2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Could Plasma be the light of the future for our hobby?  (Read 2180 times)

Offline aquavista99

Could Plasma be the light of the future for our hobby?
« on: February 22, 2011, 22:00:35 »

Offline HUNGER

Re: Could Plasma be the light of the future for our hobby?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 22:13:46 »
sounds like i need to buy stock in plasma  >:D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 00:23:39 »
That is nuts. Did you see this one Tim? http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=10441.0

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 01:19:13 »
Yes, I saw that video on another forum. As for the video itself, the LED lights are certainly brighter, but what about the PAR numbers? Brightness alone does not always equal PAR. And what about degradation of the LEDs? Do we really have any data on PAR loss over time using LEDs? Also, I wonder just how old the metal halide lights were in comparison to the brand new LEDs in the video. Hobbyists who run halides know that the light intensity diminishes over time dramatically (ie, there is a difference between using a 2 month old halide bulb vs. using a 2 year old halide bulb ...and the difference is dramatic!). I suspect the aquarium was using very old halide bulbs for the comparison when the video was made.  I am very excited about the savings using LEDs over halides, but I have also had a lot of success growing difficult to keep SPS under metal halides only. When I see other hobbyists growing full blown mature SPS reefs from 1" SPS frags using LED lights only, then I would consider making the change....but as of right now, I will not trust anything to my SPS reef but halide lights. But by the time I consider a new light source, maybe Plasma will be the next greatest thing.... :-ThumbUpsm

That is nuts. Did you see this one Tim? http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=10441.0

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 09:46:23 »
Isnt there a company already selling "plasma" to reefers?  I thought i was an add in a reef magazine for it.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 09:57:44 »
There is an ad in Coral magazine for plasma dont remember the company name off hand
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 16:48:15 »
Too cool.... as soon as I have everything all set and in place - I'll have to upgrade - LOL!!!! :matrix-smiley-007:

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 00:39:44 »
Expected retail on the 24″ model is $2,995 USD while the 48″ model ought to land here for $5,895. Dimmable T5s can be added for an additional $500 on the 24″ model and $600 for the 48″.

........ :o
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz