2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Coral Cove  (Read 2917 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Coral Cove
« on: August 13, 2011, 23:49:18 »
Stopped in at the grand opening of Coral Cove today.  They have a modest startup, and their tanks (all with LED's) looked great!  We wish them the best in their new endeavor!

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Sunny

• Adult
Re: Coral Cove
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 11:11:34 »
I was there also.  We should of wore name tags .. lol 

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:54:12 »
I was planning to go but got caught up (literally) trimming back some osage orange (hedgeapple) trees.  Do they have a main line of product that they sell?  How were the doorprizes?

Offline salt newbie

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 16:01:52 »
I seen a lot of kent products but i dont think they have their own brand of anything!! its a small store but we still managed to stay there for an hour looking and talking!!!! loved all the led lights they had!! door prizes were pretty good too!!

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 18:22:58 »
i wasnt impressed about them they do have potential but for a grand opening u would think they would have a bunch of corals and fish in and have a sale

Dude, they're brand new, and they're doing it with everything they have, so cut 'em some slack.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  What I saw looked pretty good for a first day out of the gate.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 18:24:54 »
I was planning to go but got caught up (literally) trimming back some osage orange (hedgeapple) trees.  Do they have a main line of product that they sell?  How were the doorprizes?

It looks like they carry the Brightwell line (All of it), some B-Ionic items, basic food items, and some Kent products.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 18:32:34 »
Really nice place for those of us interested in the hobby and not just a discount. I beleive we as "Reef enthusiasts" should support them as well as all the local stores. Diversity is a good thing. I myself, applaud them for stepping out on a limb and starting the venture, which only a few have done in the Dayton area. Give them time to grow and I think everyone will be happy they are available to us.
Chromiumlux

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 20:48:22 »
It takes a lot to start up and unfortunately the live stock quantity may have to sacrafice because of the unexpected start up costs. Give them some time to settle and learn what people want. I heard their selection was small but they sold out of a lot of things so keep checking back to see if they have what you want or request it. I just hope they they offer some things different than the usual run of the mill Jacks stuff. That's why Gerber's has such a good name.

So they may not have had much to choose from this time but with the profits they made from this hopefully go towards a good stock of fish and other items. B-IONIC and Kent supplies to me are pretty top notch. They may not have any of their own brands but I don't know of many small shops to have anything unless they are on a mass scale to be able to purchase some things or make their own and slap their brand on it which may floor. Not exactly the best thing to do IMO when starting up. It costs a fair amount of money to do that.

I wish them the best of luck dispute the not so excited responses seen on here.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 21:01:51 »
Well, they do not carry Kent products except for a algae scraper. What they are carrying is Brightwell products including the salt. Ecoxotic leds, and many other good items. Go see what they have and let them know if there is a product you use that is not available elsewhere. They are open to suggestions as are all the area shops.
Chromiumlux

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 02:54:09 »
I got there around 2:30pm and there was a nice selection of stuff, they had a beautiful copperband butterfly a couple nice tangs, those ORA clowns were awesome. as far as corals they did have some stuff that was really nice, but mostly starter corals, I would like to see a little more color in there tanks, but I did love how everything was priced out with etched pvc that was cool. They had a nice selection of Korrilla's although i'm not sure exactly what they were asking for them. THey did have filter socks which is unusual for a petshop to have. They were both very nice and helpful, and As i was talking to them i found out that they had already sold quite a bit before I got there. I drove an hour and 10 min to get there, and I'll make the trip again, I applaud them for stepping out and taking a chance, I just wish they were a little closer to me ;-) I would say give them a little time to get a feel for what everyone is looking for and that is going to be a really nice little shop.

PS. as far as the door prizes (Raffle) I am not going to complain. I got a phone call today and I won some misc food, and one of those awesome LED lights they have over there tanks! I will probably order one or two more and use them as kickers on my 75g to the 2- 250W MH.

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:47:12 »
I was one of the first in the door and i was very happy ya everyone would have like to see more corals but starting a business isnt easy i wish them luck and i will support them the rimless tank looked great had to bring home one for a new frag tank think im going to give them a week or so to stock up then head back in pick up a few things i wish i could have meet some of you when i was there seemed like a bunch of nice people and a group i would like to be a part of i also picked up some zoas ill try to get some pics up thanks again

Offline NEWMAN

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 21:55:08 »
Just want to give a special thanks to CORAL COVE for the PH controller that I won over the weekend for the raffle. Its nice to see aquarium shops opening up. :-ThumbUpsm  Go check them out!!