2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Wall hammer?  (Read 1594 times)

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
Wall hammer?
« on: March 29, 2013, 00:24:21 »
Is this die off or new growth hammer really never closes at night so never noticed this.  On the right hand side see the really white area?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
Re: Wall hammer?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 01:22:21 »
Looks like die off to me

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 03:00:53 »
Man don't tell me that.   Why would it be during?  I went ahead and used some coral rx and diped it and nothing came off?  Plus the coral opens up all the way getting huge during the day.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 06:00:00 »
Not sure why, it could just be stressed out from transition if you just picked it up at the swap. Also hammer, fragswan torches etc are the favoritte spot for some nasty pests to hide since there is so many good hiding spots ( i'm not saying that is the case ) It could also be from lack of light, it looks like that part is shaded by the other due to the way it is in the rock. These are all just suggestions.

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 07:30:23 »
Ill get a better shot it is not shaded at all and is at the very top plus I have had it before swap maybe a month or more now. And I did do a dip on it

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 08:11:34 »
I've seen this with mine.  When closed at night, the skeleton is so prominent that it can be seen through the flesh.  I think that's what I'm seeing on your pic.  Also, wall hammers are a bit more picky than your standard branching hammer, so just keep a close eye on it.  I've got a pink one that was cut and luckily it's doing very very good.