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 15:15:16 »
Looking good Steve

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 22:16:17 »
Tornado proof stand lol
Looking good, Steve
Brent McCloskey

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 20:54:50 »
This day was a long time coming.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 20:58:52 »
Having trouble downloading pics. Lets try again.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2014, 21:43:29 »
Congrats! Looks nice

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2014, 03:04:13 »
I have all the rock, corals and fish transferred but don't have the rock work scaped yet, just kinda in there. Will be working on that this week. A lot of work and quite a learning experience. 

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2015, 16:39:20 »
Starting to come around.

Offline wrassel

• Fry
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 18:16:24 »
Looking good. Looking forward to seeing it with all rocks and coral. I'm sure your happy to be getting it wrapped up.

Offline chevydoc

• Juvenile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 19:51:31 »
Lookin good steve. I cant wait to be done with mine either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 21:20:29 »
Looking good Steve,but scrape that back son. I can't believe how large that Goni has gotten.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 21:31:44 »

You need to scrape that back of tank son.

Not gonna happen! lol

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 22:42:53 »
Lookin good Steve!!
John

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2015, 01:28:47 »
My new dosing pumps.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2015, 01:29:58 »
The Beast. Thanks again Jeremy.

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2015, 07:23:13 »
Skimmer looks great in there. Those skimmers are the bomb :-)

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2015, 19:33:20 »
Really frustrated right now with my whole set up and reef keeping in general. I have had 4 wrasses die in quarantine, I have a skimmer that skims like a beast, but if I look at it the wrong way it overflows or I have to adjust the flow. The lights I purchased for the 180 simply aren't enough, I forgot to check my Mag and it was low and to top it off my central air went out and my tank got quite warm for a week or so and it really stressed a lot of my corals. Not really willing or able to sink any more cash for fish or lights  or chiller and am just not enjoying my tank right now. Just needed to dump!

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2015, 21:23:23 »
Sorry to hear this Steve. Let me know if I can help in any way.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: May 29, 2015, 00:44:12 »
Sorry Steve. It is no fun when things go wrong. Hope things turn around for you

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2015, 13:57:42 »
Really frustrated right now with my whole set up and reef keeping in general. I have had 4 wrasses die in quarantine, I have a skimmer that skims like a beast, but if I look at it the wrong way it overflows or I have to adjust the flow. The lights I purchased for the 180 simply aren't enough, I forgot to check my Mag and it was low and to top it off my central air went out and my tank got quite warm for a week or so and it really stressed a lot of my corals. Not really willing or able to sink any more cash for fish or lights  or chiller and am just not enjoying my tank right now. Just needed to dump!

An idea for if your A/C goes out again.... Put some ice in a sealed bag in your return chamber for your sump, it should help keep the tank cool.  I know Brian has a nice heat sealer and would probably be willing to make you some ice packs.  As for lighting for the 180, its tough.  Most manufacturers don't really cater towards a 2' deep (front to back) tank, so you almost have to get double the number of lights that you would normally get.  Hang in there, it will only get better.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2015, 11:23:47 »
I've never seen a skimmer that didn't overflow at some point.  You might try to raise the skimmer in the sump a little bit.  I have found that most skimmer manufactures overstate how much water the skimmer should be sitting.   I think they do it, because it's always easy to raise the skimmer a little bit, kinda hard to make it deeper

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2015, 23:10:21 »
We have a club chiller for when AC goes out. If you still have AC issues your welcome to pick it up.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2015, 01:13:09 »
Forgot all about that. Thank goodness, though it took a while, the air is fixed. Tank temp has stabilized and most of the corals are starting to look better. One thing out of the way. Now if the club had nice 48 inch LED I would be in!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2015, 19:23:24 »
Hang in there, it will only get better.

