2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hello Hello  (Read 1323 times)

Offline Joe_Fish

• Fry
Hello Hello
« on: July 19, 2019, 00:30:00 »
Well names Joe,  go figure with the name and all,  I for record do not work in a button factory.    I'm not only well new to the forum but also new to Saltwater aquariums as well.    Previously I had heavily planted freshwater tanks  might post a few pictures of them later on or something if I can dig them up if anyone is interested in seeing them.   My new project will be a 75 -120 gallon setup (all depending on if I get a good deal on this 120 really)    I've a bundle of well unanswered questions but I'll post those I'm sure in the proper forum sometime after I finish writing this little meet and greet up.   Lets see my three favorite fishies of all time,   One is the good ole fashioned Heckle Discus or those just more natural looking Discus not too big on the ""designer"" models I suppose.   Guess like my cars I like my Discus to be the classics.   Maybe thats why I drive around an old beat up ford truck.   Well no,  that's probably cause it just hasn't died on me.  No sense buying a new one if the old one isn't broke I say.   I've also always had a thing for Clownfish.   I don't know why maybe I saw one as a kid and fell in love with the little buggers but I've just always had a soft spot for them.   Then the Mandarins,   and yeah yeah I know they only eat copepods and ya need a lot of living rock to sustain them and such but one day I will have one of these little buggers and he/she is going to live I tell ya.     But I'll get into that in another post about my concepts on perhaps how to keep them alive maybe.   

Back to the new tank I suppose,  its ideally going to be a reef tank,  as said bout 75-120 gallons and it'll most likely be a bit of a slow project as I try to buy things on the used level to save myself a penny or two.   Nickle-and-diming this build as best I can really.    Not that there's much nickle-and-diming  to be had but if I can pick up a skimmer some pumps maybe even some lightly used lighting anything I can really to make this more budget friendly I Intend to.    Else I'll just buy things slowly and though it'll take me longer to setup in the long run I think it'll be a better aquarium than if I just skipped out on a lot of things and just did it as cheaply as possible.    Plus most likely I'd just end up buying the better equipment down the road so I wouldn't actually be saving much money I imagine in the long run anyways.   Plus goals to setup a second aquarium down the road,  one for Coral one more for Anemones.   But again I'll get into all that in another post shortly I imagine.

But yeah Think thats well probably more than anyone really wanted to read about me or my goals I suppose.   Was wondering does the Reef Club have a discord or anything?    Something more live chat based.   That'd be pretty nice I think if there isn't one.

Anywho if ya stopped in to read,  Thanks for reading and I look forward to hearing from you.

-   Joe

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Hello Hello
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 20:28:33 »
Welcome Joe!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2019, 13:44:06 »
Welcome and sounds like you have a good idea of what you are planning out.  I did the same thing and bought almost all my equipment used or I built it. There a lot of good deals to be found in the different classifieds. You can look here, reef central , reef2reef, and craigslist. As in live forum you might want to attend one of the clubs monthly meetings you will likely find someone to bend your ears till you call uncle.
Jeff

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2019, 12:09:55 »
Joe,
  Welcome to the Club - great to have you joining!

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2019, 19:57:34 »
happy to have you, i have lights/skimmers/pumps in cincinnati if you are interested.

Offline Joe_Fish

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 06:34:23 »
@Erky   I'm up around Columbus,  its going to be a bit before I start setting up the larger tank.   Its part of a larger scale project I suppose sort of redoing a basement kinda.   

Did get the 20 gallon setup,   anyone have some GSP or random Zoa's they don't want lol

Thanks everyone for the welcome though.