2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: clown fish pairing?  (Read 1486 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
clown fish pairing?
« on: January 20, 2012, 18:12:47 »
I know that clowns are able to change sex from male to female but will they change the other way if 2 females might be in the same tank?  I have a single clown and would like to add another clown for a mate.  I have notice the existing clown acting like it is laying eggs on the underside of a rock so I figured it is a female.  I wasnt sure how to go about being somewhat sure that I purchased a male?
thanks
Jeff

Offline Steve

• Adult
Re: clown fish pairing?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 19:00:55 »
I think all clowns are born male so if you get a small one it may give you a good chance. What type do you have? Some clowns once they have established territory are difficult to add partners with. Tank size can play a roll also.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 21:28:54 »
She has been the only one in the tank for quite some time.  My tank is a 180 and the clown is a Ocellaris Clown.  I have been afraid to add another for just the same reason you mentioned.  I have never forgot when I was new at this and added a new maroon clown to an existing clown being in a 30 gallon tank.  I would have never thought a fish could be so brutally mean.
Jeff

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 21:48:55 »
a female cant not change back to a male
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 22:31:59 »
Correct, it goes from juvenile (unsexed) -> male -> female, and that direction is one-way.

If you think you have a female, get a fish smaller than your current one, which hopefully means it's a juvenile or male.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 00:15:48 »
In a tank that size with ocellaris you can actually do a small school. I think my nephew had 5 in a 120. I have always wanted to do a tank with a Ritteri anemone and a school of ocellaris or perculas.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2012, 08:23:34 »
I've added a new clown a few different times with great success!  Make sure the new clown is much smaller and you will be fine.  There will be a little picking from the female to make sure he knows his place but other than that all should be fine.