2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: clown fish  (Read 4695 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
clown fish
« on: March 16, 2008, 21:29:15 »
anyone every decided to redo their decor in a tank that has a clown fish.  Man if it gets you just right you can feel it.  but actually after 30 plus minutes of moving rock around, putting this coral there then moving it to over there the whole "cuteness" (as Becky calls it) of the clown fish attacking my hand really got old.  I have never "loathed" (LOL) a fish as much as I do this clown fish, man was it annoying. 

not as annoying as me probably moving his "house" around but annoying never the less. 

MechanicalEngineer

Re: clown fish
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 21:53:37 »
Ugh!  Sorry to hear of your woes with your clownfish.  I had a blenny like that...loooved to bite my hand to pieces.  It's funny, I never hear complaints like this from people with really aggressive fish...only fish like damsels!

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 22:13:15 »
it just chased my hand around like it was a piece of meat.  but your right you never hear of people with aggressive fish having that problem. 

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 21:40:03 »
My clownfish hide when my hand goes into the water and I've never had a problem.  The stick I use to move things around in the tank is another story.  Nips, bumps, and tail flicks are the norm for the poor stick.  It is clownfish enemy #1.

Bwlr

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 22:16:32 »
I've got 2 that do it.
Get's annoying after a while.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 22:24:13 »
exactly.. very annoying.  and now it thinks it can attack my hand any time i put my hand in there.

Offline Hunter21

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 02:29:45 »
I know the feeling as well...  ;)
Erin

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 08:06:46 »
Same here... My female is that way, but my male runs and hides.
Dayton - 45459

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 20:35:36 »
YES it is very annoying!! my GSM's both attack my hand plus my cleaner shrimp
plus my cleaner shrimp is all over my hand looking for food. makes me want to get
rid of them and not move them to the new setup in progress.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 07:56:13 »
We have a large female Cinnamon in a service tank that is so aggressive that we net her out of the tank while cleaning it. I've seen my share of aggressive clowns but this one is relentless......stupid clown ;D

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 07:59:14 »
I netted mine once, and thought it might teach her a lesson, but it did no good.  The next time I had my hand in that half of the tank, she was up to her dirty tricks again.  She's a little pit bull!
Dayton - 45459

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2008, 09:47:46 »
This is kinda off this topic a little bit i just got a bubble tip anenome and was wondering if there are any tricks to getting clowns to swim in it probably not but I just thought I might ask
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline rmstevensiii

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2008, 12:27:48 »
I've had clowns for many years and for me, it's been hit and miss.  Some showed no desire to host, but the last one that I added is obsessed with hosting and will try to host in anything.

My .02
Dayton - 45459

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 14:47:26 »
I don't have any clown fish...and I'm definitely no expert, but don't certain species of clownfish host better with certain species of anemones?  I've also heard that wild-caught clownfish host easier than captive bred.  I'm sure there's a bunch of people on here that could chime in much better than me.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 10:02:42 »
thanks for the info yeah i knew that certain species swim in certain ones and i bought one that is supposed to be a match and i know its kinda hit or miss i just didnt know if there were any tricks to get them to do it. but thanks for all the help
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 10:10:03 »
Sometimes it takes a while.  Be patient, and the clownfish might figure it out!   :)

Offline verper

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 17:47:54 »
I agree.  I've had two pair of clowns and neither even thought about hosting for the first year or two.  Now they both host, one in a candycane coral and the other in some xenia.