2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: overflow design  (Read 2065 times)

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
overflow design
« on: December 30, 2013, 15:44:28 »
Hi all I just picked up a new 40 breeder to use as a frag tank in my basement fish room. I am trying to decide where to place holes and how many. Also to use an overfliw box or not. I was originalky thinging two one inch drains with upturn elbows on left and right corner and one 3/4" return in middle with locking split into two 3/4" returns in center of the tank. Do the upturned elbows work or should I buy an overflow box? Rather save the money if not necessary. If anyone has a picture of their drains and silencing devices and explain how they work I would appreciate any suggestions.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: overflow design
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 15:48:35 »
I used bean system  http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx I love it silents fail safe and easy to use plus small footprint

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 15:52:30 »
Yeah I guess I should change my question. Does anyone else use just bulk head and standpipes or strainers? Do you get adequate skimming of the top with the elbows? How do you keep them silent? I would rather not pay for the materials and use the space for box if the elbows will do the same thing. I know the more surface area the better but this is going to be a frag tank and like simplicity of no box.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 15:59:44 »
All sorry about that I think lazylivin did somthing like this with the bean system you might check out his build I think anyways

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 16:04:25 »

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 20:01:43 »
I just have strainers. I point a one of the powerheads toward the surface, just enough to get a little action on top. Works great. I have 2 drains on the 180 and a reflow dart pushing the water com the sump. No problems as of yet.

Offline dustinbrearton

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 19:48:48 »
I have a setup similar to what you are talking about.  Premium autos sells a great strainer for this setup.  I will see if I can get a video of my tank on here along with the strainer link

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Offline dustinbrearton

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 20:07:49 »
Here's a link to the strainer I use.  I am seeing up s small Frag tank and going with the same design only a single overflow.   The strainers keep it relatively quite unless you are right on top of them.

I have a video uploading now and will post when it is done.

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/BH10-LPS-MALE.html

Video link

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 20:38:20 by dustinbrearton »

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 22:03:04 »
Hi all I just picked up a new 40 breeder to use as a frag tank in my basement fish room. I am trying to decide where to place holes and how many. Also to use an overfliw box or not. I was originalky thinging two one inch drains with upturn elbows on left and right corner and one 3/4" return in middle with locking split into two 3/4" returns in center of the tank. Do the upturned elbows work or should I buy an overflow box? Rather save the money if not necessary. If anyone has a picture of their drains and silencing devices and explain how they work I would appreciate any suggestions.

I have 2 upturned drains.  3/4" running full syphon, and 1" Backup Drain. 

But I also isolated them with a top to bottom box, to limit how much water drains back when the power goes out.....and to help with surface skimming.  Cant see the upturns here, but you can see the box.