2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: human catching a disease from fish???  (Read 2566 times)

xdemoncaff3in3x

human catching a disease from fish???
« on: September 19, 2007, 00:04:19 »
Causes and symptoms of fish TB. Mycobacterium marinum. Possible treatment. There is some danger to humans when servicing infected tanks.
....ill get  a set of gloves over at Joels now.lol

MechanicalEngineer

Re: human catching a disease from fish???
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 00:14:24 »
I think common sense goes a lot further than worrying when it comes to disease from aquariums.  Yes, there are countless bacteria and viruses and other goodies that haven't been studied yet in the ocean (and our aquariums), but I believe proper hygiene and common sense is probably more practical.

If you know you're allergic to everything under the sun (and probably the sun itself...and should just live in a bubble), then chances are, you shouldn't stick your hand in the tank.  If you have a gaping wound...chances are, you shouldn't stick your hand in the tank.  All I'm saying is, just be careful...but you probably shouldn't lose sleep over it.

xdemoncaff3in3x

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 00:22:22 »
lol...it was something i was reading ----not a hypochondriac  just dont want to get nothing from the tanks...but iam still getting glove to protect the fish an myself.....more sterile anyhow..

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 00:27:54 »
By wearing a glove, it's more likely you're protecting the tank more than you are yourself.   ;)

xdemoncaff3in3x

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 00:50:11 »
well if water proof wouldnt it do both....

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 07:56:05 »
we cary the large full arm aqua gloves.  But they take some getting used to but do their job.  Reusing the same pair of gloves it technically not sterile.  You can not clean the inside of these gloves to well either.  Disposable latex gloves with a rubber band around the wrist (to keep water out) work the best.  They do not protect your arm so if you don't scrape it in the tank or have any open wounds you should be fine.