Treated my tank with chemiclean because I was having some cyano and assorted bad algae issues. Used as directed, even did a larger than recommended water change. The tank looks great, my corals look great, except for my acros. All have lost color, bad. Some are STN/RTN'ing and have basically croaked. I am about as frustrated as I have ever been doing this hobby. Seriously looking at a change.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 19:30:26 by Steve »

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2015, 19:43:42 »
Just curious what brand you are using for salt?   

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2015, 20:15:49 »
Just curious what brand you are using for salt?   

Reef Crystals

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2015, 22:33:18 »
Nothing solid, but there are a few of us local SPS guys having Tissue loss on tips, STN and browning corals.   So far the common thread is Reef Crystals.

Some SPS has shown very little affect, others have slowly been wiped out.  LPS is not affected.   The more water changes I did to try to remove what was in the tank causing the problem.....the issue with the coral has got much worse.   This problem for me started when I moved to Reef Crystals, the issue just started off so small, I thought it was just a touchy coral in to much light.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2015, 22:44:39 »
Interesting. My corals were doing pretty well, actually looking better than they had for a while. This was sudden and extreme. Seems to me as if the chemiclean had a dramatic effect on the SPS. I thought at first it might have been from excess bubbles because of the skimmer, but it has also happened to my corals in the frag tank and there really weren't many micro bubbles reaching the frag tank.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2015, 22:55:16 »
I've not seen chemiclean cause a problem with SPS.  If the microbubbles weren't causing the SPS to slime, then it was probably just fine.   

The salt is just a theory at this point.   I'm changing just to rule it out.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2015, 13:37:56 »
Just happened to notice this morning the thermometer on my tank was reading 84 degrees. Sure enough one of my heaters thermostat was stuck. Hallelujah anyhow!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2015, 02:49:34 »
Seems like things are starting to settle down. I ended up losing 2 acros 1 which I doubt I will be able to replace. It was a millie I had bought at a LFS years ago as a browned out frag. I lost my original colony and was able to get a piece back from Jeff at Marine Solutions, but it looked way different with really nice multiple colors. I have spread some around but it seems that everyone I sold or gave a piece has lost theirs also, bummer. If there is someone in the club that has a piece that I have forgotten about I would love to have a frag, special coral (to me anyway). Several have sustained some tissue loss, but this seems to have stopped also. Most of the acros in the DT (LED's) are coloring up a lot faster than the corals in my frag tank (MH), not sure why but thought I would note it.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: February 03, 2016, 22:25:28 »
Haven't posted here in a while, but the storm continues. SPS issues continuing, to the point that I am considering buying a few more anemones and seeing how many clowns I can pack in a 180. The rest of the tank is doing well. I have to admit that this has been a very challenging time for me as a reef keeper, seems to have taken a lot of the fun out of it. 

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2016, 07:00:19 »
Keep your chin up Steve. Your right,  it does take the fun out of it. I've had phosphates issues in the past. Now Nitrates are on the rise.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2016, 14:01:01 »
Steve,
Anybody could do it if it were easy. You are a unique warrier with a daunting task. Save the corals! You can do it.
Good Luck!
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2016, 21:13:05 »
I have received a few PM's and replies with encouraging words, I do appreciate it.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2016, 21:39:02 »
So whatever is going on with my tank it seemed as if my cheato was growing at an extremely slow rate, catching more dirt and growing cyano mostly. Also have not been real happy trying to reduce phosphates with GFO in a 180, mostly because my reactor is small and GFO is expensive. With all this I decided to make a change. I took the GFO reactor out about a month ago and began running phosphate pads instead. I have noticed a major decrease in algae on the glass and I have even increased my feedings. As of now I am very pleased with the results and the pads are a lot cheaper than GFO and a lot less messy. Right now I am running 1 pad made by Acurel and 1 Poly Filter.

