2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Berghia Nudibranch Stocking Level  (Read 5884 times)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Re: Berghia Nudibranch Stocking Level
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2011, 08:17:36 »
How many aiptasia do you have in your reef? They recommended a lot more berghia for my system based on my existing population.

I have maybe 100 that i can see

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2011, 18:41:33 »
I'm just going to withdraw from this conversation. You mentioning how the nudi's could die from power heads and pumps tells me you are just reaching for anything to prove yourself more correct than me on how many people "need". I got 6 because not everyone has the money to throw at 30. I could have gotten more, but I'm trying to show to others that spending $100, which isnt all that much to many, on these little guys who have on averave 1/2 the tank size of us, that these little guys can do the job and how well they can do it. I'm not a believer in the rule of thumbs for certain things. I dont believe in instant gratification.

Apparently, my announcement that I am planning on adding a fixed amount of berghia to my reef for an upcoming aiptasia removal project rubbed you the wrong way. I have always read that 8 to 10 berghia per 100 gallons is a good starting point to rid your tank of aiptasia, which is what I am going to do. Good luck with your approach as well.   :-ThumbUpsm

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2011, 19:42:35 »
Tim,

Are you going the "eat all the aiptasia then the nudis die" route or planning on breeding them?  Back when i had my dreams of making money in the hobby :) i looked into bergias.  It apparently takes a ridiculous amount of water volume and hard work to produce enough aiptasia once the nudis take hold,  They breed quick but eat ALOT.  I think thats one reasons breeders charge so much per specimen
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2011, 23:03:41 »
Tim,

Are you going the "eat all the aiptasia then the nudis die" route or planning on breeding them?  Back when i had my dreams of making money in the hobby :) i looked into bergias.  It apparently takes a ridiculous amount of water volume and hard work to produce enough aiptasia once the nudis take hold,  They breed quick but eat ALOT.  I think thats one reasons breeders charge so much per specimen

I will most likely try to breed berghia in a separate dedicated QT tank from the start to help build up my colony in the display tank. If I go the breeding route first, the plan would be to place 6 berghia into my 30 gallon breeder tank, and add another 24 berghia into my display tank. My 125 gallon refugium will turn into my aiptasia safe zone, where aiptasia will be encouraged to reproduce unchecked.  I will not  be able to breed berghia in my display. I have way too many tiny predators that will go after berghia eggs....you have seen how large the amphipods get in my tank and refugium.  :-ThumbUpsm

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2011, 23:07:57 »
sounds like a good plan, i just wonder how much of a pain it will be to feed them, if its a pain at all. If you go the breeding route.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2011, 23:20:42 »
you have seen how large the amphipods get in my tank and refugium.  :-ThumbUpsm
You mean Prawns? :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2011, 20:02:25 »

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2011, 20:07:21 »
Update- I ordered 25 adult (1/2" sized +) berghia today for my 300g display from Lisa at the Salty Underground.  They should arrive Saturday morning for pickup at my local fed ex location. I am leaning against trying to breed them ...sounds like too much work.  ;)

indo_reefer

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 23:15:16 »
I am having a massive aiptasia problem as well in my 90 gallon reef. I am looking to start up a breeding co-op where reef tank owners who have berghia left after the infestation is taken care of give away the berghia to others who need them; and if your problem ever comes back then one of the reefers you gave them to will surely have enough and will return the favor. The problem is finding enough people who want to give them away.

I am currently compiling a list of individuals who need berghia and a list of people who would like to give them away once their infestation is taken care of or reduced to almost none.

If anyone wants to be part of the co-op email me please.

Thanks

Offline SapperChris

• Fry
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2011, 05:36:11 »
I've been having aiptasia completely taking over my tank for a while now. I have tried several different methods to remove them, (peppermint shrimp, Aiptasia-X, lemon juice...) and nothing has really worked. In fact the chemical approach has made it worse if anything. I had read about the Berghia online at Salty Underground but kind of forgot about them until I read this thread. I ordered 6 for my 55 gal. reef tank today. With the holidays I'm not sure when they will arrive, but the sooner the better! I will try to take some before and after pics to see how well they work. I like the idea of giving them away to someone else that needs to rid their tank and not just let them die off when the aiptasia are gone. I'll post the pics, probably in a new thread, in a few months once the aiptasia are gone and see if anyone needs them for their tank.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2011, 11:49:15 »
Consider premium Ohio Reef membership. It is only 10$ and you get access to the aptasia zapper. It plugs into the wall and you touch them with it and push a button
  :th_madboom: