2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: If I had  (Read 6407 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
If I had
« on: December 30, 2006, 13:05:35 »
a fish only 150 gallon tank what would some cool fish options be???  I know there would be 2 hippo tangs and 1 powder blue tang in there.  Give me some other ideas of "cool" fish to add to that size tank. 

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
Re: If I had
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 13:22:50 »
oh lord, micki is upgrading....I bet she wants to put a 150 downstairs to save her bastard hippos

Harliquin Tusk or however you spell it

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 13:27:17 »
Matt you crack me up!  Yes I am trying to save my hippos (and zoas)  and yes it would go down stairs.  Geeezzzzz how "do" you know these things?   ;D 

A Harlequin Tusk would be cool.  (you kow who would be soooo proud of me for getting one of those!  ;D )

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 14:56:24 »
I would consider a trigger of some kind.  Triggers that are known to not have a attitudes are the hawian (that's what I have), niger, blue jaw/throat, pink tail & a few others that I cannot remember their name & Joel has 1-2 in his shop.  For a 150g I wouldn't do a hawian but 1 of the other triggers I listed.   

Puffers are also a excellent addition.  The porcupine & spiny box puffers are 2 of my favorite!  Relativly cheap with a awesome personality.  The problem with these guys, are certain fish mostly angels like picking on them :(  There are several other puffers that you can look at which angels & tangs usually do not bother.  I just picked up a Mappa puffer for my FO tank.

Pretty much any angel would work (just not with those puffers).  My favorites are the emperor & queen angel.  They both can get pretty large & might outgrow the 150g. 

wrasses are also pretty interesting.  LOTS of cool options there.

You can always add a few more tangs - Naso, yellow, purple etc

300g tub o fish

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 15:02:44 »
Thanks Gary, those are some cool options as well.  I would be hesitant to go with any other tangs.  My powder blue has decided to be a pain lately.  I would think she would pick on any other tang I would go with.  I have considered a trigger.  I love some of those fish! 

Keep the ideas coming guys.  :)

Offline Viggen

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 15:20:14 »
the powder blue will not just pick on a new tang but any fish that added! 

Something that I have done in the past is to make a divider in the tank so when I add new fish I seperate them form the other fish.  They have a week or so to become accustom to their new tank.  After they are eating for a few days I then remove the divider & usually it makes the introduction a lot less stressfull!!   

I am a tang fan thus I would throw a few more in there :)   Adding multiple tangs/fish at the the same time can make it easier on the new inhabitants.  However if your powder blue is anything like my old blue tang (now a resident at Joel's shop) there isn't anything you can do.

It is pretty interesting though.  The powder blue's are very difficult to get to do well & are ich magnets.  However once established they become terrors & should be the last fish added to the aquarium.
300g tub o fish

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 15:35:47 »
Gary, I've had my powder blue since April 2005!  I had no problem with her at all until recently.  She has decided to become the tank bully  ::)  Although she only picks on the other tangs not any other fish.  She was also the last fish added so I didn't expect to have problems from her. 

I love tangs too but due to Miss Attitude I am hesitant to add more.  I can always leave her in the 125 until I am done adding fish then plop her in the other tank.  :)

I think my system would be big enough that I could add several fish at the same time without any spike to speak of.  "If" (and that's a big "if") I would add the 150 I would have a total of around 400 gallons. 

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 16:14:40 »

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 16:15:13 »
IF....we all know its when not if

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 16:18:14 »
you could go with a specific grouping of fish related by location, ie red sea fish, or fiji island fish.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2006, 16:28:41 »
I like those choices Matt! 

Oh yes, I forgot, the great Matt knows all.  ;)

I like that idea too Rick. 
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 16:34:49 by micki »

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2006, 16:35:38 »
Rick, do you have any examples of location fish? 

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2006, 16:46:17 »
nothing specific, most places tell you where the fish come from though.
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2006, 16:52:18 »
Ok gotcha.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2006, 16:53:00 »
I think some schoolingfish might be cool.  There wouldn't be tons of rock in the tank since I'm nto doing coral it would be pretty spacious. 

bigfalcon36

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2006, 17:07:32 »
Get a clown trigger and an emporer angel

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2006, 17:17:15 »
I like those options as well. 

This is great!  O'm getting all kinds of ideas!  Now lets hope I even get a tank.  LOL

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2006, 17:36:11 »
10 bucks says she has a new tank by March

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2006, 17:36:28 »
I'll be sure to send "you know who" your way!! He'll love the tusk!!! LOL!!!

Offline Viggen

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2006, 17:36:59 »
I like having a lot of rock becuase it allows the fish to swim through the passages & also hopefully gives them places to hide.  I feel this is even more important when there are agressive fish in there.... like the PB tang :)

A clown trigger is pretty awesome looking however when they get big the could kill all of your tank inhabitants.  

You could also put a hawk fish in there, the flame's are cool & have a great personality    

300g tub o fish

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2006, 17:46:34 »
I'll be sure to send "you know who" your way!! He'll love the tusk!!! LOL!!!

LOL I thought you might know who that is...  ;)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2006, 17:47:07 »
10 bucks says she has a new tank by March

March???  Sir, you are underestimating me!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2006, 17:48:55 »
I like having a lot of rock becuase it allows the fish to swim through the passages & also hopefully gives them places to hide.  I feel this is even more important when there are agressive fish in there.... like the PB tang :)

A clown trigger is pretty awesome looking however when they get big the could kill all of your tank inhabitants.  

You could also put a hawk fish in there, the flame's are cool & have a great personality    

I would use the extra rock I have right now.  I'm not sure how much that is but it's a good little bit.  This tank tank won't have a top on it so I need to make sure I don't ahve jumpers.     :)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 17:57:02 by micki »

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2006, 17:56:26 »
Matt I LOVE the Humu Picasso Triggerfish!  I had looked at those a while back but forgot about them.  Very cool!  I like the coris wrasse too.  I wonder if it would be a jumper? 

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2006, 18:08:00 »
March because it was a safe bet!  We used to have a Picasso in our bow front that was a fish only tank.  Pretty cool fish