2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fragnets or magnets?  (Read 3101 times)

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
Fragnets or magnets?
« on: June 17, 2008, 17:05:45 »
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had ever purchased fragnets or used epoxy coated magnets to mount corals to their glass on here?  I have a couple Monti's I was thinking or mounting to the overflow section of my aquarium.  Suggestions?

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
Re: Fragnets or magnets?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 17:15:19 »
It's an interesting idea. I was thinking about trying that too after I saw someone on Cincyreef do that. Were you able to find any for sale anywhere. The only place I could find them was nautilusreef.com . Let me know if you end up doing it, I want to see someone else do it first  :D.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 17:48:57 »
That's the same thing I was wanting, I also seen the one on Cincyreef but I didn't want to hijack the tread.  I seen someone suggest these magnets  http://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D82E and I also seen the ones on nautilusreef. 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 20:21:01 »
I've never bought them or used them...but, I'll throw in my $0.02...

As an engineer, I've dealt a decent bit with magnets.  For reef applications, I'd only buy the neodymium magnets.  They're pretty much the most powerful for their size/cost.  They don't come cheap though usually.  We used them in the labs...and let me tell ya...they're pretty dangerous.  Even tiny ones!!!  I was working with two plates about 4" squared...and they could've crushed my hands more than likely.  But, they'll hold big colonies through glass quite easily probably.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 16:45:51 »
So it looks like I need to find some epoxy coated neodymium magnets...or put some of them old mag-floats back into commision  ;D

Offline verper

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 17:19:22 »
There are several places that carry the premade type if you look around.  Usually pretty cheap also.