2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Jebao Gyre issue  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Gary

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Jebao Gyre issue
« on: March 18, 2020, 22:09:15 »
I know some members have had issues with pump rotor/armature issues. I have had an rotor failure in a Jebao last week. The plastic cracked and the rotor expanded stopping the rotation. I had a similar failure 2 years ago of a MaxSpect Gyre. The material leeches out into the tank. Unfortunately, I didn't immediately remove the pump because I was think maybe a snail had jammed the blades. The material maybe harmful to the tank inhabitants. Just another lesson in life.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
Re: Jebao Gyre issue
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 22:21:31 »
How old is the gyre?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 09:52:00 »
About two years old. I bought it to replace a MaxSpect Gyre that failed for the same reason. You can see the wear marks from the rotation on the MaxSpect. I have read that some cleaning solutions can attack the plastic coating and cause premature failure (MP40).

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 10:21:55 »
I have read a lot of people are using citric acid now instead of vinegar. Kind of a bummer to have to replace things that soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 15:01:54 »
I have read a similar article that said to use the recommended cleaner which varies with pump manufacturers.  Citric Acid (weak acid) is a tricarboxylic acid C6H8O7 but is used for canning as a preservative.  When I leave quarantine I'll get some at Kroger's.  Cleaning them with stronger acid may have been the real cause of failure.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2020, 12:53:25 »
I once read an article on the benefits of using muriatic acid over vinegar. A guy broke it down to an elemental level and claimed that one of the atoms that are present in vinegar and not in MA will penetrate plastic and cause if to swell. Thus causing the MP40 magnet problems and possibly this problem as well.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2020, 14:05:34 »
I do use diluted muriatic acid (38% HCL) for my cleaning. White vinegar is 5% acetic acid (CH3COOH) but have used this for carbon dosing. Citric acid is a weak organic acid (C6H8O7) but I have not used this but I will pick some up when if and when I leave quarantine.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2020, 23:47:15 »
I tried citric acid.  It took like a whole bag (4 pounds) and didn’t do as well as a cup of muratic acid. those splits like that could be caused by the glue joints getting a small leak then the magnet rusts and expands breaking it apart farther. Acid can make it brittle long term but doing a 30min to an 1hr acid bath should be just fine. Sometimes I do a really strong bath and it only takes about 5 minutes. Muratic acid comes in a plastic container. Once I left gyre pumps in super concentrated acid for 3 months. It did damages the rubber.