2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Reactors  (Read 3374 times)

slandis3

Reactors
« on: August 01, 2006, 16:11:44 »
I would like to know what everyone thinks about reactors. Phosban reactos mainly. Are they worth the money, do they work well? I know calcium reactors can be worth there weight in gold. But what about other types of reactors?

jenghes

Re: Reactors
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 16:13:23 »
I do not have any phosphate issues since I changed my water source from tap to RO/DI.  Thus, I do not see a need for one IMO.  My PO4 always reads zero and there are no nusience algea problems. 

marinelife

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 16:20:58 »
Phosban reactors can be worth it if you have a problem with PO4, if not then they are worthless. It maybe best to run a small one to help with the PO4 that is added with food and stuff. You are correct also CA Reactors are worth it to anyone with a large tank and many clams/SPS Corals. Many people have also used a Phosban reactor to run carbon, this is also a good thing

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 16:22:29 »
I am useing ro/di water that has 0 tds. But i am told the alge i am getting could be from the maturing of the tank, metal halids getting a little old, and some other things. I am setting up a 120g fish only tank right now. If i start haveing issues with alge I was woundering if a phos reactor would be the way to go or not.

jenghes

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 16:23:38 »
It sounds like your tank is new.  If so, the algea cycle is perfectly normal.

marinelife

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 16:24:12 »
I agree and
more and likely a reactor would help, plus new bulbs. Algae can be caused by many things but most of the time it is from PO4

slandis3

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 16:25:21 »
ok I was thinking of building a DIY reactor for my fish only system and I thought I could switch from a phos to a carbon media if needed. tanks for the info.

marinelife

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 16:27:21 »
that would work, check with Travis(bigfalcon36) he made a nice carbon filter that may work

slandis3

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 16:29:59 »
well my reef tank is about a year old. and so are the lights. I am going to change the lights first and see if that helps. I am switching from my 65g tank to a 200g tank sometime this fall.I hate to go out and buy to new mh bulbs and then have to buy 3 more for my new tank. But if the alge problem does not go away I will have to try to change the bulbs. I have added some blue leg hermit crabs and a phosgaurd pouch to my tank to try and help.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 16:31:51 »
I was having issues with HA and I suspect that my lace rock was leaching PO4. I started running a PO4 reactor and along with a sea hare I licked the problem. A PO4 reactor can always be used to run other media if you decide you don't need the PO4 media.

marinelife

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 16:32:34 »
1 year old is pushing the limits