2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Phishy Business  (Read 3547 times)

Offline stifrk

• Fry
Phishy Business
« on: May 06, 2010, 10:40:10 »
Ok so I was in Columbus and new to saltwater.  Have had fresh water for many years and was always interested in Saltwater just never had the money to invest and do it right.

I started buying things at the semi annual sale at Aquarium Adventures (price of tank, stand, canopy was really good) and then came the filters and such.  I was told for a 65g soft coral tank I would want high flow, and so being the good little sheep I was, said ok how many should I buy.  They suggested I get 4 of the Koralia 4's for $129 a pop.  I did so and didnt think anything about it.  I started out and bought 20lbs of LR from them for $12 a pound and went on my way.

After I let the tank build up, and after reading more about how much LR I would need.. I did the math and said "holy crap" at the price of rock alone at $12 a lb.  So I ended up meeting a guy with a 250g reef tank in columbus and he pointed me in a few right directions.

Long story short, I went to Phishy Business and they sold me lace rock, which they cut me a heck of a deal on because I wanted 100lbs of it AND they threw in a few nice large grapefruit sized peices of fully encrusted LR to really help seed the lace rock for free. I was very impressed to say the least.  And as a side note as I was walking on my way out I found out they were selling the same Koralia 4's for less than half of what Aquarium Adventure was selling them for.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
Re: Phishy Business
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:32:53 »
Ouch!
I would contact some of the sponsors on here.  i know Rich at Coral Ranch has always been very helpful when purchasing.
I know I spent way too much money initially on overpriced equipment!
Good luck
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:02:22 »
Ouch!
I would contact some of the sponsors on here.  i know Rich at Coral Ranch has always been very helpful when purchasing.
I know I spent way too much money initially on overpriced equipment!
Good luck
Agreed. We have some really great sponsors on here who always try to keep their prices fair or low. They have frequent sales, and are always available to help.
I have been to Phishy's too, and Aaron has always been very helpful when we are there.

Offline Frogtoad

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 00:22:08 »
Phishy Business is quite easily the best LFS in the columbus area. I've been to Aquarium Adventure and every Jack's Aquarium and none of them can beat it in terms of quality and value.
A really nice thing about their fish tanks is that all the fish for sale are healthy and if some have an illness they are quickly taken excellent care of. I know I've personally seen systems and fishes with ich for sale in some of the other stores.

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 00:40:03 »
Phishy Business is quite easily the best LFS in the columbus area. I've been to Aquarium Adventure and every Jack's Aquarium and none of them can beat it in terms of quality and value.
A really nice thing about their fish tanks is that all the fish for sale are healthy and if some have an illness they are quickly taken excellent care of. I know I've personally seen systems and fishes with ich for sale in some of the other stores.

Love to hear it from a local !

I am going to be heading up there in a few weeks and thought I would stop in. Never been there before.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:16:56 »
ya but they are high on some of there stuff
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Seano Hermano

• Seano
  • Adult
    • Concept Reef
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 15:20:35 »
I have been to Aquarium Adventure before & they are way overpriced. They sure seem to be eager to sell stuff too. I see the price has on LR one up since I was there a year ago. It was high even at $10/lb. 4 k4's is way too much flow, especially for softies. I will be looking into 3 koralia evo 750's for a 75gmixed reef.

I've been to the Jack's Aquarium & pets in Findlay, OH. They have great prices on tank/equipment. Tanks are sold at $1/gallon. I don't know if I would go there for livestock though.

Now, about this, "Phishy Business"..where is it located? I'd like to check it out.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 15:23:28 by Seano Hermano »
Sean

29G Reef Build
10G sump
Hydor Slim Skim Nano protein skimmer
Danner Mag Drive 7 return pump

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 15:39:09 »
Over in Gahanna  ;)

Offline Seano Hermano

• Seano
  • Adult
    • Concept Reef
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 21:04:13 »
Thanks. They appear to have some good stuff on their site.

Do you remember the rock scape in the large almost floor-to-ceiling FOWLR tank in Aquarium Adventures? It was towards the back of the store near the books. well I want to resemble that tank with my rock scape. :)
Sean

29G Reef Build
10G sump
Hydor Slim Skim Nano protein skimmer
Danner Mag Drive 7 return pump

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 21:33:30 »
Yep left hand side of the store love the rock work. I usually go over there and sit while wife and kids walk around

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 22:20:50 »
ya thats a great setup they have
SIZE DOES MATTER