2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Internal Parasite/Worms  (Read 1561 times)

Offline Straasha

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Internal Parasite/Worms
« on: May 11, 2020, 15:02:10 »
I bought a Clownfish that I found after I got home had an internal parasite/worms.  I treated from Tuesday to Saturday using API General Cure.  How long after the treatment does it take to be sure he is good to go?  If not, what other options do I have to cure him?

I called Gerbers, they wouldn't take him back.  They suggested I try New Life Spectrum Thera+A.  Not sure if that will help.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
Re: Internal Parasite/Worms
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 18:26:28 »
so may i ask how did you diagnose the problem what symptoms did you observe?

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 21:56:06 »
I saw white stringy poop.  Some times 2 inches long.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 00:11:26 »
thanks

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 19:37:31 »
I saw white stringy poop.  Some times 2 inches long.
I’m not really sure it’s worms. I had a pair of clowns for over two years and they always had white stringy poop. But they were fat, great eaters and never had any other signs of a parasite. Just my experience.

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2020, 23:26:13 »
Fish can live with them. Sure sign is the white stringy poop. Here is a treatment guide to feed medicated food. Compliments of R2R and Humblefish.

Food soaking vs. dosing the water – Sometimes dosing the water with the above medication(s) can help clear an internal pathogen. After all, fish do drink the water, and their skin will absorb medications. However, I feel soaking fish food with medication(s) is the best way to treat internal problems for obvious reasons. Food soaking delivers meds directly into the gut where most internal pathogens live. In order to food soak, you should also use a binder (e.g. Seachem Focus, unflavored gelatin, agar) to prevent the medication from just leaching out into the water. Binding also makes the treatment reef safe. :)  My recipe for food soaking metro (and prazi) can be found below:

Using a shot glass:
1 scoop (~ 1/8 teaspoon) of medication (Metroplex or General Cure)
1 scoop Seachem Focus (this makes it reef safe)
1 Tbsp food (preferably pellets or frozen food)
A pinch of Epsom salt to help expel dead worms/parasites
A few drops of saltwater or fish vitamins
Stir until a medicated food slurry has been achieved.
Feed after soaking for 30 mins.
Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers for future use.
You can feed this mix 1-2 times per day. Not recommend to exceed 2 feedings per day with medicated food.

Final Thoughts – Due to the resilience of these critters, it is recommended to treat (or food soak) for a minimum of 10 days. However, it is not uncommon for symptoms to persist for up to 3 weeks. :eek:  And just like with any other disease, you will sooner or later run up against a strain which seems resistant to the preferred treatment. In which case, you should seek out an alternative medication. (e.g. Using fenbendazole, levamisole or piperazine in lieu of praziquantel to treat stubborn intestinal worms.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 00:04:15 by JMM »

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 06:54:34 »
Thanks!