2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: T5 Lighting  (Read 4602 times)

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
T5 Lighting
« on: July 13, 2006, 16:45:48 »
I know , I know, me again. ;D I have a question about my light fixture. I have a Coralife T5 double bulb strip 36 watt over a 20 gallon long tank. My question is will this work for my reef endeavors. I plan to keep this tank simple for now so my choices as far as coral goes will be the easy to keep stuff. I've read elsewhere that T5 lighting has twice the intensity of a standard flouresent, and being that this is a shallow tank 10 to 12 inches max I was hoping this fixture would do the job for awhile. Whats everybody think? All opinions welcome I am here to learn as well as help out. The bulbs in this fixture are one 10k, and one 03 actinic.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: T5 Lighting
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2006, 16:48:31 »
Maybe Travis can help out. I don't know anything about T5 Lighting but I think he has used it before. 

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 16:53:17 »
Who is Travis?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 17:10:34 »
Who is Travis?
  Sorry, It's Bigfalcon36

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 17:23:13 »
T5 sucks....  Right travis

bigfalcon36

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2006, 20:51:51 »
Just saw this thread, so sorry for the late reply.  Let me just say this about T5, if you have the correct set-up it will do you wonders.

With that being said, there are all types of option out there for T5 lighting...but you have to know what you're buying before you actually buy it.  Personally, I think the only way to go is to use an IceCap ballast in conjunction with IceCap SLR's.  The reason behind this is because IceCap ballasts overdrive a T5 bulb, the life span is a hair shorter but the results are worth it.  The IceCap SLR increases the intensity of the bulb some 85%.

The problem that I had with T5 was that I did NOT do my homework (I also inherited the 8x54 watt fixture when I bought the set-up).  I had some off brand fixture that had workhorse ballasts and did NOT have individual reflectors for each bulb.  Sure, it kept stuff alive...but nothing was thriving like in others tanks.

Now, let me say this about your Coralife fixture...also this isn't the gospel, just what I think.  I do NOT think that you'll get the results that you want out of that fixture.  First, the bulbs are not good High Output bulbs, they are regular T5 bulbs.  A good bulb is ATI or anything German.  I would use the Coralife fixture for over a small refugium, but not a display.  If you're going to do T5..do it correctly and spend the extra money on SLR's and a good ballast.

My advice to you would be to get an elctronic 175 watt metal halide ballast (ARO or IceCap) and use that.  Get a nice bulb, Coralvue Reeflux, XM or Hamilton (my personal favorite) 14k or higher....with this K rating you can avoid any type of supplementing light, like VHO or T5.  Metal halide are cheaper to buy up front than T5 too, although the T5 are cheaper and cooler to operate. 

If you have anything else let me know

Travis

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2006, 00:31:51 »
Wow man you really laid it down. Unfortunately I am stuck with this light for now. I also have two 65 watt 50/50 bulbs which I thought about building a canopy, and buying a ballast for. I know the halides are the way to go, but funds are limited. I really do appreciate the info. How long have you been in the hobby Travis?

bigfalcon36

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2006, 00:49:04 »
I have been keeping reef stuff for about a year and half.  I know how you feel about the funds...we have all be there.  I also would not say that halides are the way to go.   I have seen some unreal tanks with T5.  On the tank that I am working on setting up now I am going to use both T5 and halides.

If you ever have time go to reef cental and read about T5's you can learn the do's and don'ts...if you need any help feel free to PM me.

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2006, 00:51:59 »
Thanks Travis I will keep that in mind.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2006, 00:57:18 »
I knew Travis could help out!  :)

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2006, 01:23:02 »
Thanks Micki.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2006, 06:59:46 »
:D  No problem

Charlie

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 22:05:34 »

bigfalcon36

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 22:38:13 »
Charie, what do type of set-up do you run?

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 01:43:15 »
Thanks for the link Charlie.

Charlie

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006, 09:00:38 »
I run a TEK 5 from sunlight supply. I do not like SPS (except for monti). I have a trach and a wellso on the sand bed in a 75 and they are doing fine. Euphyllia seem to love t5's the growth rate is fantastic. Mushrooms on the other hand have to be kept on the bottom of the tank or they fry. I can tell you that if you are looking for more par to go with either ice cap or aqualux reflectors. You do not need to overdrive the bulbs if you are using good reflectors and are not using a deep tank.