• Adult
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2016, 21:40:58 »
Good info Steve thanks for sharing

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2016, 11:47:52 »
Good news Steve! I had bad phosphate issues too, and I solved it by dosing Nitrates, as my Nitrates were 0, in the form of KNO3 (Spectracide Stump Remover). If you are interested in that, I can tell you how to mix it and how much to dose.  Another thought as to why your chaeto isn't growing, could be related to Iron, I know that chaeto uses Phosphate, Nitrate and Iron to grow.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2016, 13:00:49 »
I had a Phosphate problem and fixed it with gfo. Now my nitrates are 20 and I have dosing vodka for 9 days with no results. Should I find a Phosphate source and add that my tank?

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2016, 13:03:09 »
Try putting the Vodka in the tank! Lol

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2016, 17:04:25 »
I had a Phosphate problem and fixed it with gfo. Now my nitrates are 20 and I have dosing vodka for 9 days with no results. Should I find a Phosphate source and add that my tank?

Nitrates are much less of a problem than Phosphates.  I would take your GFO offline and feed more until you can get some detectable Phosphates, your chaeto will start eating that Nitrate like cookies.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2016, 17:08:18 »
Will the extra food create higher nitrates?

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #59 on: February 12, 2016, 20:00:47 »
Hhhmmmmm, looks like the BOD is high jacking my thread, better watch it guys!

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #60 on: February 12, 2016, 20:34:19 »
Sorry Steve,  I got carried away.  Sounds like you are on the right track.  Congrats!

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #61 on: February 12, 2016, 20:45:59 »
Sorry Steve,  I got carried away.  Sounds like you are on the right track.  Congrats!

Just havin some fun.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2016, 01:28:35 »
Glad to hear you are getting some positive results.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2016, 03:37:02 »
Checked nitrates since removing cheato and also turning my skimmer down a little. Have had a little increase, they were at 0 and now are around 5ppm, which is probably a good thing. Will continue to monitor, just to make sure they don't take off.

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2016, 20:04:46 »
Yes, 5ppm Nitrates is great! I try to keep mine between 5 and 10 ppm.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #65 on: February 29, 2016, 23:44:26 »
Did a 130 gal water change last night. Most everything looks good, but it seems to have pushed a few more SPS over the edge. Will keep an eye on them and see if they make any recovery. Have added a few rock flower nems and a new GBTA with a purple foot. Loving the rock nems. I have decided that even if the SPS recover I am taking the tank in a new direction. I love the SPS, but between red bugs, flow rates, not enough PAR, phosphates and nitrates and whatever has been killing mine recently I am headed in a less stressful direction. I realize that all coral have their issues, but I am just wanting to get back to the hobby and enjoying my tank. 

Offline Kenn

« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2016, 01:32:55 »
Glad to hear you are getting a handle on things.

I would love to see pictures of those Nems when you get a chance
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2016, 22:05:35 »
Having a horrible time downloading pics.

• Adult
« Reply #68 on: March 02, 2016, 01:30:22 »
Nice looking stuff Steve!! 👍🏻

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #69 on: March 02, 2016, 03:23:46 »

Here are a couple more

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #70 on: March 02, 2016, 03:30:59 »
Nice looking stuff Steve!! 👍🏻

Thanks Matt.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2016, 16:55:46 »
Okay so after 130 gal water change and losing a few more corals, things seemed to have stabilized. STN seems to have stopped and colors returning to the SPS. Didn't have the extra salt at the time, but am contemplating another water change. Also changed the magnesium I was using, I had the bag for a while and things seemed to worsen when I dosed Mag. Thought I would change 1 additive at a time, if necessary and monitor corals. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2016, 20:49:27 »
It has been a little over 2 months (on purpose) since I did the large water change. Everything was doing great then I noticed my JF Violet Orange Monti receding again. Now all the acros are beginning to show stn again though not as bad. What have I learned? That my Mag was not the source of the issue. Planning on a large water change this weekend. The good news is I was blessed with some led lights by Matt. I was able to trade them to Lee for a 60 inch fixture made by the same company as the lights I currently have. I have always had front to back coverage issue, that problem has been solved. Thanks Matt and Lee.

• Adult
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2016, 20:52:10 »
No problem Steve I hope it helps.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2016, 13:19:24 »
Just finished doing about a 170 gal water change. Ordering some different calcium today. Changed mag supplements last time, so if new calcium doesn't solve the problem I am not sure what to do. I don't really use any other supplements, but the occasional dosing of Kent essential trace elements and Iodide. We will see.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2016, 18:46:28 »
Received new calcium today, will  start dosing tonight. Time will tell.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2016, 19:37:41 »
Steve,
Do you have any photos you could post of the corals that have STN? What temperature and specific gravity do you aim for? The large water change seem to abate the issue in the your tank for some period of time. How frequently should the large water changes be preformed to keep the inhabitants happy and should it be accompanied by other smaller changes periodically?  I'm going to do about a 90% water change tonight. I have to keep the fish wet!
Thanks,
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #77 on: May 27, 2016, 19:53:08 »
I do not, but will try and get some this weekend. The corals also lose color and polyp extension. I purposely didn't do any smaller changes to see if me switching Mag had any effect. Ideally would like to get back to just small regular water changes, the 100 gal+ water changes are taking a chunk out of my wallet and the stn+ is really putting a hamper on my frag sales.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #78 on: May 27, 2016, 20:17:49 »
My trumpets are slowly receding and the Duncans have not opened for months. I'm not sure the smaller water changes are sufficient to eliminate the toxins from the coral warfare. The filtration, carbon or otherwise, may not break it down or remove it. I am contemplating doing periodic large water changes as a test. So, far the larger changes have had a positive effect on the tank inhabitants. It is obvious to me that the water quality in my tank needs to improve. Please keep us posted on your progress. I watched the Prefect Storm movie last week, kinda depressing, but I do see some strong similarities in reefing!
Thanks,
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2016, 01:25:45 »
The storm continues. Less than four month old pump on my skimmer, dead in the water. This is the 2nd pump on this skimmer since I bought it, not pleased.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2016, 22:56:13 »
My AC went out today, if it doesn't get fixed soon could be problems.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #81 on: June 10, 2016, 00:13:15 »
Steve,
If needed, I have a mini frig that can be used as a chiller and a window air-conditioner to make it liveable for you and your wife. 94 on Saturday!
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #82 on: July 06, 2016, 21:03:05 »
Positive Update. Yea! AC is fixed, skimmer pump is replaced and 1 1/2 months after last large water change my SPS look better than they have in a long time. Colors are coming back and polyp extension is progressively getting better. I hate to admit and not all evidence is in, but it looks like the bulk calcium I was using must have had some kind of chemical or contaminant that was causing the issues. I switched to BRS calcium chloride, changed no other supplements and haven't done anymore water changes and my SPS are definitely getting better. I have used Driveway Heat for over 5 years and never had an issue, but it looks like it caught up with me. Will keep monitoring just to make sure that the problem is solved.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #83 on: July 06, 2016, 21:21:52 »
Awesome.. keep it simple my friend

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2016, 20:58:59 »
Well, 2 months since last post and right now everything seems good. Some of my SPS were so damaged that they are just know getting back to normal. My Red Planet which seemed stunted but has colored up nicely and is getting it's normal polyp extension back. Picked up a few SPS frags and most of them are doing great. I am so glad that I finally found the problem. Thank God, I was seriously frustrated with this hobby, but so enjoy it.

• Adult
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2016, 21:19:11 »
I am very glad it is going good for you Steve. I know how nice your tank was originally and I was depressed for you brother.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #86 on: September 23, 2016, 08:27:40 »
That is great to hear Steve

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2016, 10:18:17 »
Steve,
Well done! Persistence has paid off! Do you have some before and now pictures?
Gary

Offline Kenn

« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2016, 19:58:04 »
 :-Thumb  Glad to hear your persistence has paid off Steve.